Particle in a box with the finite depth

In summary: Let's say the marble is in the first region, which has a potential of zero. The potential doesn't affect the marble at all, so it is in a stationary state. Now let's say I put the marble in the second region with a potential of one. Now the potential has an effect on the marble. The marble is no longer in a stationary state. It is now in a moving state. But the marble is still in the first region because the potential doesn't affect the marble in the second region. So it is a moving wave.
fricke
For particle in a box with the finite depth, is it traveling wave? or standing wave?

I am confused with its ability to pass through the potential walls that is classically forbidden area which makes me think it is traveling wave. But for particle in a box with infinite potential, I understand that it is standing wave since the presence of infinite potential walls makes a restriction towards the wave function.

So, I kind of have no idea if it is traveling wave or standing wave for particle in a box with the finite depth. Help me please, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
At first let's see what is a standing wave. Maybe calling such a thing a wave is misleading, because a wave is, by definition, accompanied by propagation of energy but a standing wave doesn't propagate any energy. The equation of a standing wave is of the form ## \psi(x,t)=\chi(t) \phi(x) ##. The point in such a definition is that the spatial parts gives an amplitude for the oscillation at a particular point and the temporal part is responsible for that oscillation. So in a standing wave, you only have an infinite number of oscillators lined up that have nothing to do with each other.
Now by the criterion ## \psi(x,t)=\chi(t) \phi(x) ##, any energy eigenstate of a system with a time-independent potential, is a standing wave because the time dependence of the wave-function is always given by multiplying the spatial part by a ## e^{-i\frac E \hbar t} ##, so the wave-function of the energy eigenstate is always of the form ## \psi(x,t)= e^{-i\frac E \hbar t} \phi(x) ##.
But if you consider a state that is the superposition of several energy eigenstates, then you may have a traveling wave.
The point here is that when your problem is indicating that the world is divided into several regions each with a different potential, then you should solve the Schrodinger equation in each region separately and so the above considerations are different for each region.
Another point is that the penetration of the wave-function in the classically forbidden region is done via a exponentially decaying function which is not a wave. But even if the potential was something else that implied that the penetration was done via a wave, then we could have a standing wave in one region that connects to a traveling wave in another region. It would be no problem if you have the right interpretation in mind.

Likes atyy
It could be either. This is true even classically. I have a marble in a box. Is it moving or not?

Likes Nugatory, bhobba and atyy

Related to Particle in a box with the finite depth

1. What is a "Particle in a box with the finite depth"?

A particle in a box with the finite depth is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of a particle confined within a potential well with a finite depth. The particle is considered to be in a one-dimensional box with impenetrable walls at its boundaries.

2. What is the significance of the finite depth in this model?

The finite depth in this model represents the strength of the potential barrier that confines the particle within the box. It affects the energy levels and probability distribution of the particle within the box, and can provide insights into the behavior of particles in real-life systems such as atoms or molecules.

3. How does the finite depth impact the energy levels of the particle?

The finite depth causes the energy levels of the particle to become discrete, meaning that only certain energy values are allowed for the particle within the box. These energy levels are determined by the size and shape of the box and the strength of the potential well.

4. What is the probability distribution for a particle in a box with finite depth?

The probability distribution for a particle in a box with finite depth is a function that describes the likelihood of finding the particle at a specific location within the box. It is determined by the energy levels and can be visualized as a graph showing peaks and valleys corresponding to regions of high and low probability, respectively.

5. How is the "Particle in a box with the finite depth" model used in real-world applications?

The "Particle in a box with the finite depth" model is used in a variety of real-world applications, including the study of electronic and optical properties of materials, the behavior of atoms and molecules in confined spaces, and the development of quantum computing and other advanced technologies. It also provides a fundamental understanding of quantum mechanics and helps scientists to further explore the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.