Second order differential equations on forced vibrations

In summary: So if you want to solve for y' in terms of cos(t) and sin(t) in terms of t you just add the cos(t) and sin(t) terms and the t term to the Acos(t-d) term.Acos(3t-d) is compact notation for Acos(d)cos(3t)+Asin(d)sin(3t). and the reason for both is that i was under the impression that since the solution for an inhomogeneous part of something like y'=cos(t) is Acos(t-d) then the solution for y'=cos(t) + sin(t) is the sum of the solutions
sskakam

Homework Statement

A spring-mass system has a spring constant of 3 N/m. A mass of 2 kg is attached to the spring, and the motion takes place in a viscous fluid that offers a resistance numerically equal to the magnitude of the instantaneous velocity. If the system is driven by an externam force of 3 cos(3t) - 2 sin(3t) N, determine the steady-state response.

Homework Equations

From the problem:
m = 2, k = 3, gamma = y' ?
2y" + y'[tex]^{2}[/tex] + 3y = 3 cos(3t) - 2 sin(3t), or in terms of delta and omega_0
y" + 2 (y'/4) y' + 3/2 y = 3/2 cos(3t) - sin(3t)

The Attempt at a Solution

Don't know where to go from there. I need to find A, omega and gamma, but I don't know how.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well for one thing, the y' in your differential equation should not be squared. The equation should be linear.

Does that help?

sskakam said:

Homework Statement

A spring-mass system has a spring constant of 3 N/m. A mass of 2 kg is attached to the spring, and the motion takes place in a viscous fluid that offers a resistance numerically equal to the magnitude of the instantaneous velocity.
You may have interpreted this as saying that the coefficient is equal tot he magnitude of the instaneous velocity so the force is (-y')y'. But it says the force itself is: you want only -y'. Tom Mattson is correct.

try a solution of the form Acos(3t-delta) + Btcos(3t-delta). do you know why?

ice109 said:

Not exactly. It looks very similar to the guess for undamped free vibrations, y = A cos(omega_0 t) + B sin(omega_0 t), and I can see where the -delta comes from (the damping part), but why 3t? Isn't 3 = omega, not omega_0? My omega_0 = [tex]\sqrt{3/2}[/tex], I think.

HallsofIvy said:
you want only -y'. Tom Mattson is correct.

So my equation is 2y" + y' + 3y = etc.

sskakam said:
Not exactly. It looks very similar to the guess for undamped free vibrations, y = A cos(omega_0 t) + B sin(omega_0 t), and I can see where the -delta comes from (the damping part), but why 3t? Isn't 3 = omega, not omega_0? My omega_0 = [tex]\sqrt{3/2}[/tex], I think.

So my equation is 2y" + y' + 3y = etc.
Yes, that is correct.

ice109 said:
I certainly don't see any reason to include the "delta" or "t". Acos(3t)+ Bsin(3t) should be sufficient. Solutions to the homogeneous equation are nothing like cos(3t) or sin(3t).

HallsofIvy said:
I certainly don't see any reason to include the "delta" or "t". Acos(3t)+ Bsin(3t) should be sufficient. Solutions to the homogeneous equation are nothing like cos(3t) or sin(3t).

Acos(3t-d) is compact notation for Acos(d)cos(3t)+Asin(d)sin(3t). and the reason for both is that i was under the impression that since the solution for an inhomogeneous part of something like y'=cos(t) is Acos(t-d) then the solution for y'=cos(t) + sin(t) is the sum of the solutions for cos(t) and sin(t) but those are the same hence the t multiplying out in front.

Related to Second order differential equations on forced vibrations

1. What is a second order differential equation?

A second order differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function, its first derivative, and its second derivative. It is commonly used to describe physical systems that involve acceleration, such as forced vibrations.

2. What are forced vibrations?

Forced vibrations are vibrations that are caused by an external force acting on a system. This force can be periodic, such as a regular pushing or pulling, or non-periodic, such as a sudden impact. In the context of second order differential equations, forced vibrations refer to the behavior of a system that is subject to an external force.

3. How do second order differential equations relate to forced vibrations?

Second order differential equations are commonly used to model the behavior of systems that undergo forced vibrations. These equations describe the relationship between the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of the system in response to the external force.

4. What is the general form of a second order differential equation for forced vibrations?

The general form of a second order differential equation for forced vibrations is:
m * d2x/dt2 + b * dx/dt + k * x = F(t)
where m is the mass of the system, b is the damping coefficient, k is the spring constant, and F(t) is the external force as a function of time.

5. How are second order differential equations for forced vibrations solved?

There are several methods for solving second order differential equations for forced vibrations, depending on the specific form of the equation. One common approach is to use the method of undetermined coefficients, which involves finding a particular solution based on the form of the external force, and then adding it to the general solution of the homogeneous equation. Another approach is to use the Laplace transform, which involves transforming the differential equation into an algebraic equation that can then be solved using standard techniques.