Second order differential nonhomogeneous equation with gaussian term

In summary: R\mu+kt\left(\mu v-w\right)=x_2\left(\mu v-w\right)In summary, you can try different techniques to solve the equation, such as using Fourier or Laplace transforms, reducing the order of the equation, and integrating.
coyote_001
Hello forum,

I am trying to solve a differential equation for the last four hours and I can't figure out how...

here it is

[tex]\frac{d^2x(t)}{dt^2} + \frac{dx(t)}{dt} + c x(t) = d e^{-a t^2}[/tex]

actually my problem is how to handle the Gaussian term...

if anyone can help please post...

and also i have another one (but its not so important),

[tex]\frac{d^2x(t)}{dt^2} + \frac{dx(t)}{dt} + c x(t) + d x^2(t) = f e^{-a t^2}[/tex]

thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What techniques have you used to solve the equations?

The second is a completely different type of equation b/c of the nonlinear term.

I didn't solve the equation yet. :frown:

The second equation is nonlinear... From the nonlinear equation through some perturbations I concluded to the first linear non-homogeneous equation...

But still no solution... I am trying different methods but no solution...
I know that is solvable because mathematica returns a specific answer (huge one) including the ErrorFunction...

Sorry for the mistake. I meant what techniques have you tried to solve the equation.

Doing variation of constants twice will work.

You could also try using Fourier or Laplace transforms.

Use reduction of order. Find a DE textbook on the subject and work through the example first. Here's the general outline. Now try and work through each step with the actual problem. If you can't integrate something, just leave it in it's unevaluated integral form like I did.

First consider the homogeneous case:

[tex]x''+x'+cx=0[/tex]

giving:

[tex]x_c=x_1(t)+x_2(t)[/tex]

Now, let

[tex]x=x_1 v[/tex]

and you should get:

[tex]x_1 v''+(2x_1'+x_1)v'=de^{-at^2}=R[/tex]

Now let v'=w and obtain:

[tex]x_1 w'+(2x_1'+x_1) w=R[/tex]

That's first order. Find the integrating factor and call it [itex]\mu[/tex]

Then:

[tex]d(\mu w)=R\mu dt[/tex]

Integrate:

[tex]w=\frac{1}{\mu}\left(\int R\mu+k\right)[/tex]

Then:

[tex]v=\int \frac{1}{\mu}(\int R\mu+k)[/tex]

Finally:

[tex]x=x_1\int\frac{1}{\mu}\int(R\mu+k)[/tex]

Last edited:

Related to Second order differential nonhomogeneous equation with gaussian term

1. What is a second order differential nonhomogeneous equation with gaussian term?

A second order differential nonhomogeneous equation with gaussian term is a type of differential equation that involves a second derivative of a function, as well as a nonhomogeneous term that is in the form of a gaussian function. This type of equation is commonly used in physics and engineering to model various physical phenomena.

2. How do you solve a second order differential nonhomogeneous equation with gaussian term?

To solve a second order differential nonhomogeneous equation with gaussian term, you can use the method of variation of parameters. This involves finding a particular solution to the nonhomogeneous equation, as well as the general solution to the corresponding homogeneous equation. The solution is then expressed as a linear combination of these two solutions.

3. What is the significance of the gaussian term in a second order differential nonhomogeneous equation?

The gaussian term in a second order differential nonhomogeneous equation represents a forcing function or external influence on the system being modeled. This term can be used to model a variety of physical phenomena, such as damping in a mechanical system or excitation in an electrical circuit.

4. Can a second order differential nonhomogeneous equation with gaussian term have more than one solution?

Yes, a second order differential nonhomogeneous equation with gaussian term can have more than one solution. The general solution to this type of equation will contain two arbitrary constants, which can result in an infinite number of solutions depending on the initial conditions of the system.

5. What are some real-world applications of a second order differential nonhomogeneous equation with gaussian term?

A second order differential nonhomogeneous equation with gaussian term has many real-world applications in physics and engineering. It can be used to model phenomena such as oscillations in mechanical systems, electrical circuits, and heat transfer. It is also commonly used in signal processing to filter out noise from a signal.