Scientific Computing Application Area?

In summary, the speaker is a returning 3rd year undergraduate math student who plans to take computer science courses in addition to their remaining math courses. They are interested in pursuing a career in a research lab and are seeking recommendations for courses that would be beneficial, particularly in the field of bioinformatics. Some potential courses include Intro to Computational Biology and Bioinformatics, Math Methods in Physics, Thermal Physics, Physical Chemistry, and Electromagnetic Fields. The speaker also mentions needing to have a basic understanding of biology for bioinformatics.
\Theta
Hi everyone!
I have a question for you all. I'm a 3rd year undergraduate math student who took 4 years away from school and I'm going to be returning this Fall(^.^). Prior to leaving school, I'd take courses in C++, Numerical Methods, Two additional semesters of Numerical Analysis, Modern Algebra, Vector Calculus, Advanced Calculus, Linear Algebra, and the first two courses in both Chemistry and Calculus based Physics. Since I've been out, when I go back I'm going to take it slow and pad my existing knowledge of math with some other subjects(mainly computer science).

I understand that I need to learn a little science in order to be useful in a research lab, so does anyone have any suggestions about what classes I should take in that pursuit? It's been 6 years since Chemistry and 5 years since Physics, but I really enjoyed both. How hard would it be to get back in the saddle with those and take upper level courses in those disciplines? A lot of the computer science professors at my school work in bioinformatics, I know some folks in the chemistry department(quantum/computational chemistry), and I have the opportunity to take courses in most any field. Does anyone have any recommendations for what would be a good route? Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
To help narrow it down, here are some courses I'm window shopping at the moment. Which ones do you think would best for me with my background?

Intro to Computational Biology and Bioinformatics
Introduction to computational biology and bioinformatics (CBB) through hands-on learning experiences. Emphasis on problem solving in CBB. Breadth of topics covering structural bioinformatics; modeling and simulation of biological networks; computational sequence analysis; algorithms for reconstructing phylogenies; computational systems biology; and data mining algorithms.

Math Methods in Physics
Applications of mathematical methods to physics. Topics include spatial coordinate systems, linear algebra techniques in coupled motions, series approximations of solutions to physical systems, extremum problems in physics, differential equations in mechanics, integration in two and three spatial dimensions, probability theory in thermal physics.

Thermal Physics
Introduction to the concepts, formalism, and applications of classical and quantum statistical mechanics, including thermodynamics.

Physical Chemistry
Principles of thermodynamics, kinetics, and quantum mechanics applied to chemical equilibria, reactivity, and structure.

Electromagnetic Fields
Maxwell's equations and their application to engineering problems. 3105: transmission lines, electrostatics, magnetostatics. [Second Semster]: time-varying fields, Maxwell's Equations, waves, propagation, guided waves, radiation.

It's really a shot in the dark for me, and I'm not sure which fields have the best futures and also which are most feasible to take in addition to a slew of applicable Computer Science courses(Parallel Computation, Computer Systems, Computer Architecture, etc) and the 4 Mathematics courses I have left(Applied Combinatorics, Applied Modeling, Operational Methods/PDEs, and Complex Analysis).

If you're wanting to be useful in a lab, then the bioinformatics class looks like a good one. Those computer science classes you mentioned would also come in handy in a bioinformatics lab.

esuna said:
If you're wanting to be useful in a lab, then the bioinformatics class looks like a good one. Those computer science classes you mentioned would also come in handy in a bioinformatics lab.

It seems like it's everywhere at my university these days. Is it the kind of thing that you need to have an interest in biology for? I haven't taken Biology since Sophmore year of High School(10 years ago) so I'm not really sure where it sits with me.

Does that class have any prerequisites? I wouldn't be surprised if it required a Biology class. On the other hand I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't. Bioinformatics is a broad discipline and there are some areas, such as genetic analysis/pattern recognition that are pretty separated form the actual biology and are more concerned with computer science.

I would recommend at least being comfortable with biology. If you just absolutely hate biology and want nothing to do with it then maybe it's not for you. I was recently hired as an undergrad research assistant in the computational imaging/pattern recognition side of bioinformatics. Although it seems like I won't be doing any "wet lab" kind of stuff, I'm going to be sitting at a computer right next to someone who is.

I'm recommending the informatics course assuming that your goal is to be "useful in a research lab." That will at least get you started. It looks like you've had a lot of numerical analysis so it seems the most suited for you. All the other classes you listed are just normal courses that a physics major or chemistry major would take. Doesn't look like they have a computational aspect.

Related to Scientific Computing Application Area?

1. What is scientific computing?

Scientific computing is the use of computational methods and tools to solve scientific problems. It involves the development and use of algorithms and software to analyze and interpret data, simulate physical phenomena, and model complex systems.

2. What are the major applications of scientific computing?

Some of the major applications of scientific computing include weather forecasting, drug discovery, data analysis, and computational fluid dynamics. It is also used in fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering to model and understand complex systems.

3. How is scientific computing different from traditional computing?

Scientific computing differs from traditional computing in that it focuses on solving complex scientific problems that cannot be solved analytically. It involves a combination of mathematics, computer science, and domain-specific knowledge to develop and implement algorithms that can handle large datasets and complex simulations.

4. What are some common tools and languages used in scientific computing?

Some common tools and languages used in scientific computing include MATLAB, Python, R, and Fortran. These languages are designed to handle mathematical and scientific calculations efficiently and have a wide range of libraries and packages specifically for scientific computing.

5. How does scientific computing impact society?

Scientific computing has a significant impact on society by enabling advancements in fields such as medicine, climate science, and technology. It also helps to improve our understanding of the world and make more informed decisions based on data-driven insights. Additionally, it has led to the development of new industries and job opportunities in the field of data science and computational research.