What is the moment of inertia of the flywheel?

In summary, the conversation is about solving for the moment of inertia of a flywheel in an energy storage system based on its rotational speed. The correct calculation is 4.4x10^6 J = Ktrans + Krot, and the moment of inertia is equal to 1.77x10^-3 kgm^2. The initial attempt at solving for the moment of inertia was off by a few powers of 10, but after correction, the correct answer was obtained.
bikeeich

Homework Statement

An energy storage system based on a flywheel (a rotating disk) can store a maximum of 4.4 MJ when the flywheel is rotating at 21,300 revolutions per minute. What is the moment of inertia of the flywheel?

Homework Equations

K= Ktranslational + Krotational
Krot= (1/2)Iω^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved 21,300 rev/min to be equal to 2.23E3 rad/s
I then tried to use this as angular acceleration in the Krot equation to solve for moment of inertia and got 1.77E-3 kgm^2, which was incorrect. I'm wondering if I need to set 4400J= Ktrans + Krot, to solve for I (moment of inertia) but if so I can't figure out how to solve for velocity in the Ktrans equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
bikeeich said:
I solved 21,300 rev/min to be equal to 2.23E3 rad/s
OK.

I then tried to use this as angular acceleration in the Krot equation to solve for moment of inertia and got 1.77E-3 kgm^2, which was incorrect.
Looks like you're off by a few powers of 10. Do that calculation over.

I'm wondering if I need to set 4400J= Ktrans + Krot, to solve for I (moment of inertia) but if so I can't figure out how to solve for velocity in the Ktrans equation.
No, you're on the right track.

I tried again and got the same answer. I'm sure I have a stupid mistake somewhere
Is it incorrect that 4.4MJ = 4400 J?

bikeeich said:
I tried again and got the same answer. I'm sure I have a stupid mistake somewhere
Is it incorrect that 4.4MJ = 4400 J?

4.4MJ = 4.4x10^6 J. 4400J is 4.4x10^3 J, or 4.4 kJ. :)

WOW. I might need to take a break. Thank you for the correction help!

Related to What is the moment of inertia of the flywheel?

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is analogous to mass in linear motion.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

Moment of inertia is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. The resulting value is also dependent on the distribution of mass in the object.

3. What is the unit of measurement for moment of inertia?

The unit of measurement for moment of inertia is kg*m^2 (kilogram meter squared).

4. How does the moment of inertia of a flywheel affect its performance?

The moment of inertia of a flywheel affects its performance by determining how quickly it can accelerate or decelerate. A larger moment of inertia means the flywheel will resist changes in its rotational motion, while a smaller moment of inertia means it can respond more quickly to external forces.

5. How can the moment of inertia of a flywheel be changed?

The moment of inertia of a flywheel can be changed by altering its mass or the distribution of its mass. For example, adding or removing weight from the outer edge of the flywheel will change its moment of inertia. The shape and size of the flywheel also play a role in determining its moment of inertia.