Science & Business: Should I Pursue MBiotech or MBA?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's academic and career goals in the biotechnology industry. They are currently pursuing an undergraduate degree in science and considering a MBiotech program for further education. They are interested in starting their own firm or helping a startup, and are wondering if an MBA would be a better option for a senior executive position. The other person in the conversation mentions that MBA's are primarily valuable for networking and suggests that the MBiotech program would be more useful if the speaker plans to stay in the biotech industry. The speaker also mentions that they primarily follow Canadian Business and Business Week for business news. The other person asks about the magazines the speaker reads in order to gain more insight into their interests and goals.
thE3nigma
I have been wondering what a good tactic is to follow. I am currently doing and undergrad in science and hope to continue on to a Professional school in Biotechnology (MBiotech) since it is cheaper than most MBAs that I know of. My goal is to one day start up my own firm in the Biotech industry, or help out a new start up so I would like to get some business background which is what the MBiotech program was designed for.

My question is if this is a good idea? Or would an MBA be better in order to do a senior executive position somewhere? Thanks for your inputs.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, MBA's are primarily valuable as a tool to network. If you plan on going Biotech and only Biotech, I'd think the MBiotech would be more useful. My knowledge is limited about that school though.

well, what kind of business magazines do you read?

Hi, I probably do plan on sticking in the Biotechnology Industry because the field has a very large potential to impact lots of other fields and industries. As for what magazines I read, I primarily follow up on Canadian Business and Business Week. I don't really subscribe to magazines, I just rather follow up any articles that are online. I also do not read the articles every second I get, but from time to time or if I stumble upon something good on the site.

If you don't mind me asking, why exactly have you asked me what magazines I read?

Related to Science & Business: Should I Pursue MBiotech or MBA?

1. What is the difference between MBiotech and MBA?

MBiotech (Master of Biotechnology) is a specialized degree that focuses on the intersection of biology, chemistry, and technology, and how these fields can be applied to various industries. On the other hand, an MBA (Master of Business Administration) is a general business degree that covers topics such as finance, marketing, and management.

2. Which degree is more beneficial for a career in the science and business industry?

The answer to this question depends on your career goals. If you are interested in a career that involves research and development, MBiotech may be more beneficial as it provides specialized knowledge in the biotechnology field. However, if you are interested in a managerial role or entrepreneurship, an MBA may be more suitable as it provides a broader understanding of business principles and practices.

3. Are there any similarities between MBiotech and MBA?

While MBiotech and MBA have different focuses, there are some similarities between the two degrees. Both degrees require strong analytical and critical thinking skills, as well as the ability to work in a team. Both degrees also offer opportunities for networking and building professional connections.

4. Can I pursue both MBiotech and MBA simultaneously?

Yes, it is possible to pursue both MBiotech and MBA simultaneously. However, this may require a significant time commitment and may be more challenging to balance with other responsibilities. It is important to carefully consider your goals and priorities before deciding to pursue both degrees at the same time.

5. Will having an MBiotech or MBA degree guarantee success in the science and business industry?

Having a degree in MBiotech or MBA can certainly open up opportunities in the science and business industry, but it does not guarantee success. Success in this industry also depends on other factors such as work experience, networking, and personal skills. It is important to continuously develop and improve these skills in order to succeed in the industry.