Second Order Differential Equation Help

In summary: And then i can be used to find the amplitude. So I have no idea why you got Q involved at all.In summary, the problem involves finding the amplitude, frequency and phase of the current in an LC circuit formed by a 2-\mu F capacitor charged to 20 V and connected across a 6-\mu H inductor. The initial current is zero and assuming no resistance, the equation for the current is I(t) = bsin(wt) with w = \sqrt{1 / LC}, where b is a constant. Solving the second order differential equation, it is found that b = 11.547 A. The amplitude of the current is therefore equal to this value.
Ithryndil

Homework Statement

A 2-[tex]\mu F[/tex] capacitor is charged to 20 V and then connected across a 6-[tex]\mu H[/tex] inductor forming an LC circuit.
(a) Find the initial charge on the capacitor

(b) At the time of connection, the initial current is zero. Assuming no resistance, find the amplitude, frequency and phase of the current. Plot the graph of the current versus time.

Homework Equations

I was able to get part (a) no problem. It's simply:
[tex]Q = E_{c}C[/tex] where [tex]E_{c}[/tex] = Voltage drop

Relevant equation for part (b):

LdI/dt + Q/C + RI = E
I = dQ/dt
LI" +RI' + I/C = dE/dt

L is the inductance.

The Attempt at a Solution

The second order differential equation's solution should be of the form

y = acost(wt) + bsin(wt).

you can divide through by L to get:

I" + RI'/L + I/(LC) = dE/dt(1/L)...since R = 0

I" + I/ (LC) = dE/dt(1/L)

I set the right side equal to zero and was able to get a for the solution equation, but couldn't get b. I am not sure how to proceed now. I realize I can't just use 20V for E because that's just for the capacitor, not the whole circuit. Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Shouldn't your differential equation be [itex] \ddot{I}(t)+\frac{1}{LC} I(t)=0[/itex]? And so [itex]I(t)=Asin(\omega t)+Bcos(\omega t)[/itex] where [itex]\omega=\sqrt{\frac{1}{LC}}[/itex]? Is this what you are getting for [itex]I(t)[/itex]? If so then what does I(0)=0 tell you? What does that make Q(t)? What then does [itex]Q(0)=40\mu C[/itex] tell you?

Last edited:
Well, I thought so too, but I am pretty sure I got a value of a = 0 and b = 0. That means essentially that I(t) = 0, which isn't right. Also, I did get a value for b that when used to find the Amplitude A...differs from the answer in the back of the book.

I(0)=0 means that B=0 right? What is Q(t) then?

Well if we let dE/dt = 0 then
I = acost(wt) + bsin(wt).
I(0) = acost(0) + bsin(0) = 0
Therfore a = 0

w in this is the frequency which would be equal to... [tex]\sqrt{1/(LC)}[/tex]

Okay, if you write that way then you have [itex]I(t)=bsin(\omega t)[/itex]. What is [itex]Q(t)[/itex] then? Remember, [itex]I(t)=\frac{dQ(t)}{dt}[/itex]

Then [tex] Q(t) = \int I dt = \frac{-bcos(wt)}{w}[/tex]

And then [tex] Q(0) = \frac{-bcos(0)}{w} = 4.0 x 10^{-5} [/tex]
[tex] b = (1/\sqrt{LC})*4 x 10 ^{-5} [/tex]

But, if a = 0 then the amplitude [tex] A^{2} = \sqrt{a^{2} + b^{2}} can simplify to A^{2} = b^{2} or A = b...and A is supposed to be 4.0 x 10^{-5}...and b = 11.55 roughly...should I not set the constant in the integration to 0?

You can't set the integration constant to zero. The actual relationship should be:

[tex]\int_{Q(0)}^{Q(t)} dq= \int_{0}^{t} I(t')dt'[/tex]

To find [itex]b[/itex] you will need at least one more piece of information. Remember, you also know that the voltage across the capacitor is 20V at t=0.

Thanks for your help...at the moment I am pretty tired, so I will come back tomorrow and look at it. If I have questions tomorrow I will post them. Again thanks so far.

Edit: Well, turns out I can't leave it alone for the night. I did the integral and provided everything is correct with:

I(t) = bsin(wt) with [tex]w =\sqrt{1 / LC}[/tex]

I got:

[tex]Q(t) - Q(0) = -b\sqrt{LC}cos(\sqrt{1 / LC}t) + b\sqrt{LC}[/tex]
[tex]Q(t) - 4 x 10^{-5} = b[\sqrt{ LC} - \sqrt{LC}cos(\sqrt{1 / LC}t)][/tex]

So provided I did the above correctly I need to find Q(t). It's possible I am too tired to think clearly and am going in circles...which seems to be what I have done...

Last edited:
I don't think your approach there would help. As said the initial voltage of the capacitor is 20V, so what is the initial voltage drop across the inductor at that time? Relate the expression you have for the potential drop across the inductor for that initial condition.

Well if we just have an LC circuit then it should be -20V. The system will only use enough energy to move the current around it...and no more otherwise the charge could build up indefinitely.

Could someone do this problem with the numbers in the first post and tell me what you get for the amplitude? I believe this book has been wrong before.

I get b=11.547 A

Also, I guess I steered you in the wrong direction; calculating Q(t) is a pointless step here.Just use the fact that [itex]V_L(t)=-L\frac{dI}{dt}[/itex] and that you have [itex]V_L(0)[/itex].

That's an answer I have gotten...so perhaps they accidentally put down Q(0) in the back for the amplitude. No worries, you were trying to help me.

Edit, I just noticed that if you use...

[tex]b = (1/\sqrt{LC})*4 x 10 ^{-5} [/tex]

And plug in all the values that you get the 11.547 for A

Last edited:
I wouldn't have messed with Q at all.
I would solve v''+(1/LC)v=0 for v(t) with v(0)=20 v'(0)=0
and then i(t) = -cv'

|---------------|
C --- + i --> $
--- V $ L
| - |
|_____________|

Related to Second Order Differential Equation Help

1. What is a second order differential equation?

A second order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves an independent variable, a dependent variable, and the first and second derivatives of the dependent variable with respect to the independent variable. It is used to model a wide variety of physical phenomena, such as motion, growth, and decay.

2. How do you solve a second order differential equation?

The general method for solving a second order differential equation is to first identify the type of equation (e.g. linear, nonlinear, homogeneous, non-homogeneous) and then use various techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or variation of parameters to find a solution. In some cases, numerical methods may also be used to approximate a solution.

3. What are the applications of second order differential equations?

Second order differential equations have a wide range of applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They can be used to describe the behavior of a spring-mass system, the growth of a population, the flow of electricity in a circuit, and many other phenomena.

4. Can a second order differential equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a second order differential equation can have multiple solutions. In fact, in most cases, there are an infinite number of solutions to a second order differential equation. This is because the general solution to a second order differential equation includes two arbitrary constants, which can take on different values to produce different solutions.

5. What is the role of initial conditions in solving a second order differential equation?

Initial conditions, also known as boundary conditions, are necessary for solving a second order differential equation. These conditions specify the values of the dependent variable and its derivatives at a given point. They help determine the specific solution to the differential equation, as the arbitrary constants in the general solution can be found by plugging in the initial conditions.