SciFi Inspired Technologies Becoming Real; Turbolift

In summary, ThyssenKrupp has created the Multi, a ropeless lift that uses magnetic levitation technology similar to Japan's bullet train. The lift can travel both vertically, horizontally, and diagonally around a building using a linear drive system. It is hoped that this technology will catch on quickly, though it may not benefit those who are not frequently in tall buildings. From an engineering perspective, the Multi offers improved functionality and a smoother ride, which has not seen much change in a long time.
jackwhirl
In tech news, ThyssenKrupp has invented the turbolift.

WIRED said:
The Multi is the first ropeless lift, built using the same magnetic levitation technology used in Japan's bullet train and proposed for the Hyperloop. In the same way the train slides along a track horizontally, the lift travels both vertically, horizontally and diagonally around a building riding an electromagnetic field, a system known as a linear drive.
I'm excited to see it implemented. Hopefully it won't take too long to catch on. Unfortunately, I'm not often in buildings tall enough to benefit from this technology.

Likes Bandersnatch
Physics news on Phys.org
jackwhirl said:
I'm excited to see it implemented.
From an engineering perspective or as a user? Would the user notice anything different?

Greg Bernhardt said:
From an engineering perspective or as a user? Would the user notice anything different?
That's an interesting dichotomy. I'm going to have to say the engineering perspective. I like that it will be functional to arbitrary heights. I also like that they're improving on a facet of the tech that hasn't seen a lot of change in a long time.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Would the user notice anything different?

one would hope that it may be a smoother ride ? :smile:

Related to SciFi Inspired Technologies Becoming Real; Turbolift

1. How do turbolifts in science fiction work?

In science fiction, turbolifts typically use advanced technology such as anti-gravity or magnetic levitation to move vertically and horizontally through a building or spaceship. They also have advanced sensors and computer systems to safely transport passengers to their desired destination.

2. Can turbolift technology be implemented in real life?

While the exact technology used in science fiction turbolifts is not currently available, there have been advancements in elevator technology that could potentially lead to a similar system. For example, ThyssenKrupp has developed a MULTI elevator that can move both vertically and horizontally using magnetic levitation technology.

3. How fast can turbolifts travel?

In science fiction, turbolifts are depicted as being able to travel at high speeds, often reaching multiple floors in a matter of seconds. In reality, the speed of an elevator is limited by safety regulations and the height of the building. The fastest elevator currently in operation is the Shanghai Tower elevator, which can reach speeds of 20.5 meters per second.

4. Are there any real-life examples of turbolift technology?

While there are no exact replicas of sci-fi turbolifts, there are some elevators that have similar features. For example, the Paternoster elevator in Prague, Czech Republic, continuously moves in a loop without stopping, similar to turbolifts seen in science fiction. Additionally, the SkyTran system being developed in Israel utilizes maglev technology to transport passengers in small pods, similar to turbolifts in sci-fi.

5. What are the potential benefits of implementing turbolift technology in real life?

If the technology used in science fiction turbolifts were to become a reality, it could greatly improve transportation efficiency in high-rise buildings and reduce wait times for elevators. It could also potentially reduce the need for large elevator shafts, allowing for more usable space in buildings. Additionally, it could have applications in transportation systems, such as reducing traffic congestion in cities.

Back