Seeking a nerd well-versed in Cosmology and Dungeons & Dragons

• Thread starter DracoMorpheus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cosmology
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating a standard model for fantasy role-playing, incorporating elements such as magic, divine beings, psionics, and other mystical abilities into the laws of physics. The idea of quintessence from cosmology is mentioned as a potential explanation for these elements. However, it is noted that attempting to create a rigorous and consistent model similar to modern science would be extremely complex and may not be necessary for the enjoyment of the game.
DracoMorpheus
Summary:: A Standard Model for Fantasy Role-Playing?

Greetings fellow nerds. I am an amateur when it comes to cosmology. I know little in terms of cosmology beyond what I've seen on documentaries, of which I have watched dozens, if not hundreds. I've read Hyperspace by Michio Kaku and Black Holes and Baby Universes, A Brief History of Time, The Universe in a Nutshell and Theory of Everything by S.W. Hawking. However, I have no formal training in physics or cosmology beyond the high school level, and I only passed physics with a C. Hence why I am seeking help from someone smarter than myself.

You see, I am a Dungeon Master for 3.5 D&D and have been DMing for over 20 years now. The trouble is, my campaigns have gotten stale and over the years I've lost touch with the people who helped me build them and played in them. So I've decided to start fresh with a brand new Universe for a brand new campaign setting. I would like very much to design the laws of physics for this universe which produce a universe which is similar in size, scale and structure to our own, only the standard model for this universe would need to include exotic particles to allow for magic, divine beings, psionics, the force or other such mystical abilities and phenomena.

Let's get started with Quintessence, since quintessence is what gods are made of and Powerful divine beings which I have created as a DM shall create. According to the Immortals Handbook, which is one of many Supplement books I use in my campaigns, quintessence is made up of three components; Atma (Spirit), Buddhi (Soul) & Mana (Magic). In this way, Divinity springs forth from a combination of these three elementary particles in much the same way quarks combine to form baryons. For those of us who use Psionics supplements in our campaigns, there could be psionic gods and goddesses whose Divinity is comprised of "D-baryons" made of Atma, Buddhi & Psi instead. The Same may be possible for force gods if we substitute another hypothetical exotic particle (Midi-chlorians, perhaps?).

The ultimate question I am proposing here, is there any way we could build a consistent model, similar to the standard model, to explain physics in D&D?

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes pinball1970
Physics news on Phys.org
How come this question has been unanswered for so long? The description in the title applies to about half the people I know! @DracoMorpheus are you still around? I'm afraid I have no time to help at the moment beyond bumping, but I'll be back...

Likes pinball1970
DracoMorpheus said:
I would like very much to design the laws of physics for this universe which produce a universe which is similar in size, scale and structure to our own, only the standard model for this universe would need to include exotic particles to allow for magic, divine beings, psionics, the force or other such mystical abilities and phenomena.
Our standard model for the universe already does - around 85% of the mass is in a form that we can't see directly and we have no idea what it is.

DracoMorpheus said:
Let's get started with Quintessence
Oh we have Quintessence in cosmology too - it's one attempt to account for the 70-odd percent of energy in the universe we can't explain either.

DracoMorpheus said:
The ultimate question I am proposing here, is there any way we could build a consistent model, similar to the standard model, to explain physics in D&D?
Yes, it's called the standard model :))

DracoMorpheus said:
In a rigorous, mathematically consistent way similar to modern science? Maybe. But I doubt anyone here has the requisite knowledge of math and physics to do so. You'd basically be recreating all of science but with even greater complexity.

But so what? No one is ever going to delve into the physics of your created universe. Just hand-wave things to make an interesting universe and create good stories and scenarios.

Likes phinds
The author could just say magic resulted from interaction of neutrinos and pions. Who can say that it doesn't, hmmm?

Bruh. Its an imaginative game. Use your imagination!

1. What qualifications are necessary for a nerd well-versed in Cosmology and Dungeons & Dragons?

A nerd well-versed in Cosmology and Dungeons & Dragons should have a strong understanding of theoretical physics and cosmological concepts, as well as a deep knowledge of the Dungeons & Dragons game system and lore.

2. How can a nerd's knowledge of Cosmology and Dungeons & Dragons be useful?

A nerd's knowledge of Cosmology and Dungeons & Dragons can be useful in many ways, such as providing unique insights and perspectives on science and fantasy, and potentially even aiding in problem-solving and critical thinking skills.

3. Is it necessary for a nerd to have experience in both Cosmology and Dungeons & Dragons?

While it is not necessary for a nerd to have experience in both Cosmology and Dungeons & Dragons, it can be beneficial as it allows for a deeper understanding and connection between the two subjects.

4. What kind of tasks or projects might a nerd be involved in with this knowledge?

A nerd well-versed in Cosmology and Dungeons & Dragons could potentially be involved in a variety of tasks and projects, such as researching and writing about the intersection of science and fantasy, developing game mechanics and storylines for tabletop games, or even consulting on science fiction and fantasy films or TV shows.

5. How can one become a nerd well-versed in Cosmology and Dungeons & Dragons?

Becoming a nerd well-versed in Cosmology and Dungeons & Dragons requires a passion for both subjects and a dedication to learning and studying. One can start by reading books and articles on cosmology and playing Dungeons & Dragons, as well as joining online communities and attending conventions and events related to these topics.