Second order spring mass problem

In summary, the conversation was about a spring mass problem and the stiffness matrix for the given data. The equations for x1'' and x2'' were derived and a matrix was generated using lambda. However, there was a mistake in solving for lambda, resulting in incorrect frequencies. The issue was resolved and all other problems on the section were understood.
cue928
I am doing a spring mass problem. Unfortunately, I'm not proficient in Tex so this won't be as neat as it could be.
Data: m1=1, m2=1; k1=0, k2=2, k3=0
Stiffness matrix:
-(k1+k2) k2
k2 -(k2+k3)

1 0 * x1'' -2 2 * x1
0 1 x2'' = 2 -2 x2

From that, I get the following equations:
x1'' = -2x1 + 2x1
x2'' = 2x2 - 2x2

I then generate the following matrix:
[tex]
\begin{bmatrix} -2-\lambda & 2\\2 & -2-\lambda\end{bmatrix}
[/tex]
Using x for lambda:
(-2-x)^2 - 4
x^2 + 4x = 0
I get r = +/- 2i, but according to the book I should get frequencies of 0 and 2 [ (omega)^2 = -lamdbda)

Where did I go wrong? I verified that I wrote it down correctly from the book but I still don't see it. All other problems on this section make sense.

Physics news on Phys.org
Greetings! Check your solving of λ2 + 4λ = λ(λ+4) = 0. Now just use angular ω = -λ2 to find the angular frequency.

Related to Second order spring mass problem

1. What is a second order spring mass problem?

A second order spring mass problem is a mathematical model used to describe the motion of a mass attached to a spring. It takes into account the mass of the object, the spring constant, and any external forces acting on the system.

2. How is a second order spring mass problem solved?

A second order spring mass problem is solved using differential equations and initial conditions. The differential equations are derived from Newton's second law of motion, and the initial conditions are the starting position and velocity of the mass.

3. What are the applications of a second order spring mass problem?

A second order spring mass problem has many applications in physics and engineering, such as analyzing the motion of a car's suspension system, modeling the behavior of a pendulum, and predicting the oscillations of a diving board.

4. What are the limitations of a second order spring mass problem?

A second order spring mass problem assumes the spring is ideal, meaning it has no mass and follows Hooke's law (the force is directly proportional to the displacement). It also neglects any external factors such as air resistance and friction, which can affect the motion of the system.

5. How does the mass and spring constant affect the motion in a second order spring mass problem?

The mass affects the period of the oscillations, with a heavier mass resulting in a longer period. The spring constant affects the frequency of the oscillations, with a higher spring constant resulting in a higher frequency. Both of these factors also affect the amplitude of the oscillations.