Second Derivative of Heaviside Function

In summary, the conversation discusses the second derivative of the Heaviside function and its relationship to a proof involving a piecewise-constant function. The Heaviside function is defined everywhere but not continuous at x=0, and both its first and second derivatives are not defined at x=0. The conversation also touches on the Dirac delta function and its relationship to the Heaviside function.
Choragos
Hello all. In short, I am wondering what the second derivative of the Heaviside function (let's say H[(0)]) would be. I'm presuming that it's undefined (or more accurately, zero everywhere but at x=0), but I would like to know if that is correct.

Essentially, I am attempting to extend a proof which uses f(x) where f''(x) is defined. I would like to extend this proof to a piecewise-constant f(x). However, one of the requirements is that f'(x) >> f''(x) >> f(n)(x). If H''[(0)] is undefined, than this approach will not work.

My attempt at a solution is as follows. Given a general, differentiable function f(x), then

[itex]\int[/itex]f(x)δ(n)dx [itex]\equiv[/itex] -[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\frac{∂f}{∂x}[/itex]δ(n-1)(x)dx

I am, however, unclear as to the meaning of δ(n-1), especially when n=1.

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Choragos said:
Hello all. In short, I am wondering what the second derivative of the Heaviside function (let's say H[(0)]) would be. I'm presuming that it's undefined (or more accurately, zero everywhere but at x=0), but I would like to know if that is correct.
The Heaviside function is defined everywhere, but it's not continuous at x = 0. What are you referring to when you say "it's undefined", the Heaviside function or its 2nd derivative? What you wrote isn't clear.

If x < 0, H'(x) = 0. If x > 0, H'(x) = 0, so on these intervals, H''(x) would also be zero.
Choragos said:
Essentially, I am attempting to extend a proof which uses f(x) where f''(x) is defined. I would like to extend this proof to a piecewise-constant f(x). However, one of the requirements is that f'(x) >> f''(x) >> f(n)(x). If H''[(0)] is undefined, than this approach will not work.
Both H' and H'' are not defined at x = 0.
Choragos said:
My attempt at a solution is as follows. Given a general, differentiable function f(x), then

[itex]\int[/itex]f(x)δ(n)dx [itex]\equiv[/itex] -[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\frac{∂f}{∂x}[/itex]δ(n-1)(x)dx

I am, however, unclear as to the meaning of δ(n-1), especially when n=1.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for your reply. I meant that the second derivative did not exist at x=0.

My notation is sloppy (my apologies, I'm a geophysicist and a poor mathematician), but shouldn't H'=δ, where δ is the Dirac delta function? Proceeding from that, then the question becomes δ'=? That is why I was investigating the identity above, but wasn't really understanding what it was telling me.

I agree that H'' = 0 everywhere but at x=0. I suppose H''(0) is undefined.

Choragos said:
Thanks for your reply. I meant that the second derivative did not exist at x=0.

My notation is sloppy (my apologies, I'm a geophysicist and a poor mathematician), but shouldn't H'=δ, where δ is the Dirac delta function?
One definition is
$$ H(x) = \int_{-\infty}^x δ(t)dt$$
"although this expansion may not hold (or even make much sense) for x = 0." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaviside_step_function
If you differentiate both sides above, H'(x) = δ(x), using the FTC.

I was look at H(x) from the perspective of being a step function instead of as an integra.
Choragos said:
Proceeding from that, then the question becomes δ'=? That is why I was investigating the identity above, but wasn't really understanding what it was telling me.

I agree that H'' = 0 everywhere but at x=0. I suppose H''(0) is undefined.

Related to Second Derivative of Heaviside Function

1. What is the definition of the second derivative of the Heaviside function?

The second derivative of the Heaviside function is the rate of change of the first derivative of the Heaviside function. It is denoted as H''(x) or d2/dx2 H(x).

2. How is the second derivative of the Heaviside function calculated?

The second derivative of the Heaviside function can be calculated using the standard rules of differentiation. However, since the Heaviside function is not differentiable at x = 0, the second derivative is defined as a distribution.

3. What is the graph of the second derivative of the Heaviside function?

The graph of the second derivative of the Heaviside function is a delta function, or a spike, at x = 0. This is because the second derivative is discontinuous at this point.

4. What is the physical significance of the second derivative of the Heaviside function?

The second derivative of the Heaviside function is often used in physics to model impulse forces. It represents a sudden change in acceleration, which can cause a spike in momentum or force.

5. How is the second derivative of the Heaviside function used in real-world applications?

The second derivative of the Heaviside function is commonly used in signal processing and control systems to analyze and model sudden changes, such as in voltage or current spikes. It is also used in physics and engineering to model impulse forces and impacts.