Season premiere of "The Big Bang Theory" tonight

In summary, the season premiere aired and Howard and Amy explored their new relationship, Sheldon became more feminine, Raj talked to girls without alcohol, and Howard and Bernadette became father-figure types.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
I understand that Penny and Sheldon have become close while Leonard has been at sea...something strange happens between Howard and his mother...Raj is still lamenting the fact that his neurotic girlfriend is gone...

The season premiere airs at 8 pm ET on CBS, and the second episode of the season will follow directly after. (Clapping)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi MarkFL,

I know that the latest episodes of the newest season of TBBT began in the U.S. tonight, but living in a place so far away from the U.S., I have to download it in order to watch it but fortunately, there are many who have the heart of an angel and are willing to put it on a site where we, the fan of TBBT from all around the world could download it almost two to three hours after it was aired in TV in the U.S.! So I certainly envy you for being able to watch it by turning on the TV, that's it!

So, is there anything that struck you very as particularly funny in tonight's new episodes that you wish to share with us at MHB? (Nerd)

Let's just say that Howard gets in touch with his feminine side...(Rofl)

I don't want to say too much as folks may have recorded the episodes, and they are still playing on the west coast of the U.S. at the moment, but yeah...(Sun)

MarkFL said:
Let's just say that Howard gets in touch with his feminine side...(Rofl)

That is so generous of you to reveal so much of it for me, MarkFL! (Tongueout)

MarkFL said:
I don't want to say too much as folks may have recorded the episodes, and they are still playing on the west coast of the U.S. at the moment, but yeah...(Sun)

But you're right, we certainly don't want to ruin the suspense of it for anyone who still hasn't watched it and I bet not many are like me, who wish to hear about most of it before watching!

Funniest line from the latest episode:

Sheldon to Penny: "No one likes a know-it-all!" (Rofl)

MarkFL said:
Funniest line from the latest episode:

Sheldon to Penny: "No one likes a know-it-all!" (Rofl)

That just might be the funniest statement that Sheldon has ever made since he always implicitly tells EVERYONE he is the one who knows it all! (Rofl)

anemone said:
That just might be the funniest statement that Sheldon has ever made since he always implicitly tells EVERYONE he is the one who knows it all! (Rofl)

Yes, the irony was nearly unbearable...(Clapping)

I'm liking this season so far. :) The show had kind of gotten repetitive for me by last season but they are changing things up a bit so far which will keep me watching.

Funniest line in tonight's episode:

Sheldon to Leonard: "Leonard, you've spent time with Amy. Can you think of anything she likes that is full of flaws?"

I roared with laughter when that line was delivered...I halfway expected Leonard to break the fourth wall. (Rofl) (Clapping)

I found the last two episodes to be mediocre. There were funny moments of course, but no great line or situation that really stood out. (Dull)

MarkFL said:
I found the last two episodes to be mediocre. There were funny moments of course, but no great line or situation that really stood out. (Dull)

Agree. Here are my thoughts on it which are probably way too long but over-analyzing stuff like this is fun for me.

They have reached that point that all shows seem to hit, where the list of reasonable things you can do with all the permutations of their group. After that point usually you see the personalities really going all over the place like with Sheldon. He was used last week in the opening scene using a public restroom because he learned that it's allowed. This was weird because his character talked on and on in different episodes about his strict bathroom schedule and his dislike of change. That doesn't mesh with the joke...

Also, Raj now talks to girls without any alcohol for some reason and Bernadette has become the strong father-figure type from the 1950's view on family. It's a show I don't want to analyze all the time, so I just hope it can be funny still. Howard and Amy are my two favorite characters, keeping the team going strong.

This problem of letting go of character traits without explanation to allow for plot points is completely standard practice these days for most shows that don't have something to solve or do every episode, like CSI where you can reset a lot of people every episode since the story stands on its own. This kind of show forces major changes because of writer's block. TBBT has less variation to work with and uses the same people and settings almost always, so new plots are best introduced through a character acting differently and then watching the others react.

In short, I think writing good sitcoms is harder than it appears and much harder to do over 3-4 seasons.

This is one of my love-hate relations: TBBT.

It was a wonderful idea, a wonderful initial set of characters, and a gigantic potencial. This has been butchered. After season 3, it goes down to a mediocre show. It has a good episode here and there, but there are some where I see the jokes coming a mile away and they are horrible. I cringe! The Amy-has-the-hots-for-Penny jokes, for example, are disgraceful _ nothing to do with homophobia or homofilia.

This project should have been undertaken by someone with love for art, not love for money. The writers room has shredded this show. I just watch because I have a connection with the characters, but I am aware of the garbage writing.

