Schrodinger's Eqn: Harnessing Extra Dimensions?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of extra dimensions in relation to Schrodinger's equation and the possibility of using them for dimensional compression. It touches on the theories of String Theory and Kaluza-Klein and how these extra dimensions may be microscopical and not usable by humans. The conversation also delves into the idea of going past the edge of our universe and what may exist beyond it, with the reminder that it is a metaphysical question rather than a physical one. The topic of studying General and Special Theory of Relativity is also mentioned as a way to better understand these complex concepts.
mrlaughingman
i was reading up on schrodinger's equation and they had mentioned that the equation only works with 11 dimension 10 spatial 1 time. could these extra 10 spatial dimensions be harnessed and used for dimensional compression. what i mean is be able to harness the dimension and place it into an empty space. (walk up to a shack open the door and inside its a mansion type of thing)

Physics news on Phys.org
cite reference, according to me, it works fine with 4dimensions (3 spatial and one time)...

You are perhaps referring to String Theory which are combining Quantum Mechanics and General Theory of relativity, which only works in 11dimensions (10 spatial and 1 time). But there are several kinds of string theories, one has 26dimensions for instance. But these extra dimension can not be used by us, they are (if they exists) very very microscopical. The dimensions are curled up (kaluza klein), compare it with a piece of hair - to us it is just 1dimensional, but for a flea (if u got any) it has more dimensions.

ahh yes sorry about that i was thinking about the string theory. but how can a dimension be microscopic exactly?

how and how...
Didn't you understand the analogy I gave you? Only at very very small scales these "extra" dimensions became important -> scales down at approx 10^-30 meters.

ok well i am just going to stop posting now and post back at a later time after more studying is done sorry guys i know i must seem like a complete retard here.

but just out of curiosity could dimensional compression become reality?

no...

mrlaughingman said:
ahh yes sorry about that i was thinking about the string theory. but how can a dimension be microscopic exactly?
The simplest way is to have a circular extra dimension: If you move say 10-20 meters in a direction that's perpendicular to the three "standard" dimensions of space ("right", "forward" and "up") you have already moved all the way around the entire universe and returned to your starting point. (That number is just something I pulled out of my ***. The actual number could be bigger or smaller).

mrlaughingman said:
but just out of curiosity could dimensional compression become reality?
It seems very unlikely. In theory, space can be stretched even without the extra dimensions, but (I think) doing something like that always involves exotic matter of a type that has never been observed, and even if it exists, you'd have to squeeze a lot of it into a small space and keep it there.

so if i am understanding this then if you were to go completely around the universe and end were you started that's another dimension

Well now the universe is bigger than us, so the universe is an example of a circular dimensions then, but not "another"

mrlaughingman said:
so if i am understanding this then if you were to go completely around the universe and end were you started that's another dimension
It depends on what direction you're going in. If you go right, forward or up, and eventually get back to where you started (after traveling at least a few hundred billion light-years (probably much more)), that only means that space curves back on itself, or possibly that it has a non-trivial topology, like the space in the Asteroids game. Extra dimensions don't have anything to do with it.

If on the other hand you can find a direction that's perpendicular to all of the three I mentioned, and go in that direction, it's possible (even likely) that if you go a single nanometer in that direction, you will have moved millions of laps around the entire universe. That would explain why we can't perceive that this extra dimension is there.

People have also thought of ways that extra dimensions can be much larger and still not noticeable, but those ideas are more complicated. I don't know much about the details, but I think the basic idea is that gravity would be the only "force" that acts in the directions that are perpendicular to right, forward and up.

wow i actually understood that. thanks. but is there any way of being able to go past the edge of our universe i mean what is out there beyond that?

you are asking what is outside our universe?

yes i was. oh and i am very interested in worm hole, dimensions, time and space what part of physics should i study for all this. i haven't been able to get my mind off of all of this since i started reading about quantum mechanics.

But "what is outside our universe" is a methaphysical question... not a physical question.

General and Special Theory of relativity you should study.

so what is out side of it? or is it that once you go all the way right you would go past the edge and simply end up on the left?

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Schrodinger's Eqn: Harnessing Extra Dimensions?

1. What is Schrodinger's Equation for Harnessing Extra Dimensions?

Schrodinger's equation is a mathematical formula that describes the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics, specifically how their wave functions evolve over time. It is used to study the behavior of particles in multiple dimensions, including extra dimensions beyond the three that we experience in our everyday lives.

2. How does Schrodinger's Equation account for extra dimensions?

Schrodinger's equation includes additional terms that account for the existence of extra dimensions. These terms take into consideration the different possible states and interactions that particles can have in these extra dimensions, allowing scientists to better understand the behavior of particles in multi-dimensional systems.

3. Why is Schrodinger's Equation important for studying extra dimensions?

Schrodinger's equation is a powerful tool for understanding the behavior of particles in multi-dimensional systems, including those with extra dimensions. It allows scientists to make predictions and calculations about the behavior of particles in these systems, providing valuable insights into the nature of these dimensions and their potential effects on our universe.

4. Can Schrodinger's Equation be applied to all extra dimensions?

Schrodinger's equation is a general formula that can be applied to any number of dimensions, including extra dimensions. However, the specific terms and coefficients in the equation may vary depending on the properties and characteristics of the extra dimensions being studied.

5. How does Schrodinger's Equation contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Schrodinger's equation is a fundamental part of quantum mechanics, which is one of the most successful and widely accepted theories in modern physics. By including extra dimensions in this equation, scientists can gain a deeper understanding of the structure and behavior of the universe, helping to unravel some of the greatest mysteries of our world and beyond.