Seemingly simple Physics 2 wave question (third harmonic frequency)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the correct answer for a specific problem and the importance of showing the process and units in calculations. It also mentions the relationship between wavelength and length of a string.
novera
Homework Statement
A string vibrates at its third-harmonic frequency. The amplitude at a point 35 cm from one end is half the maximum amplitude. How long is the string?
Relevant Equations
y=Acos(ωt)sin(kx)
I cannot find the correct answer anywhere online and the answer I keep getting is 5.4 (incorrect)

Please show me the process to get to the answer! Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
1. For what values of the argument ##\theta## does ##\sin(\theta)## equal 1/2? 35 cm corresponds to ##kx## having that value. Since you know what ##x## is, that gives you possible values for ##k = 2\pi/\lambda## and therefore you can work out ##\lambda##.

2. For the third harmonic, what is the relationship between ##\lambda## and the length of the string?

3. If you want a comment on your calculations, show your calculations. Saying "I got 5.4" is pointless and carries no information. Also you didn't include any units. Was that 5.4 km? mm? miles? Light years?

It seems to me that as there are multiple answers for my first question, there are multiple answers to this problem.

Related to Seemingly simple Physics 2 wave question (third harmonic frequency)

What is the third harmonic frequency?

The third harmonic frequency is a multiple of the fundamental frequency, which is the lowest frequency at which a wave can vibrate. In other words, it is three times the fundamental frequency.

How is the third harmonic frequency related to the first and second harmonics?

The first harmonic frequency is the fundamental frequency, the second harmonic is twice the fundamental frequency, and the third harmonic is three times the fundamental frequency. This relationship continues for all harmonics.

What does the third harmonic frequency tell us about a wave?

The third harmonic frequency tells us about the shape and characteristics of a wave. It is an important factor in understanding how waves behave and interact with their surroundings.

How is the third harmonic frequency calculated?

The third harmonic frequency can be calculated by multiplying the fundamental frequency by three. For example, if the fundamental frequency is 100 Hz, the third harmonic frequency would be 300 Hz.

What are some real-life applications of the third harmonic frequency?

The third harmonic frequency has many practical applications, including in music, electronics, and medical imaging. For example, in music, the third harmonic frequency is used to create harmonies and different tones. In electronics, it is used in the design of circuits and filters. In medical imaging, it is used in techniques such as ultrasound and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).