Seeking example of 2nd order thermal system.

In summary, the conversation was about the study of 2nd order thermodynamics and the possibility of a 2nd order thermo system. The analogy between thermal capacity and an electronics capacitor was discussed, but the analogy to an inductor was questioned. The textbook mentioned that there is no analogy for flow storage in thermal systems.
DragonPetter
I'm not very experienced on heat laws and devices, other than general thermodynamics. But I am studying 2nd order systems, and the curiosity came up if there is a 2nd order thermo system, since my book only described a 1st order one.

I see the thermal capacity as an electronics capacitor, but what is the analogy to an inductor? Does this analogy only have so much limits on it to extend to 2nd order?

Any ideas appreciated :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
According to my old textbook (Modeling and Simulation of Dynamic Systems, Woods and Lawrence) an analogy for flow storage, i.e. inductance, for thermal systems "does not exist."

Related to Seeking example of 2nd order thermal system.

1. What is a 2nd order thermal system?

A 2nd order thermal system refers to a system that has two thermal masses and two thermal resistances. It is commonly used to model heat transfer in systems such as buildings, electronics, and industrial processes.

2. How is a 2nd order thermal system different from a 1st order thermal system?

A 1st order thermal system only has one thermal mass and one thermal resistance, while a 2nd order thermal system has two of each. This means that a 2nd order system is able to capture more complex thermal dynamics and can provide more accurate predictions of temperature changes over time.

3. What are some examples of 2nd order thermal systems?

Some examples of 2nd order thermal systems include buildings with heating and cooling systems, electronic devices with multiple components, and industrial processes involving heat transfer.

4. How is a 2nd order thermal system modeled mathematically?

A 2nd order thermal system can be modeled using a set of ordinary differential equations, where the thermal masses and resistances are represented as parameters. These equations can be solved using numerical methods to determine the temperature changes over time.

5. What are the benefits of using a 2nd order thermal system model?

Using a 2nd order thermal system model allows for more accurate predictions of temperature changes and can help in optimizing system design and energy efficiency. It also provides a better understanding of thermal dynamics and can aid in troubleshooting and maintenance of thermal systems.