Seeking resources for logicians

• I
  • Thread starter Fervent Freyja
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resources
In summary, the conversation revolves around the need for help with a complex personal problem and finding a logician or someone with better judgement to assist. The suggestion of using the Yi Ching and the book "The Wisdom of Psychopaths" is mentioned. The individual also mentions trying various methods such as decision theory in economics to predict outcomes. There is also a concern for the safety of their child and the failure of local resources to help. The conversation also touches on the limitations of logic in dealing with real-life situations.
Fervent Freyja
Gold Member
Hi,

Does anyone know of any online groups/forums of primarily logicians and strategists that I can use to help me do a long walk through a complex personal problem?

I am in urgent need of someone with better judgement than myself that can take their time to build coherence before dismissing me. I also wish I could find someone to help me become better at a game I have no choice but to play.

Where can I buy a great logician? I don't want a therapist. I have already applied a variety of logical methods to the problem(s) and nobody can understand it in my format.

Any direction or resources would be very much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you considered the Yi Ching?

Its more famous as an oracular book but it’s really more like a compass for when you’re stuck and don’t know what to do. I’ve used on occasion to decide the best course of action in a particular situation.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Ching

Its roots are in Taoism and follows the notion of Wu-Wei that is doing nothing unnecessary, economy of action.

Lastly as a note to other posters, please be aware that we cannot provide any medical advice here on PF.

Likes Fervent Freyja
It would do you good to look at some local freelance websites, maybe craigslist or something of the sort. BTW Are you really 116?

Likes Fervent Freyja
Fervent Freyja said:
Any direction or resources would be very much appreciated.
I first thought decision theory in economics would be the right choice. There are methods to determine individual risk behavior, and based on that one can tackle decisions by evaluating covariances and expectation values. Of course there's much empiric evaluation in it, but otherwise the gap between pure logic and individual characteristics can hardly be closed. The Vulcan way normally doesn't work for emotional creatures as we are.

Likes Fervent Freyja
jedishrfu said:
Have you considered the Yi Ching?

No, I will look though. Thanks! I am more interested in using an established model to predict outcomes about a decision I've already made.

jedishrfu said:
There’s also a book out called The Wisdom Of Psychopaths where the author showed how they can often cut through a problem like Alexander the Great did to the Gordian Knot.

Interesting, I didn't know pyschopath's were effective at anything but abandoning their daughters.

lekh2003 said:
It would do you good to look at some local freelance websites, maybe craigslist or something of the sort. BTW Are you really 116?

Thanks, I will try that once I've exhausted a few more options. No, I'm 30. :)

fresh_42 said:
I first thought decision theory in economics would be the right choice. There are methods to determine individual risk behavior, and based on that one can tackle decisions by evaluating covariances and expectation values. Of course there's much empiric evaluation in it, but otherwise the gap between pure logic and individual characteristics can hardly be closed. The Vulcan way normally doesn't work for emotional creatures as we are.

Thanks, fresh. The issue is also concerning another person's negative emotional reaction to a decision I've made. I'm trying to prevent someone deciding to hurt my child or me. All my local resources (family, "friends", university, counselors/therapist/psychiatrist, authorities, and pretty much everyone I've come into contact with) have utterly failed us. I have only ever asked anyone for help with this and nothing.

I'm tired and want a logician on my side.

Fervent Freyja said:
I'm tired and want a logician on my side.
I'm not quite sure what you think a logician is. Logic basically deals with formal languages and deduction rules. I don't think it applies very well to real life situations. On the other hand, if you should mean someone like the Spock character in Star Trek, then I guess you will find plenty of them here. You sound a bit as if you knew all the answers and only want a confirmation on potentially hard decisions. What I thought about even before the economical decision theory was indeed your daughter, but I didn't want to mention her before you did.

