Schrodinger equotion & quantum physics

In summary, the Schrodinger time dependent wave equation is used to describe the wave-particle duality of the electron. The potential is described by the Poisson bracket. The order in which observations are made makes a difference and this is why we have to be careful when making measurements.
dreamfly
i'm a green hand in this field,maybe the question i asked is droll,but i want to know some wonder thing about quantum physics.
i know that one dimensional potential trap can be reckoned from Schrodinger equotion, but what about the actually fact? How dose one dimensional potential trap form? & Why did Schrodinger bring the equotion forward in that form?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
dreamfly said:
i'm a green hand in this field,maybe the question i asked is droll,but i want to know some wonder thing about quantum physics.
i know that one dimensional potential trap can be reckoned from Schrodinger equotion, but what about the actually fact? How dose one dimensional potential trap form? & Why did Schrodinger bring the equotion forward in that form?
Thanks!

When you write the hamiltonian H= p^2/2m + V(x) for a particle:
H|psi>=ihhard/dt|psi>, where |psi> is the state of the particle, you should take into account the state of the system that creates the V(x) potential (hidden in the above simplified equation and not important for the results.

Let's call the state of the system potential |potential> and assume it is an eigen state of the free hamiltonian (Ho_potential) of the potential system so that the |potential> state remains through the unitary evolution.

We have the complete hamiltonian given by:

H=p^2/2m + |potential><potential|.V(x)+Ho_potential

Where the complete state is |psi(t)>|potential> for the particle and the potential system.

=> <potential|H|psi(t)>|potential>=
[p^2/2m + V(x)]|psi(t)>+<potential|Ho_potential|potential>|psi>= [p^2/2m+V(x)+cte]|psi>
= ihbar d/dt<potential|psi>|potential>= ihbar d/dt|psi>

=> we have recoverd the unitary evolution of the state |psi(t)> (H is defined up to a constant.

Seratend.

There's quite a long story on how Schrödinger coined his equation.He really believed in that optics analogy and describing the atom through waves similar to the ones proposed by Louis de Broglie in his PhD thesis in Nov.1924.

Bottom line,he found it and applied it to the H atom.Then it was unanimously accepted and incorporated by Dirac in his formalism.

Daniel.

Well,it's seems that we can detect many facts from equotions,so i preciate how marvellous the universe is.But why & how position and velocity become uncertain when objects become smaller and smaller?Is it decided by objects' time-space property?

dreamfly said:
Well,it's seems that we can detect many facts from equotions,so i preciate how marvellous the universe is.But why & how position and velocity become uncertain when objects become smaller and smaller?Is it decided by objects' time-space property?

It's due to the fact that the two observations, of position and of momentum, can't be done simultaneously, and that is because the order in which they are made makes a difference. The mathematical jargon for this is that they fail to commute. Commutation rules are required for quantization, so we can say that uncertainty comes deeply out of the quantum nature of the world.

Incidentally,at classical level,general coordinates & canonical momenta fail to (anti) commute in the (graded) Poisson brackett.

So assuming Dirac's quantization scheme

graded Poisson brackett goes to [tex] \frac{1}{i\hbar}[/tex] times graded Lie brackett,it all makes perfect sense.:approve:

Daniel.

selfAdjoint said:
and that is because the order in which they are made makes a difference. Commutation rules are required for quantization, so we can say that uncertainty comes deeply out of the quantum nature of the world.
dextercioby said:
Poisson brackett.
:rolleyes: But i still have some puzzles:what's"the order in which they are made"?and what's "Poisson brackett"?and does it mean that the quantum nature is a nature of the world?but how unimaginable it is!will the God dicing,really?

I'm sorry,but if you don't know about Poisson brackets,then u should you go back to school and learn...:wink:

And also ask them about "incompatible obserables" in QM.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
I'm sorry,but if you don't know about Poisson brackets,then u should you go back to school and learn...:wink:

And also ask them about "incompatible obserables" in QM.

Daniel.
:smile: yes I'm in university now.but we haven't study it normally & deeply.i only know some basic knowledge about quantum physics,like uncertainty principle,Schrodinger equotion...according in being knowledge, i got some basic puzzles. and want to get the answers here.so i beg your instruction and thanks again for answering my droll questions!

To save me attempting to explain, this page seems to give a good intro:

http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/qm/fundamental/node22.html

I haven't read it in detail, with the excuse being I finished my degree this morning...

Last edited by a moderator:
please send me the schrodinger time dependent wave equation and also diagrams describing potential well

Wave equation is, as always, [itex]\hat H |\Psi\rangle = E|\Psi\rangle[/itex]. The Hamiltonian [itex]\hat H[/itex] expresses the time dependance, and is dependant on the system - you can't just give a generic time dependant Hamiltonian.

I suggest you start more simply before looking at time dependance...

Related to Schrodinger equotion & quantum physics

What is the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes how the wave function of a physical system evolves over time. It is named after Austrian physicist Erwin Schrodinger.

What is the importance of the Schrodinger equation in quantum physics?

The Schrodinger equation is important because it allows us to make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems and understand the underlying principles of quantum mechanics. It forms the basis of many calculations and experiments in the field of quantum physics.

What is the difference between classical and quantum mechanics?

Classical mechanics describes the behavior of macroscopic objects, while quantum mechanics describes the behavior of microscopic objects such as atoms and subatomic particles. Classical mechanics is based on Newton's laws of motion, while quantum mechanics is based on the principles of probability and uncertainty.

What is the wave function in quantum physics?

The wave function is a mathematical description of a quantum system that contains all the information about its possible states. It can be used to calculate the probability of finding the system in a particular state, but it does not provide information about the actual properties of the system.

How does the Schrodinger equation relate to the uncertainty principle?

The Schrodinger equation allows us to calculate the probability of finding a quantum system in a particular state, but it does not provide information about the actual properties of the system. This is related to the uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time.