Scaling of a Circle or a Straight Line Using Complex Numbers

In summary, the problem states that for a circle or straight line, the same is true for the locus of points αz, z∈C, and α a fixed nonzero complex number. The solution involves manipulating the equation after substituting z with αz and using the fact that |αw| = |α||w| for complex numbers α and w. This approach works for both a circle and a straight line.
Tsunoyukami
I'm working on an assignment that is due in roughly two weeks and I'm stuck on a problem. I have what I believe may be a solution but am unsure whether or not it is 'complete'. Here is the problem:

"Let C be a circle or a straight line. Show that the same is true of the locus of points [itex]\alpha[/itex]z, z[itex]\in[/itex] C, and [itex]\alpha[/itex] a fixed nonzero complex number." (Complex Variables 2nd Ed. by Stephen D. Fisher; pg. 22, #34)

By multiplying each element contained in the set C by [itex]\alpha[/itex] (ie. essentially a "constant") we are scaling the set. (is this the correct interpretation of what occurs?)

Take, for example, C to be a circle. If [itex]\alpha = 1[/itex] we have the circle C of radius R. If [itex]\alpha > 1[/itex] we have a circle with radius R' > R and if [itex]\alpha < 1 [/itex] we have a circle of radius [itex]R' < R[/itex]. That is, by multiplying each each of C by a constant complex number [itex]\alpha[/itex] that 'shape' of the set is unchanged.

The same is true if C is a straight line: the value [itex]\alpha[/itex] instead results in a change in the slope of the original line C when [itex]\alpha = 1[/itex].

Everything above comes simply from me considering the effect of [itex]\alpha[/itex] geometrically in my head without any real 'evidence' involved.

I have tried to justify that the shape of C is unchanged by showing that the form of the set C is entirely equivalent when z is replaced by [itex]\alpha z[/itex]. That is, given a circle of radius R:

C[itex]_{R}(z_{o}) = \left| z - z_{o}\right| = R[/itex]

When z is replaced by [itex]\alpha z[/itex] we can show that the product of two complex numbers [itex]\alpha z[/itex], is itself a complex number. If we let [itex]\alpha z[/itex] = w we find:

C[itex]_{R}(z_{o}) = \left| \alpha z - z_{o}\right| = \left| w - z_{o}\right| = R[/itex]

This has exactly the same form of a circle and so the shape is retained. The same argument can be made for a straight line.

Is this a valid way to show that the shape of the set C is unchanged?

If not, I was considering another process. Again, for a circle, if we multiply all z by the constant complex number [itex]\alpha[/itex] we would expect the radius to scale by a factor [itex]\alpha[/itex] (to see this imagine a circle of radius 1 centered at the origin and choose [itex]\alpha = 2[/itex]. The result is a circle of radius 2 centered at the origin.) In this case we could write the following:

C[itex]_{R}(z_{o}) = \left| \alpha z - z_{o}\right| = \alpha R[/itex]

And transform the equation into the equation of a circle:

C[itex]_{R}(z_{o}) = \left| z - z_{o}\right| = R[/itex]

I thought this would be more 'proper' but keep getting stuck. Is my first approach valid or should I follow the second - or am I missing something entirely?

Lastly, am I getting the question conceptually? The real part of [itex]\alpha[/itex] is a scaling factor and the imaginary part is a rotational factor - is this correct? I feel a bit more confused for the case of C as a straight line, but I'll work on that once I understand it for the circle.

Any help is greatly appreciated. :) Let me know if anything I have done is unclear and I'll try to clarify it!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your approach works, but it is not completely rigorous. What you would like is to get the formula after the substitution ##z \to \alpha z## back to the form ##|z - z_0'| = R'## back, where z0' and R' are (different) complex numbers.

To do this, you may want to use that ##|\alpha w| = |\alpha| |w|## for complex numbers ##\alpha, w##. Fiddle with the algebra a bit, and you will be able to define z0' in terms of z0 and α; and R' in terms of R and α.

Thanks a lot, CompuChip! I managed to manipulate it into the form you described above. Is the proof for a straight line similar? A straight line is of the form:

[itex]0 = Re(az + b)[/itex], where [itex]a = A + iB[/itex] and b is a complex number is the straight line [itex]0 = Ax - By + Re(b)[/itex]

Should I be replacing [itex]0 = Re(az + b)[/itex] with [itex]0 = Re(a \alpha z + b)[/itex] and trying to manipulate it into the form [itex]0 = Re(az' + b)[/itex]?

I apologize for double-posting, but I returned to edit my post and found that option unavailable.

I have managed to complete the question for the case of a circle but would like to check my solution for the case of a straight line. As I described above, a straight line can be described by complex numbers by writing:

[itex]0 = Re(az +b)[/itex], where [itex]a = A + iB[/itex] and b [itex]\in[/itex] ℂ. This describes the line [itex]0 = Ax - By + Re(b)[/itex].

By replacing all instance of [itex]z[/itex] with [itex]\alpha z[/itex] we must manipulate the equation [itex]0 = Re(a\alpha z + b)[/itex] into the form [itex]0 = Re(a'z + b')[/itex]. Without any mathematical effort I predict [itex]a' = a\alpha, b' = b[/itex].

[itex]0 = Re(a\alpha z + b)[/itex]
[itex]0 = Re((A+iB)\alpha z + b)[/itex]
[itex]0 = Re((A\alpha +iB\alpha)z + b)[/itex]
[itex]0 = Re((A' +iB')z + b)[/itex]
[itex]0 = Re(a'z + b')[/itex]

Here we see that [itex]a' = A' + iB' = A\alpha + iB\alpha = (A+iB)\alpha = a\alpha, b' = b[/itex] as I predicted above. Is this a sufficient proof of the claim that if S is straight line then the locus of points [itex]\alpha z[/itex] is also a straight line for any [itex]z \in S[/itex]?

Related to Scaling of a Circle or a Straight Line Using Complex Numbers

1. How can complex numbers be used to scale a circle or a straight line?

Complex numbers can be represented by a combination of a real number and an imaginary number. The real number represents the horizontal scaling factor, while the imaginary number represents the vertical scaling factor. By multiplying the original coordinates of the circle or line by the complex number, the shape can be scaled accordingly.

2. What is the formula for scaling a circle or a straight line using complex numbers?

The formula for scaling a circle or a straight line using complex numbers is (a + bi) * (x + yi) = (ax - by) + (ay + bx)i, where (a + bi) is the complex number representing the scaling factors and (x + yi) are the original coordinates of the shape.

3. Can complex numbers be used to scale a shape in any direction?

Yes, complex numbers can be used to scale a shape in any direction. The real and imaginary parts of the complex number determine the scaling factors for the horizontal and vertical directions respectively.

4. How does scaling a shape using complex numbers affect its size?

Scaling a shape using complex numbers multiplies its original size by the magnitude of the complex number. A complex number with a magnitude greater than 1 will result in a larger shape, while a complex number with a magnitude between 0 and 1 will result in a smaller shape.

5. Are there any limitations to using complex numbers for scaling a shape?

One limitation is that complex numbers can only scale a shape uniformly, meaning it will scale in all directions by the same factor. Also, complex numbers cannot be used to rotate or reflect a shape, as they only affect the size and not the orientation of the shape.