Scientific Notation and Unit Conversions

In summary, the average wavelength of white light is 5.0 x 10-7m. What would this be in nanometers? 500n.
AbsoluteZer0
"The average wavelength of white light is 5.0 x 10-7m. What would this be in nanometers?

The textbook answer key stated the answer as 500n but I have no idea how that is the answer.
I know that the value of nanometers is 10-9 so I figured you add -7 and -9 to get -16...

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex] 1 nm = 1 * 10^{-9} m[/itex]

[itex] \frac{1 nm}{1 * 10^{-9} m} = 1 [/itex]

[itex] 5.0 * 10^{-7} m = (5.0 * 10^{-7} m) * 1 = (5.0 * 10^{-7} m) * \frac{1 nm}{1 * 10^{-9} m} = ? [/itex]

Make sure you keep track of units and it will help you avoid these types of mistakes.

Unit conversion is safely accomplished by multiplying your value by terms that are a ratio of 'equal things'. For example, there are 100 cm in one meter, so the ratio "1m/100cm" is effectively equal to 1. If you want to convert 47 cm to meters you would write:

$$47 cm \times \frac{1 m}{100 cm} = \frac{47}{100}m = 0.47 m$$

Note how the "cm" units cancel in the expression, leaving just m (meters).
Can you apply this method to your problem?

gneill said:
Unit conversion is safely accomplished by multiplying your value by terms that are a ratio of 'equal things'. For example, there are 100 cm in one meter, so the ratio "1m/100cm" is effectively equal to 1. If you want to convert 47 cm to meters you would write:

$$47 cm \times \frac{1 m}{100 cm} = \frac{47}{100}m = 0.47 m$$

Note how the "cm" units cancel in the expression, leaving just m (meters).
Can you apply this method to your problem?

Thank you!
I understand it now

AbsoluteZer0 said:
"The average wavelength of white light is 5.0 x 10-7m. What would this be in nanometers?

The textbook answer key stated the answer as 500n but I have no idea how that is the answer.
I know that the value of nanometers is 10-9
This is your basic mistake- this doesn't even make sense! I understand that what you meant was "one nanometer is 10-9 meter" but not writing that leads you astray. From "1 n= 10-9 m" you can get the "unit fraction
"[tex]\frac{1 n}{10^{-9} m}= 1[/tex].
So we can write
[tex] (5.0 \times 10^{-7}m)(1)= \left(5.0 x 10^{-7} m\right)\frac{1 n}{10^{-9} m}[/tex]
The "m" units cancel but we are dividing fractions so "invert and multiply":
[tex](5.0 \times 10^{-7})(10^9) n= 5.0 \times 10^2 m[/tex]

so I figured you add -7 and -9 to get -16...

Thanks,

Related to Scientific Notation and Unit Conversions

1. What is scientific notation and why is it used?

Scientific notation is a mathematical representation of numbers that are very large or very small. It is used to make these numbers easier to work with and understand by writing them in the form of a coefficient multiplied by a power of 10.

2. How do you convert a number from scientific notation to standard form?

To convert a number from scientific notation to standard form, simply move the decimal point to the left or right depending on the power of 10. If the power of 10 is negative, move the decimal point to the left. If the power of 10 is positive, move the decimal point to the right.

3. How do you convert a unit from one system to another?

To convert a unit from one system to another, you can use conversion factors. These are ratios that relate the two units and allow you to convert from one to the other. Simply multiply the original value by the conversion factor to get the converted value.

4. What are the common prefixes used in scientific notation?

The most commonly used prefixes in scientific notation are kilo, mega, giga, tera, micro, nano, pico, and femto. These prefixes represent powers of 10, with each one representing a different factor of 10.

5. Why is it important to use correct units in scientific calculations?

Using correct units in scientific calculations is important because it ensures that the results are accurate and meaningful. Different units measure different quantities, so using the wrong units can lead to incorrect calculations and conclusions. It also allows for easier comparison and communication of data between scientists.