SE Class 12 Maths Alternating Series Test

In summary: Sorry take the signs off, I was writing the terms of the series with the sign alternation.The terms are positive, but the series still diverges by comparison to the harmonic series. In summary, the alternating series test states that if a sequence $\{a_n\}$ is positive and strictly decreasing and has a limit of 0, then the series $\sum (-1)^n a_n$ converges. However, if the condition of being strictly decreasing is omitted and replaced with non-increasing, the series may still converge, as shown by the counterexample of a sequence $a_n=\frac{1}{b_n}$ where $b_n=\lfloor \frac{n+1}{2} \rfloor$ and the
alexmahone
Alternating series test: If $\{a_n\}$ is positive and strictly decreasing, and $\lim a_n=0$, then $\sum(-1)^n a_n$ converges.

Is the alternating series test still valid if "strictly decreasing" is omitted? Give a proof or counterexample.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Alexmahone said:
Alternating series test: If $\{a_n\}$ is positive and strictly decreasing, and $\lim a_n=0$, then $\sum(-1)^n a_n$ converges.

Is the alternating series test still valid if "strictly decreasing" is omitted? Give a proof or counterexample.

Consider the series with terms \(a_n=1/n\) for \(n\) odd and \(2/n\) for \(n\) even.

Now \(\{a_n\}\) is a sequence of positive terms and \( \lim_{n \to \infty}a_n=0 \) but \( \sum (-1)^n a_n\) diverges since the \(k\)-th partial sum is the \(k\)-th partial sum of the alternating harmonic series and the half the \(\lfloor k/2 \rfloor \)-th partial sum of the harmonic series. Hence the sequence of partial sums diverges since the sequence of partial sum of the alternating harmonic series converges and that of the harmonic series diverges.

CB

Last edited:
CaptainBlack said:
Consider the series with terms \(a_n=-1/n\) for \(n\) odd and \(2/n\) for \(n\) even.

That's not a valid counterexample since $\{a_n\}$ should be positive.

Alexmahone said:

Hmm.

$$\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}-1}-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}+1}+\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}-1}-\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}+1}+...$$Edit:

Another one:

Take, $ a_n=\frac{1}{\sqrt[3]{n}-(-1)^n}$, with $n>1$.

Last edited:
Alexmahone said:
Let $b_n = \left\lfloor {\dfrac{{n + 1}}{2}} \right\rfloor $ or $1,1,2,2,3,3,\cdots$

Now let $a_n=\dfrac{1}{b_n}$. Does $\sum\limits_n {( - 1)^n a_n } $ converge?

Plato said:
Let $b_n = \left\lfloor {\dfrac{{n + 1}}{2}} \right\rfloor $ or $1,1,2,2,3,3,\cdots$

Now let $a_n=\dfrac{1}{b_n}$. Does $\sum\limits_n {( - 1)^n a_n } $ converge?

Surely $\displaystyle\frac{1}{1}-\frac{1}{1}+\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{3}-\frac{1}{3}+\ldots$ converges to 0.

Alexmahone said:
Surely $\displaystyle\frac{1}{1}-\frac{1}{1}+\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{3}-\frac{1}{3}+\ldots$ converges to 0.

Think again.

Also sprach Zarathustra said:
Think again.

Let $\displaystyle\{s_n\}$ be the sequence of partial sums.

$\displaystyle s_{2k-1}=\frac{1}{k}$ and $\displaystyle s_{2k}=0$

Since both the subsequences $\displaystyle\{s_{2k-1}\}$ and $\displaystyle\{s_{2k}\}$ converge to 0, $\displaystyle\{s_n\}$ converges to 0.

Alexmahone said:
Let $\displaystyle\{s_n\}$ be the sequence of partial sums.
$\displaystyle s_{2k-1}=\frac{1}{k}$ and $\displaystyle s_{2k}=0$
Since both the subsequences $\displaystyle\{s_{2k-1}\}$ and $\displaystyle\{s_{2k}\}$ converge to 0, $\displaystyle\{s_n\}$ converges to 0.
That is correct. But can you play with a similar sequence?

Plato said:
That is correct. But can you play with a similar sequence?

$\displaystyle 1-\frac{1}{2^2}+\frac{1}{3}-\frac{1}{4^2}+\ldots+\frac{1}{2n-1}-\frac{1}{(2n)^2}+\ldots$ diverges as the sum of the positive terms diverges.

