Science Advisor titles changed

• Thread starter Dembadon
  • Start date
In summary, the Science Advisor (SA) titles have changed to "Sci Advisor" and the Homework Helper (HH) title has changed to "HW Helper" due to the layout change. Some users prefer the older names, but it was necessary to shorten them to align with other data. Suggestions were made for alternative names, such as "Helper and Advisor" or "Homework Pro" and "Homework Guide." In the end, it was decided to keep the current titles as they fit best with the layout. Some users found the name "Gold Member" amusing, as it reminded them of Austin Powers or James Bond.
Dembadon
Gold Member
I'm not sure whether this happened during the upgrade or sometime before, but I noticed the SA titles have changed to "Sci Advisor." The new title feels more "popular" and "casual," and it's really bugging me for some reason. :frown:

Perhaps I can start a poll in GD if this topic is debatable (reverting to original title or keeping it the same)?

Physics news on Phys.org
It happened together with the layout change, to align the length with other data there. In addition, "Homework helper" is "HW helper" now.I would prefer the old name(s), too.

As mfb pointed out, the name had to be shortened to align with the other data. I also prefer the older name, but I think it's not possible to keep the older name without the left column looking really ugly. We'll see what Greg says.

A personal suggestion: maybe we could try to come up with different names for Homework Helper or Science Advisors? Names that sound good, but that also align with the other data? If we find a good alternative, then perhaps Greg is willing to change it?

I don't have any problem with the new names, but how about Helper and Advisor?

dx said:
I don't have any problem with the new names, but how about Helper and Advisor?

Too vague, IMO. (And a cynic might deduce that "advisors" were not "helpful"!)

If you formatted the SA and HH titles on two lines along side the "medal" graphic, there should be room for the full description without messing up the left column formatting.

Perhaps they will fit without ribbons.

Edit: no, Science Advisor could fit, but Homework helper is way too long.

In two lines, they fit easily.

If the first one fits, what about the second? At least with the normal font size, they are equal:
Science Advisor
Homework Help

Checked - without ribbon, both fit, but it gets crowded.

attachment.php?attachmentid=57133&d=1364317405.png

Sigh, wrong picture, should be with capital H. But I am not going to correct it now.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.png
    Untitled-1.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 700
Looks like "Homework Help" would fit in.

Another option is to use the same width as the PF award images:

attachment.php?attachmentid=57134&stc=1&d=1364318152.png

Attachments

• img.png
    img.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 659
mfb said:
Looks like "Homework Help" would fit in.

Another option is to use the same width as the PF award images:

attachment.php?attachmentid=57134&stc=1&d=1364318152.png

"Homework help" sounds/looks bad.

Perhaps, "Homework Pro" or "Homework Dude" or "Homework, yes!"

To be consistent, Mentor should be shortened to Tor or Men.

Maybe "Homework Guide"? Doesn't sound as catchy, though.

I see "Science Advisor" fits after all. But "Science Guy" is catchy. Like Bill Nye.

marcusl said:
To be consistent, Mentor should be shortened to Tor or Men.

I like Tor. Maybe admin's should be called Ext then??

Nice, it fits! :!)

This is probably not the best time to bring this up, but "Gold Member" reminds me of Austin Powers, and that makes me giggle. :smile:

Curious3141 said:
This is probably not the best time to bring this up, but "Gold Member" reminds me of Austin Powers, and that makes me giggle. :smile:

Definitely has a 007 ring to it :wink:.

Related to Science Advisor titles changed

1. What are the new titles for Science Advisors?

The new titles for Science Advisors are Research Scientist, Senior Research Scientist, Principal Research Scientist, and Distinguished Research Scientist.

2. What prompted the change in Science Advisor titles?

The change in Science Advisor titles was prompted by a review of the current titles and their alignment with the roles and responsibilities of Science Advisors within their respective organizations.

3. How will this change affect current Science Advisors?

This change will not affect current Science Advisors in their current roles. They will receive an updated title that reflects their current level of experience and contribution.

4. Will there be any changes in the job responsibilities of Science Advisors?

No, there will be no changes in the job responsibilities of Science Advisors. The change in titles is purely a reflection of their level of expertise and experience.

5. Will this change impact future hiring of Science Advisors?

Yes, this change will impact future hiring of Science Advisors as the updated titles will better represent the level of expertise and experience required for the role.