Schools recognizing grade inflations or deflations

• Schools
  • Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Schools
In summary, the conversation discusses the differences in grading systems and reputation of undergraduate institutions in relation to graduate school admissions. It is noted that physics graduate admissions committees do not focus on small differences between GPAs, but a significant drop can raise concerns. It is also mentioned that some schools have reputations for being more challenging in their grading. The conversation concludes with the advice to improve grades in order to have a better chance at graduate school.
flyingpig
I know a lot of schools recognize that it is definitely easier to get a 90% in College A than it is in College B. The 96% in College C may only worth 70% in College D.

But my question is, despite knowing these facts, do school really care? Like they know this, but how much do they care?

Now I know, when it comes to "big admissions", a lot of other things are considered.

But when it comes down to it, are all the 3.8GPA people's application cast away and only the 3.9GPA (or 4.0GPA) people's app get a chance to be glanced at?

Physics news on Phys.org
flyingpig said:
But when it comes down to it, are all the 3.8GPA people's application cast away and only the 3.9GPA (or 4.0GPA) people's app get a chance to be glanced at?

Physics graduate admissions committees generally do not care about the difference between 3.8 and 3.9 because there are just too many differences between schools to make that comparison useful.

They *do* care about the difference between a 2.5 and 3.5. because the belief is that if you got a 2.5, it doesn't matter where you went, you seriously messed up some way and some how.

Also some of this comes to branding. For example, if you get a 2.8 from MIT, the fact that you managed to survived MIT at all is going to help you. Also the undergraduate programs often adjust things to fit graduate admissions. MIT for example, grades tests brutally, but they adjust things so that the transcripts says an A, even though the highest test is typically 60-70%. Harvard curves everything so that the grades are rather inflated.

I thought prestige of your undergrad institution never even comes to their minds...

What do you mean MIT grade tests brutally? I saw the open course ware exams, they weren't very difficult, do they take serious marks off for like sig figs? I mean compare to the exams in my college...

flyingpig said:
I thought prestige of your undergrad institution never even comes to their minds...

It's not so much prestige, but that some schools have reputations for being nastier than others.

What do you mean MIT grade tests brutally? I saw the open course ware exams, they weren't very difficult, do they take serious marks off for like sig figs? I mean compare to the exams in my college...

They take serious marks off for everything.

It's not so much prestige, but that some schools have reputations for being nastier than others.

But what if I don't go to a prestige school...? I mean MIT actually CURVES their exams, many don't...like mine.

Flyingpig, you have posted a zillion threads with the theme "my grades aren't so good; please tell me this won't hurt my chances for graduate school." I'm sorry, but they will hurt your chances for graduate school.

You need to get your grades up. If you are truly passionate about science, you will find a way.

Related to Schools recognizing grade inflations or deflations

1. What is grade inflation and deflation?

Grade inflation refers to the increase in the average grades of students over time, creating a trend where higher grades are awarded more frequently. On the other hand, grade deflation is the decrease in average grades, making it more difficult for students to achieve high grades.

2. How do schools recognize grade inflation or deflation?

Schools typically recognize grade inflation or deflation by comparing the average grades of students over a period of time. They may also look at the distribution of grades and see if there is a significant increase or decrease in the number of high or low grades awarded.

3. What are the potential causes of grade inflation or deflation?

There are various factors that can contribute to grade inflation or deflation, such as changes in teaching methods, standardized tests, and pressure to maintain high graduation rates. Economic factors, such as competition among schools, can also play a role.

4. Why is grade inflation or deflation a concern?

Grade inflation or deflation can have a significant impact on the credibility and value of a student's grades. If grades are inflated, it may be difficult to accurately assess a student's academic abilities and achievements. On the other hand, deflated grades may discourage students and undermine their confidence and motivation.

5. How can schools address grade inflation or deflation?

Schools can address grade inflation or deflation by regularly reviewing and adjusting their grading policies and standards. They can also provide training and guidance to teachers on how to fairly and accurately evaluate student performance. Additionally, implementing external measures, such as standardized tests, can provide a more objective assessment of students' academic abilities.