Second Order Inhomogeneous ODE.

In summary: In this case, the correct particular solution would be a linear polynomial, yp = Ax + B, which would give you a general solution of y = C1e^x + C2 + Ax + B.In summary, the conversation discusses solving a specific equation with given initial conditions. The method of finding a particular solution is demonstrated using a constant, but the importance of solving the homogeneous problem first is emphasized. The conversation also mentions how the particular solution may vary depending on the equation. Finally, the correct general solution is verified by plugging it into the original equation.
Je m'appelle

Homework Statement

Solve the following equation

[tex]f'' - 3f' + 2f = 3 [/tex]

For

[tex]f(0) = 0,\ and\ f'(0) = 1 [/tex]

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so, I know how to solve inhomogeneous ODEs when it's on this form

[tex]af'' + bf' + cf = g [/tex]

Where [tex]g[/tex] is a given function.

But how do I proceed when I find a constant instead of a function on the right hand side of the equation?

I'm really confused here.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you really must have an x on the right side, think of your function as 3 + 0x.:cool:

In other words, work it the same way.

Ok, so I saw this example in the book

[tex]f'' + f' - 2f = x^2 [/tex]

And then the particular solution [tex]f_p[/tex] was found by the following process

[tex]As\ g(x) = x^2\ is\ a\ second\ degree\ polynomial\ we'll\ look\ for\ a\ solution\ like [/tex]

[tex]f_p = Ax^2 + Bx + C [/tex]

Then

[tex]\frac{df_p}{dx} = 2Ax + B,\ \frac{d^2 f_p}{dx^2} = 2A [/tex]

We'll plug-in the derivatives of [tex]f_p[/tex] in the original equation

[tex]f'' + f' - 2f = x^2 [/tex]

[tex](2A) + (2Ax + B) - 2(Ax^2 + Bx + C) = x^2 [/tex]

[tex]-2Ax^2 + x(2A - 2B) + (2A + B - 2C) = x^2 + 0x + 0[/tex]

Then

[tex]A = \frac{-1}{2},\ B = \frac{-1}{2},\ C = \frac{-3}{4} [/tex]

So,

[tex]f_p = \frac{-x^2}{2} - \frac{x}{2} - \frac{3}{4} [/tex]

And I tried this same method in my original post, by using [tex]3 = 3x^0[/tex], but it did not work.

Please someone help.

You are making this much more complicated than it needs to be. Try yp = C. Don't forget that you need to solve the homogeneous problem f'' - 3f' + 2f = 0. The solution to the homogeneous problem, plus the particular solution, will be your general solution.

Mark44 said:
You are making this much more complicated than it needs to be. Try yp = C. Don't forget that you need to solve the homogeneous problem f'' - 3f' + 2f = 0. The solution to the homogeneous problem, plus the particular solution, will be your general solution.

Ok, so, by considering [tex]f_p = C[/tex] just as you said, I got [tex]f_p = \frac{3}{2} [/tex], and it worked!

Then the general solution will be:

[tex]f(x) = A_1e^{x} + A_2e^{2x} + f_p [/tex]

[tex]f(x) = A_1e^{x} + A_2e^{2x} + \frac{3}{2} [/tex]

I won't bother you folks showing all the work done to find [tex]A_1[/tex] and [tex]A_2[/tex], but I eventually got to

[tex]A_1 = -4,\ and\ A_2 = \frac{5}{2}[/tex]

[tex]f(x) = -4e^{x} + \frac{5}{2}e^{2x} + \frac{3}{2} [/tex]

Let's verify it by plugging-in the above function in the original equation,

[tex]f'' - 3f' + 2f = 3[/tex]

Where,

[tex]\frac{df(x)}{dx} = -4e^x + 5e^{2x}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d^2 f(x)}{dx^2} = -4e^x + 10e^{2x}[/tex]

[tex](-4e^x + 10e^{2x}) - 3(-4e^x + 5e^{2x}) + 2(-4e^{x} + \frac{5}{2}e^{2x} + \frac{3}{2}) = 3 [/tex]

[tex]-4e^x + 10e^{2x} + 12e^x - 15e^{2x} - 8e^x + 5e^{2x} + 3 = 3 [/tex]

[tex](-4e^x + 12e^x - 8e^x) + (10e^{2x} - 15e^{2x} + 5e^{2x}) + 3 = 3 [/tex]

Indeed, [tex] 3 = 3[/tex]

This is pathetically easy, my god.. I don't even know how or why I complicated it so much.

Thank you very much for your time [tex]LCKurtz[/tex] and [tex]Mark44[/tex].

:approve:

They can get much more complicated in a hurry. The best practice is to solve the homogeneous problem first, since the homogeneous solutions can impact your choices for your particular solution.

For example, if the equation had been y'' - y' = 3, your particular solution would NOT have been a constant.

Related to Second Order Inhomogeneous ODE.

1. What is a Second Order Inhomogeneous ODE?

A Second Order Inhomogeneous ODE (Ordinary Differential Equation) is an equation that involves a function, its first derivative, and its second derivative. The equation also has a non-zero function on the right side, making it an inhomogeneous equation. It is commonly used to model physical and natural phenomena in various fields of science and engineering.

2. How is a Second Order Inhomogeneous ODE solved?

The solution to a Second Order Inhomogeneous ODE involves finding a particular solution and a complementary solution. The particular solution is obtained by using methods such as variation of parameters or undetermined coefficients. The complementary solution is obtained by solving the associated homogeneous equation, which does not have a non-zero function on the right side. The general solution is then obtained by adding the particular and complementary solutions.

3. What are the applications of Second Order Inhomogeneous ODEs?

Second Order Inhomogeneous ODEs have various applications in science and engineering, such as in mechanics, electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in modeling biological processes, chemical reactions, and other natural phenomena.

4. What are the boundary conditions for a Second Order Inhomogeneous ODE?

The boundary conditions for a Second Order Inhomogeneous ODE depend on the specific problem being solved. They can be initial conditions, which specify the values of the function and its derivatives at a specific point, or boundary value conditions, which specify the values of the function at different points in the domain.

5. How does a Second Order Inhomogeneous ODE differ from a First Order ODE?

A Second Order Inhomogeneous ODE involves a function, its first derivative, and its second derivative, while a First Order ODE only involves a function and its first derivative. The solution to a Second Order Inhomogeneous ODE is a combination of two solutions, while the solution to a First Order ODE is a single solution. Second Order Inhomogeneous ODEs are also generally more complex and require more advanced techniques to solve compared to First Order ODEs.