Second Order Differential Nonhomogeneous Equation

You're done. I don't know what your concern is.In summary, the conversation discusses using the method of undetermined coefficients to find a specific solution for a given differential equation. The attempt at a solution involves using the quadratic equation to find the roots, setting up the equation for Yp, and solving for the constants. One person suggests using the D Operator method or variation of parameters method, while another person confirms that the attempted solution is correct and the D parameter is not needed. The conversation ends with a clarification that the roots of the auxiliary equation are 1 and -4, not -1 and -4.
GogumaDork

Homework Statement

Use the method of undetermined coefficients to find one solution of
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/6844/4ab921ad6ba6851cc91401c.png
Note that the method finds a specific solution, not the general one.

Homework Equations

Y = Yc + Yp
Yc = C1e^(r1t)+C2e^(rt) when roots are not the same.

The Attempt at a Solution

For the homogeneous part I used the quadratic equation to get the roots -1 and -4.
Y = Yc + Yp
Yc = C1e^-t +C2e^-4t

I tried Yp = (At^2+Bt+C)*De^(4t) but it doesn't seem correct after solving a bunch of derivatives and plugging it back into y'' + 3y' -4y and solving for constants.

How to determine the Y-particular for this problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hii. Method of undetermined coefficients is sometimes lengthy but it sure does give the correct particular integral. As u hav already written the rough Yp,what u hav to do now is just replace it for y in the original equation and compare the coefficients of (e^4t)t^2,(e^4t)t and e^4t on both sides of the equation and u will get the expression for Yp. There are however other useful and short methods for finding Yp. One is the D Operator method and the other is the variation of parameters method. These are too long for me to describe elaborately here,but u must check these out in the net or any other reference books.Any standard engineering mathematics book would contain these topics.Personally I recommend using the D Operator method as it is very useful when exploited efficiently.

And welcome to Physics Forums...

GogumaDork said:

Homework Statement

Use the method of undetermined coefficients to find one solution of
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/6844/4ab921ad6ba6851cc91401c.png
Note that the method finds a specific solution, not the general one.

Homework Equations

Y = Yc + Yp
Yc = C1e^(r1t)+C2e^(rt) when roots are not the same.

The Attempt at a Solution

For the homogeneous part I used the quadratic equation to get the roots -1 and -4.
Y = Yc + Yp
Yc = C1e^-t +C2e^-4t

I tried Yp = (At^2+Bt+C)*De^(4t) but it doesn't seem correct after solving a bunch of derivatives and plugging it back into y'' + 3y' -4y and solving for constants.

How to determine the Y-particular for this problem?

Can you show what you did and where it went wrong? The numbers aren't pretty but it certainly seems to be working fine for me. You don't need the D parameter. Set it equal to 1. Then I'll get you started. A=(-1/24).

Last edited by a moderator:
And one more thing, the roots of your auxiliary equation are 1 and -4 respectively.

sagardip said:
And one more thing, the roots of your auxiliary equation are 1 and -4 respectively.

That would be true. Nice catch. But you don't need them to find the particular solution.

Related to Second Order Differential Nonhomogeneous Equation

1. What is a second order differential nonhomogeneous equation?

A second order differential nonhomogeneous equation is a mathematical equation that involves a second derivative of an unknown function, as well as a non-zero function on the right-hand side. This type of equation is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to model systems with changing rates of change.

2. What is the difference between a second order differential equation and a first order differential equation?

A second order differential equation has a second derivative of the unknown function, while a first order differential equation only has a first derivative. This means that a second order equation has more complex solutions and can model more complex systems.

3. How do you solve a second order differential nonhomogeneous equation?

To solve a second order differential nonhomogeneous equation, you can use various methods such as the method of undetermined coefficients, variation of parameters, or Laplace transforms. These methods involve finding a particular solution and then using it to find the general solution.

4. What is a particular solution in the context of a second order differential nonhomogeneous equation?

A particular solution is a specific solution to a differential equation that satisfies the nonhomogeneous part of the equation. It is used to find the general solution, which is a family of solutions that includes the particular solution and any other solutions that satisfy the equation.

5. Can a second order differential nonhomogeneous equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a second order differential nonhomogeneous equation can have multiple solutions. The general solution of the equation includes a constant term, which can take on different values, resulting in multiple solutions. Additionally, different methods of solving the equation may result in different solutions.