Searching for Phrases: How to Avoid Keywords

• Thread starter jason12345
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Search
In summary: The inbuilt search engine here at PF is pretty lousy; google is normally a lot better. Also note that Boolean searching is only available to gold members.
jason12345
How do I search for a phrase like "Principles of Relativity Physics" rather than it being interpretd as a number of keywords?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Just as you have done. Put '' '' marks to indicate a phrase.

Alfi said:
Just as you have done. Put '' '' marks to indicate a phrase.

"principles of relativity physics" returns results without the phrase in it.

jason12345 said:
"principles of relativity physics" returns results without the phrase in it.

Really? I just typed in "principles of relativity physics" (with the quotes) and the first 4 pages were all entries with only the phrase "principles of relativity physics" in it.

Are you using Google? (though it shouldn't matter, quotes are the standard operator for this).

Inferior search engines like MS Live (now rebranded 'Bing') will not always return pages that match the exact phrase even when quote marks are used.

Also, when searching for an exact phrase it helps to choose one which conforms to standard grammar conventions in that language. In the phrase:

"Principles of Relativity Physics"

The word "relativity" is incorrectly used as an adjective, while in english this word always is a noun. One correction could be:

"Principles of Relativistic Physics"

You can go to Google and use these for searching this site alone:
Code:
"Principles of Relativity Physics" site:physicsforums.com

Code:
"Principles of Relativistic Physics" site:physicsforums.com
And also, this way you don't have to wait 60 secs after each search.

OAQfirst said:
You can go to Google and use these for searching this site alone:
Code:
"Principles of Relativity Physics" site:physicsforums.com

Code:
"Principles of Relativistic Physics" site:physicsforums.com
And also, this way you don't have to wait 60 secs after each search.

Hey thanks, that's a great tip. It works using Google to search physicsforums, but the search engine on physicsforums doesn't search the phrase for me.

jason12345 said:
Hey thanks, that's a great tip. It works using Google to search physicsforums, but the search engine on physicsforums doesn't search the phrase for me.

The inbuilt search engine here at PF is pretty lousy; google is normally a lot better. Also note that Boolean searching is only available to gold members.

Related to Searching for Phrases: How to Avoid Keywords

1. What is the difference between searching for phrases and using keywords?

Searching for phrases involves looking for a specific sequence of words in a search query, while using keywords involves searching for individual words or phrases that may or may not be in a specific order.

2. How can I avoid using keywords in my searches?

To avoid using keywords, try using quotation marks around multiple words in a search query. This will tell the search engine to look for that exact phrase rather than individual words.

3. Can searching for phrases improve the accuracy of my search results?

Yes, searching for phrases can improve the accuracy of your search results because it allows you to specify exactly what you are looking for. This can help filter out irrelevant results and provide more precise results.

4. What are some other techniques for searching for phrases?

Another technique for searching for phrases is to use asterisks (*) as wildcards. This will allow you to search for a phrase while leaving certain words within that phrase open-ended. For example, "finding * in the *".

5. Are there any downsides to searching for phrases?

One downside to searching for phrases is that it may limit the range of results you receive. If the exact phrase you are searching for is not commonly used, you may miss out on relevant information that uses similar keywords or synonyms. It is important to use a combination of searching for phrases and keywords to get a comprehensive set of results.