So whatever you are struggling with, it all has to queue up behind the needs and welfare of your daughter. It is with respect to her simply of no interest at all. Nada. Rien. Lebesgue measure zero. So whatever threatens her, threatens you as well and must be eliminated. Sorry, for this strong position on that. Maybe my not logical educated sister can help you. I think she's a) in reach and b) has a lot of life experience and c) brought up two sons.

Likes Fervent Freyja, Evo and berkeman
Logic doesn’t dictate the human heart. If there is some strong emotional content here as in a disgruntled person then you need to think more defensively and prepare for the worst case, reasoning with the person won’t help.

Likes Fervent Freyja and Evo
@Fervent Freyja , I would have to agree with @jedishrfu on this. If someone is reacting to you due to an emotional response, no amount of logic will be able to help you to deal with this.

You stated that you contacted the authorities and they have failed you -- is this a matter of life and death for you? If you don't want to discuss here openly, please PM me instead.

Likes Fervent Freyja
Fervent Freyja said:
I'm trying to prevent someone deciding to hurt my child or me. All my local resources (family, "friends", university, counselors/therapist/psychiatrist, authorities, and pretty much everyone I've come into contact with) have utterly failed us.
It looks like you are in the US. Are you saying that you have applied for a restraining order against this person, and been denied?

berkeman said:
It looks like you are in the US. Are you saying that you have applied for a restraining order against this person, and been denied?

There will be no problem getting a long term restraining order to protect myself. At all.

The problem is that I will not be able to get one to hold to protect my child for more than 2 weeks unless I lie. All I ask for is her to be protected for 3 months so that professionals can intervene to evaluate and counsel, to prevent what I believe could happen. My reason, my experience, my intuition and a gut-wrenching instinctual response that frequently has had me shaking and terrified has all told me something could happen.

Sad, isn't it? I should have a basic human right to protect my child I alone have cared for. I am setting it up at current that my efforts will be public if something happens to us.

Yes, I have had legal cousel and both the county and city police are aware. They will be held accountable if something happens to her.

Edit: I have tried through the typical routes. But I cannot give up. I often find my own judgement has been off in the past and need assurance from someone that can take an impersonal analysis of the situation. There aren't any real established assessments or experts that I can find for this situation. The only option is to walk into a woman's shelter with little evidence. I am trying to avoid it.

I need a logician. I need a logician.

Last edited:
Yes, you are caught in a difficult situation where the court and law enforcement can do little when no crime has been committed even though you know one is imminent through intuition. Any tactician will tell you to minimize contact, ensure friends are present when contact is made in a public space and to distance yourself in a properly protected safe place with video surveillance.

Sun-Tzu Bing Fa: The Art of War by Sun Tze

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Art_of_War

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LWO626/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Likes bhobba and Fervent Freyja
@Fervent Freyja -- we will take this to PMs to try our best to be of help.

Likes Fervent Freyja

Related to Seeking resources for logicians

1. What types of resources are available for logicians?

There are a variety of resources available for logicians, including textbooks, academic journals, online databases, research articles, and conferences. These resources cover a wide range of topics such as logic theory, mathematical logic, and philosophical logic.

2. How can I access resources for logicians?

Many resources for logicians are available online through university libraries or academic databases. Some resources may require a subscription or payment, while others are open access. Additionally, physical copies of resources can often be found in university or public libraries.

3. Are there any online communities or forums for logicians?

Yes, there are several online communities and forums where logicians can connect with others in their field. These include websites such as Reddit, Quora, and Stack Exchange, where discussions and Q&A sessions related to logic and mathematics take place.

4. Are there any specific resources for beginner logicians?

Yes, there are resources specifically designed for those new to the field of logic. These resources often provide a basic overview of logic principles and terminology, as well as exercises and examples to help beginners understand and practice their skills.

5. How can I stay updated on the latest research and developments in logic?

Attending conferences and subscribing to academic journals are great ways to stay updated on the latest research and developments in logic. Additionally, many academic websites and organizations have newsletters or email updates that can keep you informed about new publications and events in the field.