Scope of Hilbert Space of a System?

In summary, in quantum mechanics, systems are represented by Hilbert Spaces, which are sets of continuous, complex-valued, square-integrable functions. These spaces are isomorphic to the Hilbert space L^2(\mathbb R^3). The real-world thingys that correspond to the members of this set are equivalence classes of preparation procedures, with 1-dimensional subspaces corresponding to these classes. However, this may be unsatisfactory as there are preparation procedures that do not correspond to state vectors. Another possible answer for defining the Hilbert Space of a specific system could be all solutions to the Schrodinger equation for that system.
LarryS
Gold Member
In QM a system is represented by a Hilbert Space rather than a classical Phase Space. So, system A might be described by Hilbert Space Ha and system B might be described by Hilbert Space Hb.

Mathematically, Hilbert Spaces are many things, but the first thing they are, at the most fundamental level, is a set (of continuous, complex-valued, square-integrable functions, etc.).

My Question: In QM what defines the scope of the Hilbert Space for a specific system? (What elements are in its Hilbert Space set?).

As always, thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand the question. All separable infinite dimensional Hilbert spaces are isomorphic to the Hilbert space [itex]L^2(\mathbb R^3)[/itex] whose members are equivalence classes of square integrable functions. So I guess that's one answer.

If you meant "what are the real-world thingys that correspond to the members of that set?" you could say that each vector corresponds to an equivalence class of preparation procedures. However, if u and v are vectors, c is a complex number and u=cv, then u and v correspond to the same equivalence class of preparation procedures. So it's better to say that the 1-dimensional subspaces correspond to equivalence classes of preparation procedures. But even this is a bit unsatisfactory, since there are preparation procedures that don't correspond to state vectors.

Fredrik said:
I'm not sure I understand the question. All separable infinite dimensional Hilbert spaces are isomorphic to the Hilbert space [itex]L^2(\mathbb R^3)[/itex] whose members are equivalence classes of square integrable functions. So I guess that's one answer.

If you meant "what are the real-world thingys that correspond to the members of that set?" you could say that each vector corresponds to an equivalence class of preparation procedures. However, if u and v are vectors, c is a complex number and u=cv, then u and v correspond to the same equivalence class of preparation procedures. So it's better to say that the 1-dimensional subspaces correspond to equivalence classes of preparation procedures. But even this is a bit unsatisfactory, since there are preparation procedures that don't correspond to state vectors.

Interesting reply.

I was thinking that one possible answer (for non-relativistic wave mechanics) might be "All solutions to the Schrodinger equation for that system". The set of all solutions of any differential equation is closed under scalar multiplication and vector (functions) addition.

Related to Scope of Hilbert Space of a System?

1. What is the Hilbert Space of a system?

The Hilbert Space of a system is a mathematical concept that represents the set of all possible states of a quantum mechanical system. It is a vector space that allows for the representation of quantum states and the description of their evolution over time.

2. How is the Hilbert Space of a system related to quantum mechanics?

The Hilbert Space of a system is the mathematical framework used to describe the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics. It allows for the representation of quantum states, operators, and measurements, and provides a way to calculate probabilities of different outcomes.

3. Can the Hilbert Space of a system have infinite dimensions?

Yes, the Hilbert Space of a system can have infinite dimensions. This is because quantum mechanics allows for the existence of continuous variables, such as position and momentum, which require infinite dimensions to fully describe.

4. How is the Hilbert Space of a system used in practical applications?

The Hilbert Space of a system is used in practical applications such as quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum information theory. It is also used in fields such as quantum chemistry and solid-state physics to understand the behavior of quantum systems.

5. What is the significance of the Hilbert Space of a system in quantum mechanics?

The Hilbert Space of a system is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics, as it allows for the description of quantum states and their evolution. It also provides a mathematical framework for calculating probabilities and making predictions about the behavior of quantum systems.