Scalars z such that A-zI is singular

• Thread starter dlevanchuk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scalars
In summary, by using the quadratic formula on the given equation, it is shown that there are always real scalars z such that A-zI is singular.
dlevanchuk

Homework Statement

Consider the (2x2) symmetric matrix A = [a b; b d]

Show that there are always real scalars z such that A-zI is singular [Hint: Use quadratic formula for the roots from the previous exercise ] t^2 - (a + d)t + (ad - bc) =0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I just want to see if I did the problem correctly..

First, i did the whole cross multiplication, and simplified to the required quadratic formula, given in the hint

z2 - z(a + d) + (ad - b2) = 0

Then I found roots to the above equation, but thatss where I want for you guys to double check my logic..

The roots for z1/2 = ((a + b) +/- sqrt[(a - d)2+4b2])/2 (sorry for the messy equation :-S)
Since (a - d)2+4b2 is always positive, then the root for the above equation does exist, therefore there are real scalars z such that A-zI is singular...

Is that good, or should I add something else?

Physics news on Phys.org

dlevanchuk said:

Homework Statement

Consider the (2x2) symmetric matrix A = [a b; b d]

Show that there are always real scalars z such that A-zI is singular [Hint: Use quadratic formula for the roots from the previous exercise ] t^2 - (a + d)t + (ad - bc) =0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I just want to see if I did the problem correctly..

First, i did the whole cross multiplication, and simplified to the required quadratic formula, given in the hint

z2 - z(a + d) + (ad - b2) = 0

Then I found roots to the above equation, but thatss where I want for you guys to double check my logic..

The roots for z1/2 = ((a + b) +/- sqrt[(a - d)2+4b2])/2 (sorry for the messy equation :-S)
Since (a - d)2+4b2 is always positive, then the root for the above equation does exist, therefore there are real scalars z such that A-zI is singular...

Is that good, or should I add something else?
That's fine, though you should have (a+d) instead of (a+b) in your expression for the roots.

Related to Scalars z such that A-zI is singular

What does it mean for A-zI to be singular?

When A-zI is singular, it means that the matrix A has a determinant of 0 when the scalar z is substituted into the diagonal elements of the identity matrix I. This results in a matrix that is not invertible, meaning there is no unique solution to the system of equations represented by A.

Why do we use scalars z when discussing singular matrices?

Scalars z are used to represent the values that are substituted into the diagonal elements of the identity matrix I to create A-zI. This allows us to investigate different values of z to determine at which value A-zI becomes singular. This is useful in understanding the properties of the matrix A.

What is the significance of identifying scalar values that make A-zI singular?

Identifying scalar values that make A-zI singular can provide insight into the properties of the matrix A. It can also help in solving systems of equations represented by A, as knowing which values of z make A-zI singular can help identify when a system has no unique solution.

How do we determine the values of z that make A-zI singular?

The values of z that make A-zI singular can be determined by finding the roots of the characteristic polynomial of A, which is obtained by setting the determinant of A-zI equal to 0. This will give us a set of values for z that make A-zI singular.

Can A-zI ever be non-singular?

Yes, A-zI can be non-singular if the values of z do not result in a determinant of 0. In other words, if the values of z do not satisfy the characteristic polynomial of A, then A-zI will not be singular and will have a unique solution to the system of equations represented by A.