Scaled solar system ratio help

In summary, the scaled solar system ratio is a mathematical representation used to compare the sizes of planets in our solar system by dividing their actual sizes by a smaller number. This ratio helps us understand and visualize the vast differences in size between planets and can also be applied to other solar systems with accurate measurements. However, its limitations include not considering the distances from the sun and other factors such as composition and atmosphere.
autumnrose3

Homework Statement

In a scaled solar system: Earth's radius is 6,375 km, it's scaled radius is 12.75 cm. Neptune has a radius of 24,766 km; using centimeters, what would the scaled radius of Neptune be??

Homework Equations

I'm not sure what to put here; I put down what I tried below.

The Attempt at a Solution

12.75 cm
________ ... = ... ______________
637,500,000 cm ..... 2,476,600,000 cm

x= 49.532 cm

Did I do this right??

Physics news on Phys.org
yes.

Phew, thanks!

Related to Scaled solar system ratio help

1. What is the scaled solar system ratio?

The scaled solar system ratio is a mathematical representation of the size relationships between the planets in our solar system.

2. How is the scaled solar system ratio calculated?

The scaled solar system ratio is calculated by dividing the actual size of each planet by a smaller number to make the sizes easier to compare. This number is usually in the millions or billions, depending on the size of the planet.

3. Why is the scaled solar system ratio important?

The scaled solar system ratio helps us to visualize and understand the vast differences in size between the planets in our solar system. It also allows us to see the relative distances between the planets more accurately.

4. Can the scaled solar system ratio be applied to other solar systems?

Yes, the scaled solar system ratio can be applied to other solar systems, as long as we have accurate measurements of the sizes of the planets in that system.

5. Are there any limitations to using the scaled solar system ratio?

One limitation of the scaled solar system ratio is that it only takes into account the size of the planets and not their distances from the sun. It also does not take into account other factors such as the composition or atmosphere of the planets.