Segment and joint angles problem.

In summary, the conversation discussed how to calculate the knee joint angle based on the XY coordinates of the hip, knee, and ankle joint centers. The recommended methods were to either use the tangent function or the dot product to find the angle between the upper and lower leg. The student was able to get a close answer using the tangent method but may need clarification from their teacher on rounding.
clokey34

Homework Statement

Calculate the knee joint angle based on the XY coordinates of the hip, knee
and ankle joint centres.

Hip joint(x = 1.0183, y = 0.7959)
Knee joint(x = 1.1223, y = 0.5042)
Ankle joint(x = 1.0539, y = 0.1081)

Homework Equations

θjoint = θproximal −θdistal

The Attempt at a Solution

Biomechanics student here.
Not sure how to do this. I'm sure its a simple one just confused how to start. It is supposed to come out to 29.42 deg. Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi clokey34! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Draw the graph, and use the letters H K and A.

Then the upper leg is KH, and the lower leg is KA, and you want the angle between KH and KA.

So use coordinates to write KH and KA as vectors: KH = H - K, KA = A - K,

Then there's two methods:

i] use tanθ = y/x to get θproximal and θdistal, and then use θjoint = θproximal −θdistal, or:

ii] dot-product KH and KA, and divide by their ordinary product: cosθ = KH.KA/|KH||KA|.

Can you do either of them, or do you need more help? :smile:

Thank you very much. :)

tanθ = y/x was helpful! My answer came close within a degree, but I suppose there was issues rounding, I'll ask my teacher what he wants.

Related to Segment and joint angles problem.

1. What are segment and joint angles?

Segment and joint angles refer to the measurement of the angle formed between two segments or bones in the human body. These angles are important in understanding the movement and function of different joints in the body.

2. Why is it important to measure segment and joint angles?

Measuring segment and joint angles can provide valuable information about an individual's range of motion, joint stability, and movement patterns. This information can be used to diagnose and treat musculoskeletal conditions, improve athletic performance, and prevent injuries.

3. How are segment and joint angles measured?

Segment and joint angles can be measured using various methods such as goniometry, motion capture systems, and video analysis. Goniometry involves using a tool called a goniometer to measure the angle formed between two segments. Motion capture systems use special cameras and markers to track the movement of joints. Video analysis involves recording and analyzing movements using video footage.

4. What factors can affect segment and joint angles?

Segment and joint angles can be affected by a variety of factors such as age, gender, body composition, and physical activity level. Injuries, diseases, and structural variations in the body can also impact segment and joint angles.

5. How can segment and joint angles be used in research?

Segment and joint angles are commonly used in research studies to investigate the biomechanics of human movement. They can provide insights into how different factors, such as equipment, training, and environment, affect movement patterns and joint function. This information can be used to improve techniques, prevent injuries, and enhance performance in various fields such as sports, ergonomics, and rehabilitation.