Seemingly Non-Separable Differential Equation

In summary: Do you see how to continue from here?In summary, the conversation is about trying to find the parametric equation for a second order differential equation with constant coefficients. The attempt at a solution involved reducing the equation to one order and getting stuck in trying to separate the variables. The solution suggested integrating both sides to solve for the variables.
danomite

Homework Statement

I am trying to find the parametric equation that describes the following second order differential equation:

Homework Equations

[itex]m\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}=-mg - k\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex]

Where m, g, and k are all constants.

The Attempt at a Solution

I substituted [itex]u=\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex] to reduce the order of the equation to one. Now I have:

[itex]m\frac{du}{dt}=-mg-ku[/itex]

And I have been stuck here. I don't see how to separate the variables, can anybody help out?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's just a linear differential equation with constant coefficients. Have you seen how to solve these??

I have seen how to solve simple ones. My main problem here is isolating t and u. The algebra doesn't work out, and I've been so far unsuccessful in finding a substitution that will separate these variables.

Find a suitable CONSTANT addition to "u"

danomite said:

Homework Statement

I am trying to find the parametric equation that describes the following second order differential equation:

Homework Equations

[itex]m\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}=-mg - k\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex]

Where m, g, and k are all constants.

The Attempt at a Solution

I substituted [itex]u=\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex] to reduce the order of the equation to one. Now I have:

[itex]m\frac{du}{dt}=-mg-ku[/itex]

And I have been stuck here. I don't see how to separate the variables, can anybody help out?
Since there is no variable, t, itself in the equation, it is pretty trivial to separate!

[itex]m\frac{du}{ku+ mg}= - dt[/itex]

Now integrate both sides.

Related to Seemingly Non-Separable Differential Equation

What is a seemingly non-separable differential equation?

A seemingly non-separable differential equation is a type of differential equation that cannot be solved using the standard method of separation of variables. It often involves terms that appear to be non-separable, meaning they cannot be separated into distinct functions of the independent variable.

What makes a differential equation seemingly non-separable?

A differential equation is considered seemingly non-separable if it contains terms that cannot be separated into distinct functions of the independent variable, or if it cannot be solved using the standard method of separation of variables.

Is it possible to solve a seemingly non-separable differential equation?

Yes, it is possible to solve a seemingly non-separable differential equation using alternative methods such as substitution, transformation, or using numerical techniques. However, these methods may not always provide an exact solution and may require approximations.

What are some examples of seemingly non-separable differential equations?

Examples of seemingly non-separable differential equations include the heat equation, wave equation, and Laplace's equation. These equations often involve multiple variables and may not be solved using the standard method of separation of variables.

What are the applications of seemingly non-separable differential equations?

Seemingly non-separable differential equations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to model complex systems and phenomena. They can provide valuable insights and solutions to real-world problems, such as heat transfer, wave propagation, and fluid dynamics.