Schools with astronomy, observatory, and planetary science

In summary, the three schools that the poster is interested in are Wesleyan University (in CT), Williams College (in MA), and UC Berkeley (in CA). All three schools have astronomy programs, but UC Berkeley offers a more comprehensive planetary sciences program. The schools that the poster is interested in are Wesleyan University (in CT), Williams College (in MA), and UC Berkeley (in CA). Wesleyan University (in CT) has an observatory on-campus, Williams College (in MA) has a well-known observatory, and UC Berkeley has a well-known planetary sciences program. The University of Arizona (in Tucson) also offers a good astronomy program with access to Kitt Peak.
GiantSheeps
Hi! So I've begun the process of looking at colleges now and I really would like to go to a school in the US or Canada with an astronomy major, an observatory of its own, and some sort of planetary science program. I've made a list of the schools that I've been able to find with those things:

Wesleyan University (in CT)
Williams College (in MA)
UC Berkeley (in CA)
Boston University (in MA)
University of Southern California (in CA)

So as you can see it's a very short list, so I could use some help expanding it. If anyone knows of any other colleges that offer those three things, could you tell me please? That'd be great that'd be a lot of help! Thank you so much

Physics news on Phys.org
The University of Arizona (in Tucson) has Steward Observatory on campus, access to the facilities on nearby Kitt Peak (a short drive out of town) and is very well known for astronomy and planetary science.

https://www.as.arizona.edu/facilities

U of A also has the Lunar and Planetary Laboratory which is involved with e.g. the recent Mars lander missions.

https://www.lpl.arizona.edu/

Last edited:
Likes GiantSheeps
What do you plan to do with that? If you want to work in astronomy, you'll need to major in physics and then go to grad school for a PhD in astronomy or physics. So you're not just looking for astronomy, but physics as well.

As for planetary science, try UC Boulder or U Arizona. For small schools with access to observatories, try the Five Colleges (Smith, Mt. Holyoke, UMass Amherst, Amherst, Hampshire) or those that are part of a consortium.

Likes GiantSheeps
eri said:
What do you plan to do with that? If you want to work in astronomy, you'll need to major in physics and then go to grad school for a PhD in astronomy or physics. So you're not just looking for astronomy, but physics as well.

As for planetary science, try UC Boulder or U Arizona. For small schools with access to observatories, try the Five Colleges (Smith, Mt. Holyoke, UMass Amherst, Amherst, Hampshire) or those that are part of a consortium.

Well yeah I know, but most every school has a physics major so that doesn't require very much searching. Thanks for the info!

jtbell said:
The University of Arizona (in Tucson) has Steward Observatory on campus, access to the facilities on nearby Kitt Peak (a short drive out of town) and is very well known for astronomy and planetary science.

https://www.as.arizona.edu/facilities

That's awesome! Thank you so much!

I just remembered U of A also has the Lunar and Planetary Laboratory which I added to my post.

Likes GiantSheeps
Caltech also owns/operates at least two observatories that I know of:

One up on Palomar Mountain CA: http://www.astro.caltech.edu/palomar/homepage.html

And also a radio observatory: http://www.astro.caltech.edu/research/ovro/

They may actually have more locations, those are just the two that come to mind.

Edit, actually just had to click on one of the hyperlinks and they give a brief spill about what they're doing: http://www.astro.caltech.edu/research/instrumentation.html

Likes GiantSheeps
Check out Appalachian State University in Boone, NC. http://www.http://physics.appstate.edu/

It's observatory is ranked #20 in the nation (for colleges). I'm not sure about planetary sciences, but they do offer Physics Degrees with concentrations in Astrophysics and Astronomy. There are a handful of world renowned professors working in the physics and astronomy departments. One of which is a program director in NSF's Stellar Astronomy and Astrophysics program (Dr. Michael Briley, who is also the department head of physics), another developed the anti-dust coating for the solar panels on the Mars Rovers (Dr. Sid Clements), another is a pioneer in the field of electron microscopy (Dr Phillip E. Russell). It's not uncommon for students to receive grants and intern for NASA. Last time I checked, AppState had 5 full-time Astronomers/Astrophysicists, which is unheard of with a department that size.

It may not be your top option after looking around, but it should definitely be on your short list. Message me if you have any questions about AppState (I'm a Senior here).

ETA: I'm not sure what type of grades you have or what type of student you are, and I'm sure that AppState isn't even on your radar, but AppState is quickly becoming a more and more prestigious school in NC and it's becoming more widely known for some of it's degrees around the country. It's actually the 2nd hardest school to get into for in-state students, behind Duke (of course) but ahead of UNC-Chapel Hill and NC State! Plus it's the cheapest tuition in the state, and you'd be in the beautiful Appalachian Mountains! Do yourself a favor and give it an honest look!

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes GiantSheeps
As an undergrad, why do you care about having an observatory on campus? Chances are big you won't see the inside of the observatory at all.

micromass said:
As an undergrad, why do you care about having an observatory on campus? Chances are big you won't see the inside of the observatory at all.

Actually, observatories on campus are usually there for the undergrads. Very few observatories on campus are actually used for real research; schools that do a lot of astronomy research have time on major telescopes at observatories and/or in space instead.

Likes GiantSheeps

Related to Schools with astronomy, observatory, and planetary science

1. What types of courses are typically offered at schools with astronomy, observatory, and planetary science programs?

At schools with these programs, you can expect to find a wide range of courses related to astronomy, observatory operations, and planetary science. Some common course titles may include Introduction to Astronomy, Planetary Geology, Observational Astronomy, and Planetary Atmospheres.

2. Are there opportunities for students to get hands-on experience with telescopes and other astronomical equipment?

Yes, many schools with these programs have dedicated observatories or access to telescopes and other equipment that students can use for hands-on learning. Some schools even offer research opportunities for students to work on their own projects using these resources.

3. Can students pursue both undergraduate and graduate degrees in these fields at these schools?

Yes, most schools with astronomy, observatory, and planetary science programs offer both undergraduate and graduate degrees. Undergraduate students can typically major in Astronomy or Physics with a concentration in Astronomy, while graduate students can pursue a Master's or PhD in Astronomy or Planetary Science.

4. Are there any prerequisites or recommended courses for students interested in these programs?

While each school may have different requirements, it is recommended that students interested in these programs have a strong background in math and physics. Some schools may also require specific courses, such as Calculus and Physics, as prerequisites for more advanced courses in astronomy and planetary science.

5. Are there opportunities for students to participate in research projects or internships related to astronomy and planetary science?

Many schools with these programs offer research and internship opportunities for students to gain hands-on experience and work closely with faculty members in their field of interest. These experiences can be valuable for students looking to further their education or pursue a career in astronomy or planetary science.