Scalar fields and the Higgs boson

In summary, the conversation discusses the complexity of the Higgs boson and how it is described by the scalar field discussed in Sakurai's textbook. It is explained that the Higgs field is a complex doublet of the SU(2) gauge symmetry and transforms under the U(1) hypercharge symmetry. After spontaneous symmetry breaking, the Higgs particle is one of the four real scalar fields. In some extensions of the Standard Model, there are two Higgs doublets resulting in five scalar bosons. Three have electric charge zero and the other two have electric charge of +/- 1. This information is helpful in understanding the Higgs boson.
HeavyWater
This is more of a QFT question, so the moderator may want to move it to another forum.

The simplest example of a QFT that I learned was the scalar field; in Sakurai's 1967 textbook.
I know the Higgs is a J=0 particle. Is it described by the simple scalar field discussed in Sakurai's text? I ask because I hear about the complexity of the Higgs and that there may be up to 5 Higgs bosons.

Your thoughts and comments are welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, if we write the fields of the Standard Model that correspond to particles of definite mass. Then there is a real scalar field that corresponds to the physical Higgs boson.

However, if instead we use fields that have definite transformation properties under the gauge symmetries, then the Higgs field is a complex doublet of the SU(2) gauge symmetry (and also transforms under the U(1) hypercharge symmetry); that is, two complex scalar fields, equivalent to four real scalar fields. After spontaneous symmetry breaking, three of these fields end up as the longitudinal components of the massive ##W^\pm## and ##Z^0## gauge fields, and the fourth is the field corresponding to the Higgs particle.

In some extensions of the Standard Model, there are two Higgs doublets, equivalent to 8 real scalar fields. 3 of these end up as the longitudinal ##W^\pm## and ##Z^0##, and the remaining 5 are scalar bosons. Three have electric charge zero, and the other two have electric charge ##\pm1## (in units of the electron charge).

Last edited:
Thank you Avodyne. You answered my question and anticipated my next question. It's going to take me a while to digest this information. It is very helpful. Thank you.

Related to Scalar fields and the Higgs boson

1. What is a scalar field?

A scalar field is a mathematical concept used in physics to describe a physical quantity that has a single value at every point in space. This can be contrasted with a vector field, which has both magnitude and direction at each point.

2. What is the Higgs boson and why is it important?

The Higgs boson is a subatomic particle that was first theorized in the 1960s as a crucial component of the Standard Model of particle physics. Its existence was confirmed in 2012 by experiments at the Large Hadron Collider. The Higgs boson is important because it helps explain how particles acquire mass, which is a fundamental property of matter.

3. How is the Higgs boson related to scalar fields?

The Higgs boson is the quantum particle associated with the Higgs field, which is a type of scalar field that permeates all of space. The Higgs field is thought to give particles their mass through a process called the Higgs mechanism.

4. What implications does the discovery of the Higgs boson have for our understanding of the universe?

The discovery of the Higgs boson has confirmed the existence of the Higgs field and provided evidence for the Standard Model of particle physics. It has also opened up new avenues for research and may help scientists better understand the origins of the universe and the fundamental forces that govern it.

5. How are scientists studying scalar fields and the Higgs boson?

Scientists are studying scalar fields and the Higgs boson through experiments at large particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider. These experiments involve accelerating particles to very high energies and then colliding them, allowing scientists to observe the behavior of subatomic particles and potentially discover new particles or gain a deeper understanding of known ones.