(Headbang)

This is just a bit off topic, but if you like TBBT, you will love The IT Crowd. It's a huge difference. Now that's a funny show about nerds like me. There are 4 seasons with 6 episodes each. The first season is not amazing, but the 2nd and 3rd are.

Finaly! A good episode of TBBT. This one is worth watching. :)

Yes, the "Lenny sweater" was hilarious! :D

I found Raj's anger outbursts hilarious! :D

Funny episode. Glad go to see that the show hasn't permanently dipped in quality. :) Raj's character is so pathetic sometimes so I'm glad they keep teasing that fact and maybe he'll have a change of heart soon. Don't like his ex-girlfriend's character at all.

Two in a row! Alright! This one is also worth watching. :)

ModusPonens said:

Agreed. :) I liked seeing a different set than the usual ones and having a holiday as the anchor of the plot. As I've written before, TBBT is running out of ideas for jokes based on each character's quirk so they are doubling down by making these quirks more extreme. If it works then it works though.

Just checked and there isn't any news about a season 8 yet. Apparently contract negotiations are heated.

ModusPonens said:

I agree too. Do any of you recall the man who plays Bernadette's dad (Casey Sander) on Grace Under Fire?

MarkFL said:
I agree too. Do any of you recall the man who plays Bernadette's dad (Casey Sander) on Grace Under Fire?

Never heard of it until now. It was a bit before my time but after reading the main idea for the show I am curious how this is a comedy/romance - "Grace is a recovering alcoholic, now divorced from an abusive marriage, struggling to bring up 2.4 children on her own." Sounds like a pretty serious show to me. Was it good?

It is fun to find now-famous actors in films/shows before they were well-known. Simon Helburg (Howard) has been in some big movies, although really small parts. I think he's the best actor on the show. Search for his celebrity impressions on Youtube if you like that sort of thing. He is amazing at them.

ModusPonens said:
This is just a bit off topic, but if you like TBBT, you will love The IT Crowd. It's a huge difference. Now that's a funny show about nerds like me. There are 4 seasons with 6 episodes each. The first season is not amazing, but the 2nd and 3rd are.

Don't forget the special to wrap everything up. Although I thought it was a bit of a cop-out and designed to give a feel good ending to the series where it didn't seem to fit in with the rest of the series.

Back on topic though, I've not watched TBBT since roughly the fourth season, broadcasts here in the UK aren't very well publicised and I feel the series has gone on for too long; the topics have become stale, the original premise has been lost -Leonard pining after Penny I felt was the driving force and the show had nowhere to go once that had been obtained. Combined with Sheldon getting more screentime I lost interest. Perhaps I am being harsh to some of the newer episodes but TV folk (especially American ones it seems) don't seem to know when to call it a day.

Jameson said:
Never heard of it until now. It was a bit before my time but after reading the main idea for the show I am curious how this is a comedy/romance - "Grace is a recovering alcoholic, now divorced from an abusive marriage, struggling to bring up 2.4 children on her own." Sounds like a pretty serious show to me. Was it good?

It is fun to find now-famous actors in films/shows before they were well-known. Simon Helburg (Howard) has been in some big movies, although really small parts. I think he's the best actor on the show. Search for his celebrity impressions on Youtube if you like that sort of thing. He is amazing at them.

It was an okay show. The actress playing the main character (Brett Butler) kind of lost it and made inappropriate remarks to at least one guest on the show during rehearsals...I understand drugs were an issue for her. Before the show she was a decent stand-up comedian.

The guy who plays Leonard (Johnny Galecki) used to have a recurring role on Roseanne (David, the boyfriend of Darlene (who was played by Sara Gilbert who now has a recurring role on TBBT as Leslie Winkle)), and had a bit part in American History X.

Kaley Cuoco (Penny) married a professional tennis player Ryan Sweeting on December 31, 2013.

av01nOZ_700b_v1.jpg

(Clapping) Great picture! I love it!

Related to Season premiere of "The Big Bang Theory" tonight

1. When is the season premiere of "The Big Bang Theory"?

The season premiere of "The Big Bang Theory" is tonight at 8/7c on CBS.

2. What season is this for "The Big Bang Theory"?

This is the 12th and final season of "The Big Bang Theory".

3. Will all of the main cast members be returning for the season premiere?

Yes, all of the main cast members, including Jim Parsons, Kaley Cuoco, and Johnny Galecki, will be returning for the season premiere.

4. Can I watch the season premiere online if I miss it on TV?

Yes, the season premiere will be available to stream on CBS's website and app, as well as on Hulu and Amazon Prime, the day after it airs on TV.

5. Is this the final season of "The Big Bang Theory"?

Yes, this is the final season of "The Big Bang Theory". The show will end with a total of 279 episodes and will be the longest-running multi-camera sitcom in television history.