Searching for Plotting Software for Windows - PhysicsForums

In summary, the conversation is about someone looking for plotting software suitable for use in an undergraduate physics course. They mention trying "Grapher" on OSX but are looking for something that can run on Windows. They also mention wanting the ability to plot 2D functions and vector fields, and are open to free or paid software options. Several suggestions are made, including Mathematica, Origin, SpeQ Mathematics, Octave, SciPy, and GNUPLOT. The conversation ends with someone mentioning a website for quick graphing calculations.
InsertName
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the correct section of the forum to post this but here it goes...

I'm looking for some plotting software (to run on Windows) that would be suitable for general use on an undergraduate physics course. I've played with "Grapher" on OSX and it seemed like the kind of thing I'm looking for, except it's on OSX. I've had a little search of the PhysicsForums site and I couldn't find anything relevant (there are a lot of nice Java based simulations though!).

The most important thing is the ability to plot 2D functions. E.g. I just type y=2cosh(x/2) and it plots it. If it accepts more general algebraic (rather than numerical) things like y=acosh(bx), where a and b are constants, that would be awesome.

The more features it has (while remaining a GUI) the better. For example, plotting a vector field.

It would be great if it was free but I would pay for good software.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mathematica

I use Origin.

Zz.

Thanks for the replies!

Related to Searching for Plotting Software for Windows - PhysicsForums

1. What is the best plotting software for Windows?

The best plotting software for Windows depends on your specific needs and preferences. Some popular options for scientists include Matplotlib, OriginPro, and Igor Pro.

2. Can I use free plotting software for my research?

Yes, there are many free and open-source plotting software options available for Windows, such as Gnuplot, SciDAVis, and Veusz. These can be useful for basic plotting and data visualization needs.

3. Is there plotting software specifically designed for physics research?

Yes, there are several plotting software options that are tailored for physics research, such as QtiPlot and LabPlot. These programs often have specialized features for analyzing and visualizing scientific data.

4. Can I import data from other programs into plotting software for Windows?

Yes, most plotting software for Windows allows you to import data from various file formats, such as Excel spreadsheets, CSV files, and text files. This makes it easy to analyze and plot data from different sources.

5. Are there any online resources for learning how to use plotting software?

Yes, most plotting software for Windows has user guides, tutorials, and online forums where you can learn how to use the program effectively. You can also find video tutorials and helpful tips on websites like YouTube and Stack Overflow.