Schrodinger's equation and the finite well(conceptual)

In summary, the conversation discusses the interpretation of Schrodinger's equation and the finite well problem. The problem involves imagining a particle trapped inside a wooden box with finite width, but the picture shows a box with infinite width. The speaker is confused about this contradiction and asks if there is a way to model a real box with finite width. The expert responds that while finite walls do complicate the calculation of the wave function, it is still possible to do. The expert also advises against thinking of the walls as infinitely thick but penetrable, and instead suggests imagining an infinitely hard and sturdy wall that could still be paper thin.
hover
Hello,

I have a question about Schrodinger's equation and the finite well. It isn't so much as a math question but rather how to interpret the problem. I'll use the picture on the right from here for reference and for simplicity, I'll stick to one dimension. When I think of this problem, I literally picture a particle(example, an electron) trapped inside a wooden box. The edges of this box, have a finite width. The picture on the right however seems to show a "box" that has edges of an infinite width. Now I understand that the wave function must decay to zero as x approaches (+/-)infinity but both of these ideas contradict themselves. This box must have an infinite width so the wave function decays to zero at an infinity but then we aren't dealing with a real wooden box since no box has edges of infinite width. Is there a way to model a real box with a finite width? Also, I know that the areas outside the "box" are areas of potential energy and I know that these areas are classically forbidden regions for particles to be but I am slightly lost as what this potential energy is suppose to represent.

Thanks for reading and trying to clear this up,
Hover

Physics news on Phys.org
Thinking of the walls of the box as being infinitely thick but penetrable is a bad idea. An infinite potential well would be more like a wall that was infinitely hard and sturdy, but it could be paper thin. The spatial derivative of the energy is force, so in a picture in which it shows vertical walls for the potential energy, that would also mean infinite force at the edge of the box repelling the particle (because the slope is infinite).

Related to Schrodinger's equation and the finite well(conceptual)

1. What is Schrodinger's equation and how is it used in physics?

Schrodinger's equation is a mathematical equation that describes how the quantum state of a physical system changes over time. It is used in physics to predict the behavior of particles at the quantum level, such as electrons, atoms, and molecules.

2. What is the finite well in the context of Schrodinger's equation?

The finite well is a theoretical potential energy barrier that can be modeled using Schrodinger's equation. It is often used to study the behavior of particles confined in a finite space, such as in a quantum well or quantum dot.

3. How does Schrodinger's equation relate to the concept of wave-particle duality?

Schrodinger's equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the wave-like behavior of particles. It is derived from the concept of wave-particle duality, which states that particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like properties.

4. Can Schrodinger's equation be used to explain the behavior of all particles?

No, Schrodinger's equation is only applicable to non-relativistic particles, meaning particles that are moving at speeds much slower than the speed of light. For particles moving at high speeds, the more complex Dirac equation must be used.

5. How does the finite well in Schrodinger's equation relate to real-world applications?

The finite well model has many real-world applications, such as in the development of quantum computers, designing new materials, and understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules in chemical reactions. It is also used in fields like solid-state physics, nanotechnology, and semiconductor electronics.