Secrets of Flywheels: Exploring Energy Storage and Delivery

In summary: So, you can use the same ω (39.69 rad/s) to find the new torque. T = P/ω = (3.8*10^5)/(39.69) = 9586.41 N*mIn summary, a flywheel is a large wheel used to store energy and can be spun up slowly and released quickly to accomplish high power tasks. Given its dimensions and maximum angular velocity, the flywheel's kinetic energy and torque can be calculated.
kikko

Homework Statement

Flywheels are large, massive wheels used to store energy. They can be spun up slowly, then the wheel's energy can be released quickly to accomplish a task that demands high power. An industrial flywheel has a 2.0 m diameter and a mass of 270 kg. Its maximum angular velocity is 1500 rpm.

A) A motor spins up the flywheel with a constant torque of 58 N\cdot m. How long does it take the flywheel to reach top speed?

B) How much energy is stored in the flywheel?

C) The flywheel is disconnected from the motor and connected to a machine to which it will deliver energy. Half the energy stored in the flywheel is delivered in 2.2 s. What is the average power delivered to the machine?

D) How much torque does the flywheel exert on the machine?

Homework Equations

T = r x F
a = Tnet/I
I = [tex]\Sigma[/tex]mr^2
Krot = .5Iw^2
Period = 2pi/w
I=.5MR^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I first apologize for the lack of units, I'm not very solid with units while doing rotational work and get confused as to what they should be.

I = .5(270)(2)^2 = 540kg*m^2
1500rpm = 2pi/w = 25 rounds/seconds
w = 39.59
a = (58/540) = .107 (theta)/s^2

Actually, I just solved the first part when typing that out at 370s. The rest of the problems seem pretty linear, but I can't figure them out. I'm just plugging it into the Krot=.5Iw^2 forumla, and the answer comes out wrong.

I've tried this problem for a couple hours and asked tenish people from my physics class how to do it, but they couldn't figure it out either.

Physics news on Phys.org
kikko said:
I = .5(270)(2)^2 = 540kg*m^2
1500rpm = 2pi/w = 25 rounds/seconds
w = 39.59
a = (58/540) = .107 (theta)/s^2

ω should be in rad/s (radians per second)

and α would be in rad/s2 (radians per second squared)

kikko said:
B) How much energy is stored in the flywheel?

This is just asking for the rotational kinetic energy.

kikko said:
C) The flywheel is disconnected from the motor and connected to a machine to which it will deliver energy. Half the energy stored in the flywheel is delivered in 2.2 s. What is the average power delivered to the machine?

Power is simply energy/time

kikko said:
D) How much torque does the flywheel exert on the machine?

Another way to write power for rotational motion is P=Tω

So it looks like if I can get part B done then I can get the rest by just using that answer.

I'm doing Krot=.5Iw^2=(.5)(540)(39.69)^2=425000, but this is comming out wrong in Mastering Physics. I've tried 425329 and some others, and now am down to 1 more guess. Any help?

kikko said:
So it looks like if I can get part B done then I can get the rest by just using that answer.

I'm doing Krot=.5Iw^2=(.5)(540)(39.69)^2=425000, but this is comming out wrong in Mastering Physics. I've tried 425329 and some others, and now am down to 1 more guess. Any help?

Sorry, I forgot to point out your error. You converted 1500 rpm incorrectly.

rpm means revolution per minute

1 revolution = 2π radians
1 min = 60 seconds

Hence 1 rpm = 2π/60 rad/s

so 1500rpm = 1500(2π/60) rad/s

Okay, i got 1.7*10^6 for B which is correct, and 3.8*10^5 for C, which is also correct.

For D, I'm doing 3.8*10^5 = Tω
(3.8*10^5)/w = T

I'm not sure how to get w. I do not believe it is my original ω, because using ω = 25*2pi gave me the wrong answer when use as (3.8*10^5)/(25*2pi). I'm not sure how to come up with the new ω to get the new T.

It would be the same angular velocity with half of the power.

Related to Secrets of Flywheels: Exploring Energy Storage and Delivery

1. What is a flywheel and how does it store energy?

A flywheel is a mechanical device used to store rotational energy. It consists of a heavy wheel or disc that is mounted on a shaft and is free to rotate. When energy is added to the flywheel, such as through a motor or generator, it spins faster and stores the energy in the form of rotational kinetic energy. This stored energy can later be released and converted back into other forms of energy, such as electricity.

2. How does a flywheel compare to traditional batteries for energy storage?

Flywheels have several advantages over traditional batteries for energy storage. They have a longer lifespan, can be charged and discharged more quickly, and have a higher energy density. This means that they can store more energy in a smaller space. However, they also have limitations, such as a limited storage time and the need for a constant power source to maintain the rotational speed.

3. What are the potential applications of flywheels for energy storage and delivery?

Flywheels have a variety of potential applications for energy storage and delivery. They can be used to store excess energy from renewable sources like wind and solar power, which can then be released when needed to balance out fluctuations in energy production. They can also be used in vehicles, such as electric buses and trains, to provide energy for acceleration and regenerative braking. Additionally, flywheels can be used in industrial settings for backup power or load leveling.

4. What are the challenges and limitations of flywheels for energy storage?

One of the main challenges of flywheels for energy storage is their limited storage time. They can only store energy for a short period of time before the rotational speed decreases and the energy is released. This can make them less suitable for applications that require long-term storage. Additionally, flywheels can be expensive to manufacture and require precise engineering to maintain stability and prevent vibrations.

5. How are scientists working to improve flywheel technology for energy storage and delivery?

Scientists are constantly researching and developing new materials and designs to improve flywheel technology for energy storage and delivery. This includes using advanced composite materials to make flywheels lighter and more efficient, as well as developing new systems for controlling vibrations and energy loss. Additionally, research is being done to integrate flywheels with other energy storage technologies, such as batteries and supercapacitors, to create hybrid systems with improved performance and capabilities.