Seeing red/green/violet lines around an object

• Thread starter JT73
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lines
In summary: This is distracting. So in summary, the OP is experiencing chromatic aberration with their glasses which is causing them to see a different color on the edges of objects when looking at them from certain angles. This is a common issue with eyeglasses and is due to the lenses being both refractive and reflective surfaces.
JT73
Hello,

I study physics on my own, but jump from one area to another and am also a beginner, so if this question is easy and obvious then my apologies. However if it is complicated, please answer it with whatever terms neccessary.

I have noticed that while in class (not physics) if I am looking down at my book on my desk that the edges of the paper will not appear white (which is the color of the paper) at certain angles. I end up seeing yellow/red lines/glow of the paper. It actually looks that color. I wear glasses and if I look at it from a certain way then I am thinking that the light from the ceiling is bouncing from my lens to my eye causing me to see the paper differently. Would this make sense or am I going about this wrong?

Also, the same thing happens wth another object in my room. If I am at a certain angle towards my lamp then an object I look at has a very defined red/green/violet hugh around it.

What is going on?

Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
JT73 said:
Hello,

I study physics on my own, but jump from one area to another and am also a beginner, so if this question is easy and obvious then my apologies. However if it is complicated, please answer it with whatever terms neccessary.

I have noticed that while in class (not physics) if I am looking down at my book on my desk that the edges of the paper will not appear white (which is the color of the paper) at certain angles. I end up seeing yellow/red lines/glow of the paper. It actually looks that color. I wear glasses and if I look at it from a certain way then I am thinking that the light from the ceiling is bouncing from my lens to my eye causing me to see the paper differently. Would this make sense or am I going about this wrong?

Also, the same thing happens wth another object in my room. If I am at a certain angle towards my lamp then an object I look at has a very defined red/green/violet hugh around it.

What is going on?

Thanks a lot
Hi and welcome to this forum!
Maybe it's a chromatic aberration of your lenses making up your glasses. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromatic_aberration.

P.S.:It happens with my glasses too but I can only see blue and red for contour of objects. This didn't happen with my previous glasses. If I remove my glasses the aberration disappear so my eyes have a smaller chromatic aberration than my glasses.

This same effect happens in refractor telescopes and binoculars. That is one of the main reasons that many people use reflecting telescopes, as they do not suffer from this effect.

Chromatic aberration is probably it, thanks.

Because eyeglasses are reflective surface as well, and not just refractive surfaces, there are other annoying visual artifacts as well. For instance, under proper lighting and at the right angle, you can see an image of your own eye in your glasses.

Related to Seeing red/green/violet lines around an object

1. Why do I see red lines around an object?

The red lines you see around an object are most likely caused by chromatic aberration, which is a common issue in optics. This occurs when the lens in your eye cannot properly focus all colors of light to the same point, resulting in a blurred or distorted image with red or green fringes. It can also be caused by light scattering due to imperfections in the lens or atmosphere.

2. Are these lines harmful to my vision?

No, seeing red or other colored lines around objects is usually not harmful to your vision. It is a common optical illusion and does not indicate any underlying health issues. However, if you experience persistent or severe visual disturbances, it is important to consult an eye doctor.

3. Can wearing glasses or contacts help reduce the appearance of these lines?

In some cases, wearing corrective lenses can help improve chromatic aberration and reduce the appearance of colored lines around objects. This is because glasses and contacts can help correct any refractive errors in your eye and bring all colors of light to the same focus point. However, this may not completely eliminate the lines, especially if they are caused by other factors such as light scattering.

4. Do certain medical conditions or medications cause these lines?

While chromatic aberration is a common cause of seeing red or other colored lines around objects, there are some medical conditions and medications that can cause similar visual disturbances. These include cataracts, glaucoma, and certain medications that affect the eye's ability to focus. If you are experiencing persistent or severe visual disturbances, it is important to consult a doctor to rule out any underlying health issues.

5. Are there any ways to prevent seeing these lines?

Unfortunately, there is no foolproof way to prevent seeing red or other colored lines around objects. However, wearing corrective lenses, avoiding bright and harsh lights, and taking regular breaks from screens and other visually demanding tasks may help reduce the frequency or severity of these visual disturbances. It is also important to have regular eye exams to check for any underlying eye conditions that may be causing the lines.