Seems like all Brits will be wind powered soon

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wind
In summary, the UK government plans to create up to 33 gigawatts of offshore wind energy, which could power every home in Britain by 2020. This would require around 7,000 turbines and would make the country more self-sufficient and responsive to climate change. However, tough choices will have to be made to achieve this goal, and some suggest implementing building regulations for solar panels on all new buildings.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2007/dec/10/politics

Thousands of new off-shore wind turbines could power every home in Britain by 2020, the government will say today, as it announces new wind energy plans.

John Hutton, the secretary of state for business, enterprise and regulatory reform, will propose the creation of up to 33 gigawatts of offshore wind energy at a European energy industry conference in Berlin.

He will call for companies to invest in large-scale farm development to generate enough power for up to 25 million homes in the next 12 years.

That would require around 7,000 turbines, or one every half-mile, Hutton told the BBC1 Politics Show yesterday. He admitted that "tough choices" would have to be made if the UK wanted to respond to climate change and become more self-sufficient.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wish they'd augment it with building regulations requiring all new buildings to have solar panels or something like that. Every building has a roof so why waste space.

After reading the title, I thought this thread would be about feeding all Brits a steady diet of Cornish pasties.

George Jones said:
After reading the title, I thought this thread would be about feeding all Brits a steady diet of Cornish pasties.

What do you think powers the turbines?

George Jones said:

One of my cleaver ploys.

Ya tricked me too Wolly..lol

I wish the UK all the success for the new turbines, I think its a great idea.

Related to Seems like all Brits will be wind powered soon

1. What does it mean for all Brits to be wind powered?

The statement suggests that all energy consumed by Brits will be generated from wind power, meaning they will no longer rely on non-renewable sources like fossil fuels.

2. Is this a realistic goal for the UK?

Yes, it is a realistic goal as the UK has been steadily increasing its use of wind power in recent years and has set targets to reach net-zero emissions by 2050. Additionally, the UK has a strong wind resource and has already seen successful implementation of offshore wind farms.

3. How will this transition to wind power affect the economy?

This transition is expected to have a positive impact on the economy as it will create new jobs in the renewable energy sector and reduce reliance on costly imports of fossil fuels.

4. What challenges may arise from this shift to wind power?

One potential challenge is the intermittency of wind power, which means it cannot always meet the demand for electricity. This may require the development of energy storage solutions or the use of other renewable sources like solar or hydro power.

5. Are there any potential environmental benefits to using wind power?

Yes, there are several environmental benefits to using wind power as it produces no air or water pollution, emits no greenhouse gases, and requires minimal use of water resources. It also helps to mitigate the impacts of climate change by reducing carbon emissions.