See the Changing Leaves - Check the Latest Fall Color Maps!

• Thread starter Redbelly98
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Color Fall
In summary, fall colors are currently peaking in parts of Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine. A website has maps of where the leaves are at peak color, updated twice a week. Some individuals have noticed a delay in the color change this year, while others have experienced a rapid change in colors. Some parts of the country, such as Houston and Arizona, do not experience traditional seasons, but others enjoy the changing colors of fall.
Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
It's that time of year again. Or as Bob Dylan would say, "the leaves, they are a-changin'."

I just found this cool website with maps of where the leaves are at peak color for parts of the USA. They update twice a week; go to these links and click on "Current _____ report" to get the latest maps.

http://www.foliagenetwork.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=34&Itemid=68"
http://www.foliagenetwork.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=36&Itemid=73"
http://www.foliagenetwork.net/index...&id=35:southeast-us&Itemid=53&layout=default"

Right now, fall colors are peaking in parts of Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan (upper peninsula), New York (Adirondacks), Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It feels like the colors are changing late this year. I'm driving up to MI next weekend and was hoping there'd be more color change by now. Oh, that reminds me I need to find out if hypatia is around next weekend. :biggrin:

There's a beautiful maple across the street from my office -as I sit at my computer, it's right in my line of view. Yesterday, I swear it was changing right before my eyes! It was about 1/3 changed in the morning, but almost completely changed when I left work that day. I've never seen anything like it.

I have no idea what you people are talking about.

Math Is Hard said:
:smile:

I grew up in Houston and always heard of this strange thing people would refer to as "seasons". I always loved cutting roses for the Christmas table out of my garden.

Math Is Hard said:

Fall colors, I believe this is brown County Indiana and probably taken last year.

http://www.dannyburk.com/images/brown co7.jpg

I especially love to get off of the main roads and drive the country roads. In many places the trees form a canopy over the road. It is like driving through a tunnel of color.

edward, nice pic!

evo, mih: that site is probably new and just hasn't gotten around to including texas and southern cali yet. Keep checking, I'm sure they'll add your areas soon.

Evo said:
:smile:

I grew up in Houston and always heard of this strange thing people would refer to as "seasons". I always loved cutting roses for the Christmas table out of my garden.

I grew up in Indiana and always loved the change of seasons. In AZ we only have January and summer.

edward said:
I grew up in Indiana and always loved the change of seasons. In AZ we only have January and summer.

Not true. The tops of the mountains are covered with aspen which turn a beautiful yellow. In addition there is maple which turns red and oak with more yellow.

However edward is right about the lowlands. No fall in the lowlands. In southern AZ it seldom drops below the mid 60s during the day even in mid winter. The nights are a different picture though. It can and does drop 40 degrees from day to night.

Bah, looks like the leaves have just started to turn in the North Carolina mountains. Not much point in driving up there for fall break next weekend. :frown:

Related to See the Changing Leaves - Check the Latest Fall Color Maps!

What causes the leaves to change color in the fall?

The change in leaf color is due to the decrease in daylight hours and cooler temperatures. This triggers a process in the leaves where they stop producing chlorophyll, which gives them their green color, and other pigments, such as carotenoids and anthocyanins, become more visible.

Why do some leaves change color earlier than others?

The timing of leaf color change is affected by a variety of factors, including tree species, weather conditions, and location. Trees in colder areas or higher elevations tend to change color earlier than those in warmer areas or lower elevations. Additionally, some tree species are genetically programmed to change color earlier or later than others.

How accurate are fall color maps?

Fall color maps are generally accurate, but they should be used as a guide rather than a guarantee. The timing and intensity of leaf color change can vary from year to year due to weather conditions, so it is best to check the map frequently for updates.

Is there a best time to see the changing leaves?

The best time to see the changing leaves varies depending on location and weather conditions. In general, mid to late October is a good time to see peak fall colors in the northern United States, while mid to late November is the best time for southern states. However, it is always best to check a fall color map for the most accurate information.

Do all trees change color in the fall?

No, not all trees change color in the fall. Evergreen trees, such as pine and spruce, keep their needles year-round and do not change color. Additionally, some tree species, such as oak and beech, may turn brown or bronze instead of vibrant colors.

Back