Searching for the Density of Manila File Folder - Help Needed!

In summary, the team is stuck on finding the mass of members for their manila file folder bridge and plans to do so by multiplying the volume of the member by the density of the folder. However, they are unsure of the density and have had trouble finding it. They are seeking help in finding the density through trials and calculations using known areas and mass of manila folders.
CGI

Homework Statement

Hi! I wasn't sure how to ask this, but my team and I are making a manila file folder bridge and we are stuck a specific part. We are looking to get the mass of the members and we decided to get it through multiplying the volume of the member by the density of manila file folder. The only problem is, we do not know the density of manila file folder.

Homework Equations

p = m/V
V = Width*length*thickness

The Attempt at a Solution

I've spent all day searching for the density, but I have been unsuccessful. I thought that maybe someone here would happen to know where to look or knew the density. All leads are very much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
CGI said:

Homework Statement

Hi! I wasn't sure how to ask this, but my team and I are making a manila file folder bridge and we are stuck a specific part. We are looking to get the mass of the members and we decided to get it through multiplying the volume of the member by the density of manila file folder. The only problem is, we do not know the density of manila file folder.

Homework Equations

p = m/V
V = Width*length*thickness

The Attempt at a Solution

I've spent all day searching for the density, but I have been unsuccessful. I thought that maybe someone here would happen to know where to look or knew the density. All leads are very much appreciated!
Probably the best way to solve this is to take a known area of manila folder and find its mass. You can do trials using material cut from several different manila folders and calculate an area density for this material. You can certainly get a number for the density of manila folder material in way less time than spending a whole day stuck in research.

Likes CGI
If you don't have sensitive scales to weigh one folder try weighing a whole box full and then dividing by the total area to get the area density.

Likes CGI

Related to Searching for the Density of Manila File Folder - Help Needed!

1. What is the purpose of searching for the density of Manila file folders?

The purpose of searching for the density of Manila file folders is to determine the average mass per unit volume of these folders. This information can be useful for various applications, such as calculating shipping costs or understanding the storage capacity of a filing cabinet.

2. How is the density of Manila file folders measured?

The density of Manila file folders is typically measured by dividing the mass of the folder by its volume. The mass can be measured using a scale, while the volume can be calculated by measuring the dimensions of the folder.

3. What factors can affect the density of Manila file folders?

The density of Manila file folders can be affected by factors such as the thickness and weight of the paper used, as well as the dimensions of the folder. The way the folders are packed and stored can also impact their density.

4. Is the density of Manila file folders consistent across all brands and types?

No, the density of Manila file folders can vary depending on the brand and type. Different manufacturers may use different materials and production processes, resulting in varying densities. It is important to determine the density of a specific brand and type of folder.

5. How can the density of Manila file folders be used in practical applications?

The density of Manila file folders can be used in practical applications such as calculating shipping costs based on weight and volume, determining the maximum storage capacity of a filing cabinet, and comparing the cost-effectiveness of different brands or types of folders.