Second-Order Harmonic Motion Equation: Solve as 2 linear diff eqs

In summary, the conversation discusses converting the second-order equation for the harmonic oscillator into two linear ordinary differential equations and solving for the analytic solution. The conversion involves using the variables u and v, and transforming the initial conditions. The OP also mentions struggling with finding information online and watching Khan Academy videos. However, the solution to the problem does not require writing any Python code and can be solved using standard methods for solving first-order equations numerically.
leonmate

Homework Statement

[/B]
Write the second-order equation for the harmonic oscillator,

y ̈ + ω2y = 0

as two linear ordinary differential equations. What is the analytic solution y(t) if ω = 2π, y(0) = 1 and y′(0) = 0?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I have to write some python code to solve this and a series of other questions but I'm falling at the first hundle! :(

What does it mean, as two linear ordinary differential equations, how do you do that? I've been searching the internet for hours and I can't find what I'm looking for. I watched about an hour of khan academy second-order equations.

Could someone help me out, I can do the coding I just don't know what to put in!

Physics news on Phys.org
How about these ODEs?
u = y
v = y'
so that v' = y"
Then
u' = v
v' = - w^2 u
And similarly transform the ICs.

ICs?

leonmate said:
ICs?
IC = initial conditions

leonmate said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
Write the second-order equation for the harmonic oscillator,

y ̈ + ω2y = 0

as two linear ordinary differential equations. What is the analytic solution y(t) if ω = 2π, y(0) = 1 and y′(0) = 0?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I have to write some python code to solve this and a series of other questions but I'm falling at the first hundle! :(

What does it mean, as two linear ordinary differential equations, how do you do that? I've been searching the internet for hours and I can't find what I'm looking for. I watched about an hour of khan academy second-order equations.

Could someone help me out, I can do the coding I just don't know what to put in!

I'm not sure what a 'hundle' is, but it sounds serious.

In any event, the OP asks you to find the analytic solution to the DE, which you should be able to do without writing any Python code.

It's not clear why you had so much difficulty with converting a second order ODE to a system of first-order equations. The standard methods of solving ODEs numerically (Euler, Runge-Kutta, etc.) are all based on solving first order equations only, thus a higher order equation must first be transformed into a system of first-order equations before a numerical solution can be obtained:

http://www.efunda.com/math/num_ode/num_ode.cfm

SteamKing said:
I'm not sure what a 'hundle' is, but it sounds serious.

I understand OP made a typo ,but the above line is seriously funny :p.

Related to Second-Order Harmonic Motion Equation: Solve as 2 linear diff eqs

What is Second-Order Harmonic Motion?

Second-Order Harmonic Motion is a type of motion where the acceleration of an object is proportional to its displacement from its equilibrium position and directed towards the equilibrium position.

How is the Second-Order Harmonic Motion Equation solved?

The Second-Order Harmonic Motion Equation can be solved by breaking it down into two linear differential equations and solving them using techniques such as separation of variables or using a characteristic equation.

What is the significance of solving the Second-Order Harmonic Motion Equation?

Solving the Second-Order Harmonic Motion Equation allows us to predict the motion of an object in a simple harmonic oscillator system. This can be useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

What are the assumptions made in the Second-Order Harmonic Motion Equation?

The Second-Order Harmonic Motion Equation assumes that the system is undamped, there is no external force acting on the object, and the object is moving in a linear path.

What are some real-life examples of Second-Order Harmonic Motion?

Some real-life examples of Second-Order Harmonic Motion include the swinging of a pendulum, the motion of a spring, and the vibration of a guitar string.