Schrödinger's equation problem

In summary, the conversation is discussing questions related to the time independent Schrödinger's equation and wavefunctions. The first statement suggests that a linear combination of two solutions to the equation can also be a solution, with the energy corresponding to the state being the average of the two energies. The second statement involves measuring the energy of particles with a specific wavefunction, using the equation for average energy and the probability of obtaining a certain energy. The questioner asks for confirmation of the statements' truth or falsity.
Mountebank
I'm having a little trouble whit this homework assignment. Any help would be greatly appreciated. =)

Homework Statement

Explain if the following statements are true or false:

a) Wavefunctions [tex]\phi[/tex]1 and [tex]\phi[/tex]2 are solutions to the time independent Schrödinger's equation, that correspond to the energies E1 and E2. Now theta=c1[tex]\phi[/tex]1+c2[tex]\phi[/tex]2 is the solution to the same schrödinger's equation and the energy corresponding to the state [tex]\Theta[/tex] is 1/2(E1+E2)

b)The wavefunction that depicts the particles state is [tex]\Theta[/tex]=-i/3[tex]\phi[/tex]1+2[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]/3[tex]\phi[/tex]2, where [tex]\phi[/tex]1 and [tex]\phi[/tex]2 are the wavefunktions from question a). When measuring the energy of one million of these identical particles' 11,1% of them show the energy E1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Use:

[tex]\left < E \right > = \langle \Theta \mid \hat{H} \mid \Theta \rangle [/tex]

and the fact that the probability of getting E1 is the square of the modulus of the coefficient that accompanies it in the wave-function expansion.

Thanks. I think I got it. Could you still tell me if the statements are true or false so that i would be certain that i got them right?

Related to Schrödinger's equation problem

1. What is Schrödinger's equation problem?

Schrödinger's equation problem is a fundamental problem in quantum mechanics that deals with the behavior of matter at the subatomic level. It was first proposed by Austrian physicist Erwin Schrödinger in 1926 and is used to describe the wave-like behavior of particles such as electrons, protons, and neutrons.

2. Why is Schrödinger's equation problem important?

Schrödinger's equation problem is important because it provides a mathematical framework for understanding the behavior of matter at the atomic and subatomic level. It has been used to successfully predict the behavior of various physical systems and has led to groundbreaking discoveries in the field of quantum mechanics.

3. What is the significance of the "cat in a box" thought experiment in Schrödinger's equation problem?

The "cat in a box" thought experiment is a hypothetical scenario used by Schrödinger to illustrate the paradoxical nature of quantum mechanics. In this scenario, a cat is placed in a sealed box with a vial of poison that will be released if a radioactive atom decays. According to Schrödinger's equation, the cat would be both alive and dead until the box is opened and the cat's state is observed, highlighting the concept of superposition in quantum mechanics.

4. How does Schrödinger's equation problem relate to the uncertainty principle?

Schrödinger's equation problem is closely related to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle simultaneously. This is because Schrödinger's equation describes the wave-like behavior of particles, and the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less we know about its momentum, and vice versa.

5. Can Schrödinger's equation problem be solved exactly for all physical systems?

No, Schrödinger's equation problem can only be solved exactly for simple systems with known potentials, such as the hydrogen atom. For more complex systems, approximations and numerical methods are used to solve the equation and make predictions about the behavior of matter.