Last edited:
Alexmahone said:
$\displaystyle 1-\frac{1}{2^2}+\frac{1}{3}-\frac{1}{4^2}+\ldots+\frac{1}{2n-1}-\frac{1}{(2n)^2}+\ldots$ diverges as the sum of the positive terms diverges.
Actually the proof of the alternating test only requires that $a_n\ge a_{n+1}$. So yes you can make that change.
I should have read the OP more closely.

Flogging a dead horse...$$\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}-1}-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}+1}+\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}-1}-\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}+1}+...$$

$$S_{2n}=\sum_{k=2}^{n+1}(\frac{1}{\sqrt{k}-1}-\frac{1}{\sqrt{k}+1})=\sum_{k=2}^{n+1}\frac{2}{k-1}$$

In other words, $S_{2n}$ equals to the first n terms of diverges series $\sum_{k=2}^{\infty}\frac{2}{k-1}$, hence $$ \lim_{n\to\infty}S_{2n}=\infty $$

Last edited:
Also sprach Zarathustra said:
[h=1]Flogging a dead horse...[/h]
$$\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}-1}-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}+1}+\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}-1}-\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}+1}+...$$

But $\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}+1}<\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{3}-1}$ so it is not decreasing.

Plato said:
But $\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}+1}<\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{3}-1}$ so it is not decreasing.

That's the point of the counterexample.

Alexmahone said:
That's the point of the counterexample.
Your OP asks if decreasing could be replaced with non-increasings.
That is, can $a_n>a_{n+1}$ can be replaced by $a_n\ge a_{n+1}$?
The answer is yes it can.
The proof of the alternating series test allows that.
I said that I failed to read the OP closely the first time.
Sorry for the confusion.

Plato said:
Your OP asks if decreasing could be replaced with non-increasings.
That is, can $a_n>a_{n+1}$ can be replaced by $a_n\ge a_{n+1}$?
The answer is yes it can.
The proof of the alternating series test allows that.
I said that I failed to read the OP closely the first time.
Sorry for the confusion.

My OP asks if "strictly decreasing" can be omitted, not if "strictly" can be omitted.

Alexmahone said:
My OP asks if "strictly decreasing" can be omitted, not if "strictly" can be omitted.
That is exactly what I just said.
If you omit "strictly" from "strictly decreasing" the correct term is "non-increasing".
And the answer is YES it can be omitted with changing the proof.

Plato said:
If you omit "strictly" from "strictly decreasing" the correct term is "non-increasing".

Agreed. But the question wants us to omit "strictly decreasing", not just "strictly".

Please read carefully what I actually wrote.

Alexmahone said:
Agreed. But the question wants us to omit "strictly decreasing", not just "strictly". Please read carefully what I actually wrote.
I give up!

Alexmahone said:
That's not a valid counterexample since $\{a_n\}$ should be positive.

Sorry take the signs off, I was writing the terms of the series with the sign alternation.

CB

Related to SE Class 12 Maths Alternating Series Test

What is the Alternating Series Test?

The Alternating Series Test is a method used to determine whether an alternating series, where the terms alternate in sign, converges or diverges. It is a special case of the more general Leibniz criterion for convergence.

How does the Alternating Series Test work?

In order to use the Alternating Series Test, the following three conditions must be met: 1) the terms of the series must alternate in sign, 2) the absolute value of the terms must decrease as n increases, and 3) the limit of the terms as n approaches infinity must be 0. If all three conditions are met, then the series is convergent.

What is the difference between the Alternating Series Test and the Leibniz criterion?

The Alternating Series Test is a special case of the Leibniz criterion, where all three conditions must be met in order to determine convergence. In the Leibniz criterion, only the first two conditions must be met, and the third condition is not necessary. This means that the Leibniz criterion can be used to determine convergence for a wider range of series.

What is an alternating series?

An alternating series is a series where the terms alternate in sign, meaning that they alternate between positive and negative values. For example, -1, 2, -3, 4, -5, ... is an alternating series, while 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ... is not an alternating series.

Can the Alternating Series Test be used to determine the convergence of all alternating series?

No, the Alternating Series Test can only be used to determine the convergence of alternating series that meet the three conditions mentioned earlier. If any of the conditions are not met, then the test cannot be used and other methods must be used to determine convergence.