Does a 2-dimensional world really exist?

In summary: It's a satirical description of a flat world, where certain dimensions are "higher" than others, and creatures like humans only perceieve a two dimensional plane.
Lars1408
When we try to explain different dimensions we say that higher dimension beings have control over lower dimension beings. If a sphere moves trough a 2D world, the 2D beings will see a dot appear followed by a line which is increasing in size. Thereafter, the line decreases in size and becomes a dot again before it disappears completely.

However, when you think of a line you always think of a certain amount of height. A line without any form of height seams to me like it would be invisible. Even a piece of paper has height, even the graphite from the pencil which you draw with has a certain 3D trail on top of the paper.

When I imagine a 2D world, I imagine a very narrow horizontal area 360° around me in which I can see. It is however still an area with a height. So my question, does actual 2D exist? How can you have a line or a dot with no height?

Physics news on Phys.org
A two-dimensional space exists as a mathematical construct which can be useful in modelling systems found in the real world. However the world we live in is (as far as we know) three dimensional.

Likes DennisN, sophiecentaur, vanhees71 and 2 others
Lars1408 said:
So my question, does actual 2D exist?
One surface of a piece of paper is 2d. That, of course, is a mathematical abstraction. Whether it "really exists" or not is less important than whether the concept is useful.
Lars1408 said:
When we try to explain different dimensions we say that higher dimension beings have control over lower dimension beings.
Do we? I guess you've been reading Edwin Abbott's Flatland. Do remember that it's a satire on English social attitudes as well as a fun description of some different dimensional manifolds. Don't take it too literally.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71, jim mcnamara, Lars1408 and 1 other person
Ibix said:
One surface of a piece of paper is 2d. That, of course, is a mathematical abstraction. Whether it "really exists" or not is less important than whether the concept is useful.

Do we? I guess you've been reading Edwin Abbott's Flatland. Do remember that it's a satire on English social attitudes as well as a fun description of some different dimensional manifolds. Don't take it too literally.

With the second quote I mean that we could be above a 2D space withouth the 2D space ever knowing about this. IF a 2D world does exist it would make sense that they could only percieve the plane they are in.

Lars1408 said:
With the second quote I mean that we could be above a 2D space withouth the 2D space ever knowing about this. IF a 2D world does exist it would make sense that they could only percieve the plane they are in.

This is just a science fiction concept, science has nothing to say about this.

Likes jim mcnamara and Ibix
HomogenousCow said:
This is just a science fiction concept, science has nothing to say about this.
I think that's the perfect note on which to close this thread.

@Lars1408, have you read the classic "Flatland" by Edwin Abbott? (Just for fun.)

Likes vanhees71, etotheipi and Mark44

Related to Does a 2-dimensional world really exist?

1. What is a 2-dimensional world?

A 2-dimensional world is a hypothetical world that exists in only two dimensions: length and width. This means that objects in this world have no depth or height, and can only move in two directions.

2. Is a 2-dimensional world possible?

While a 2-dimensional world is possible in theory, it is not possible in our physical reality. Our world is three-dimensional, with length, width, and height. However, some scientists use the concept of a 2-dimensional world in mathematical models and simulations.

3. How do we know if a 2-dimensional world really exists?

We cannot definitively prove the existence of a 2-dimensional world, as it is a theoretical concept. However, some scientists have proposed that our three-dimensional world could be a projection of a higher-dimensional space, which could potentially include a 2-dimensional world.

4. Are there any examples of a 2-dimensional world?

There are no known examples of a 2-dimensional world in our physical reality. However, some video games and animations may depict characters and objects in a 2-dimensional world for entertainment purposes.

5. How does a 2-dimensional world differ from our world?

In a 2-dimensional world, there is no concept of depth or height, and objects can only move in two directions. This means that the laws of physics and geometry would be very different from our world, and it would be difficult for us to imagine or comprehend the functioning of a 2-dimensional world.