Search Tools for Gene Sequences

In summary, to obtain gDNA, mRNA, and cDNA sequences of a gene, you can use search tools like NCBI GenBank, which provides a variety of sequences for different types of genes. To find the specific type of sequence you need, look for keywords in the definition, such as "mRNA" or "gDNA". Additionally, the "CDS" section typically refers to the protein sequence of the gene.
sobored
Search tools for ...

Where and how to get the gDNA, mRNA and cDNA sequences of a gene? Any search tools?

Thanks!

Biology news on Phys.org
Thanks for your answer!

I still have some questions regarding this search tool. Let us take for example the FOS gene for the human.
I came to this site:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...&list_uids=2353

I am now overwhelmed with all the infos and sequences in this site, besides there are a lot of socalled mRNA and genomic sequences which i don't know which one of them is the mRNA, gDNA and cDNA for the FOS gene.

My questions:

1: Which link should i now click on to get the mRNA of the fos gene?

2. Which link should i now click on to get the cDNA of the fos gene?

3. Which link should i now click on to get the gDNA of the fos gene?

4. The sequence under "translation" is that the amino acid of a gene?

5. What kind of sequence (mRNA, gDNA or cDNA) is under "CDS" of a gene?

Hope for inputs!

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
You link does not work so I did a search with "fos gene human"

sobored said:
1: Which link should i now click on to get the mRNA of the fos gene?
2. Which link should i now click on to get the cDNA of the fos gene?
Anything that states mRNA in the definition (the sentence you see in the search results) will be a sequence from mRNA and the sequence deposit is either the mRNA or cDNA sequence. It should be noted under the feature option. To obtain either one all you have to do is find a software the complement the sequence.
Example: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/viewer.fcgi?db=nucleotide&val=6552332

sobored said:
3. Which link should i now click on to get the gDNA of the fos gene?
Usually, anything that state complete or partial cds in the definition is genomic DNA
Example: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/viewer.fcgi?db=nucleotide&val=27802688
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/viewer.fcgi?db=nucleotide&val=182734

sobored said:
4. The sequence under "translation" is that the amino acid of a gene?

Can you be more precise. I did not find "translation" in my search.

sobored said:
5. What kind of sequence (mRNA, gDNA or cDNA) is under "CDS" of a gene?

If you look at your search results, CDS usually means that the deposit sequence is genomic DNA data but if you look the deposit sequence CDS is the protein sequence.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Search Tools for Gene Sequences

1)

What is the purpose of using search tools for gene sequences?

The purpose of using search tools for gene sequences is to quickly and efficiently identify and analyze specific genetic sequences within a larger dataset. These tools allow scientists to search for specific genes, mutations, or genetic variations, and can aid in understanding the function and structure of genes.

2)

What types of search tools are commonly used for gene sequence analysis?

Some commonly used search tools for gene sequence analysis include BLAST (Basic Local Alignment Search Tool), ClustalW, and MEGA (Molecular Evolutionary Genetics Analysis). These tools use algorithms to compare genetic sequences and identify similarities and differences.

3)

How accurate are search tools for gene sequences?

The accuracy of search tools for gene sequences depends on various factors, such as the quality and completeness of the genetic data being analyzed and the specific algorithm used by the tool. Generally, these tools have a high level of accuracy but may still produce some false positives or false negatives.

4)

What are some potential applications of search tools for gene sequences?

Search tools for gene sequences have a wide range of applications in the field of genetics and biological research. They can aid in identifying disease-causing mutations, understanding the evolutionary relationships between species, and predicting the function of unknown genes.

5)

What are some limitations of using search tools for gene sequences?

Some limitations of using search tools for gene sequences include the need for high-quality and complete genetic data, potential biases in the algorithms used, and the inability to accurately predict the function of all genes. Additionally, these tools may not be suitable for analyzing large and complex genetic datasets.