Second order Differential (Simple)

In summary, the homework statement says that someone has no idea how to solve the second order differential equation. The person asks for help and provides a summary of how to solve the equation for x(t)=-A\cos(\omega t)+B\sin(\omega t).
ritwik06

Homework Statement

I have no idea about how to solve the second order differential equation. Please someone help me solve this. Or provie me some articles for beginnrs. I have only basic knowldge of calculus.

While solving a question at physics, I got this:

[tex]\frac{d^{2}x}{dt^{2}}=\frac{xg}{l}[/tex]
g and l are constants. Plase help me solve this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure it isn't

[tex]\frac{d^{2}x}{dt^{2}}=-\frac{xg}{l}[/tex]?

nicksauce said:
Are you sure it isn't

[tex]\frac{d^{2}x}{dt^{2}}=-\frac{xg}{l}[/tex]?

I can't be very sure. Actually its a chain falling off the table. as one part of it decreases, the other increases. Can you teach me how to integrate this?

Last edited:
I don't ask for the whole process of solving second ordr differential. Just this particular case.

Well, we'll look at both cases.

For, [tex]\frac{d^{2}x}{dt^{2}}=\frac{xg}{l}[/tex]
the solution is
[tex]x(t)=Ae^{\omega t}+Be^{-\omega t}[/tex]where A and B are arbitrary constants, that you solve for using the initial condition.

For [tex]\frac{d^{2}x}{dt^{2}}=-\frac{xg}{l}[/tex] ,
the solution is
[tex]x(t)=A\cos(\omega t)+B\sin(\omega t)[/tex]

In each case [itex]\omega=\sqrt{\frac{g}{l}}[/itex]
You should verify that these are, in both cases, indeed solutions

nicksauce said:
Well, we'll look at both cases.

For, [tex]\frac{d^{2}x}{dt^{2}}=\frac{xg}{l}[/tex]
the solution is
[tex]x(t)=Ae^{\omega t}+Be^{-\omega t}[/tex]where A and B are arbitrary constants, that you solve for using the initial condition.

For [tex]\frac{d^{2}x}{dt^{2}}=-\frac{xg}{l}[/tex] ,
the solution is
[tex]x(t)=A\cos(\omega t)+B\sin(\omega t)[/tex]

In each case [itex]\omega=\sqrt{\frac{g}{l}}[/itex]
You should verify that these are, in both cases, indeed solutions

At t=0; x=h
I wanted to know t, when x=L ?

What I want now is just the value of AB
and A separately.

I know that A+B=h constant.

See the diagram I have attached. I was trying to calculate the time taken by th chain to fall off the table.

Attachments

• Chain.JPG
    Chain.JPG
    4 KB · Views: 400
One initial condition isn't enough for a second order differential equation, you need two. Presumably the other is at t=0, v=0, if the chain is falling from rest. (v for velocity)

Now, you have two equations with two unknowns (A and B), so you should be able to solve it for x(t). Then all you have to do is solve for t in x(t)=L.

Note that it might be easier if you write the solution as [tex]x(t)=A\cosh(\omega t) + B\sin(\omega t)[/tex], and use the properties that the derivative of coshx is sinhx and the derivative of sinhx is coshx, and that cosh(0)=1 and sinh(0)=0. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbolic_trigonometric_function

Why don't you show an attempt at the solution?

I have attempted at the solution:
First of all, I want to say thanks a lot for the whole thing.
My answer will match the required answer, only if A and B are equal. An you are right dexactly thqat at t=0, v=0. the body starts from rest
but v= dx/dt ?? isn't it?
How can I use this condition to prove that A an B are equl?

Thank you very very much. I have got my solution. Thanks a lot.

Related to Second order Differential (Simple)

1. What is a second order differential equation?

A second order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves the second derivative of a dependent variable with respect to an independent variable. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to describe systems with acceleration, such as the motion of objects.

2. How do you solve a second order differential equation?

There are several methods for solving a second order differential equation, including the method of undetermined coefficients, variation of parameters, and series solutions. The specific method used depends on the form of the equation and the initial conditions given.

3. What is the general solution of a second order differential equation?

The general solution of a second order differential equation is a solution that includes two arbitrary constants. These constants are determined by the initial conditions given for the equation. The general solution represents all possible solutions to the equation.

4. Can a second order differential equation have more than one solution?

Yes, a second order differential equation can have an infinite number of solutions. This is because the general solution includes two arbitrary constants, which can take on any value. However, for a specific set of initial conditions, there will be a unique solution.

5. What are some real-world applications of second order differential equations?

Second order differential equations are commonly used in physics and engineering to model and solve problems involving acceleration, such as the motion of objects, electrical circuits, and vibrating systems. They are also used in economics, biology, and chemistry to describe and analyze complex systems.