The relation between mass,higgs boson, and boson field?

In summary: It is not a little bullet-like particle that buzzes around inside things.The higgs boson and boson field are two concepts that help us to understand the mass.The higgs boson is a particle that was discovered in 2012 and it is thought to be responsible for the mass of some particles.The boson field is a field that is thought to be responsible for the binding energy between the particles in the Standard Model.
Hugo Atm
In school we learn that mass is made of the amount of particles within an object!.
but then we have found something called higgs boson and boson field which is said to be responsible for an object mass. I have read how higgs boson and boson field work but I still don't understand how the higgs boson and boson field go along with the amount of particle mass theory. can someone explain it deeper to me?
Note: I'm sorry if my question is considered to be dumb or something. I'm far from smart,just curious!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi and welcome to PF.
Hugo Atm said:
Note: I'm sorry if my question is considered to be dumb
Not at all. You have asked the obvious question as a result of the way the Higg's Boson has been presented by the Media. If you know anything about anything in great depth, you will have found that the version that is given to the general public is very often 'dodgy'.

Your question is very deep and I have to say that you will need to be much more familiar with Particle Physics before you could appreciate a proper answer. (Me too, but it doesn't bother me overmuch) The best answer I can give you is that the Higgs Boson particle is not a little bullet-like particle that buzzes around inside things. I have always felt that the word 'particle' was a bad choice for such things because people assume it's a mechanical thing.
I will be interested in other answers that turn up on this thread. (At the appropriate level)

Hugo Atm said:
In school we learn that mass is made of the amount of particles within an object!.
That is a very good approximation. Take some object, count how many protons, neutrons and electrons it has, add all their masses, and you get the mass of an object to a good approximation (~1% error, I'll come to that). It does not tell you why protons, neutrons and electrons have mass, however.

For electrons, the source of mass is the interaction with the Higgs field. There are a some analogies around to describe how, but I don't like any of them.
For protons and neutrons, it is more complicated, as they are composite particles. As simplified picture, they consist of three quarks each, tightly bound together. The Higgs field gives the quarks their mass. In addition, the bonds between the quarks have a lot of energy - and special relativity tells us this contributes to the mass. Just about 1% of the mass of protons and neutrons comes from the quarks - the other 99% are from binding energy, completely independent of the Higgs field.

A binding energy is also responsible for the 1% error I mentioned earlier, but this time it is the binding energy between protons and neutrons, and (as much smaller contribution) between electrons and the nuclei.

sophiecentaur said:
The best answer I can give you is that the Higgs Boson particle is not a little bullet-like particle that buzzes around inside things.
It is also not responsible for the mass of things.

Likes odietrich and sophiecentaur
Hugo Atm said:
I still don't understand how the higgs boson and boson field go along with the amount of particle mass theory. can someone explain it deeper to me?
The masses of the particles in the Standard Model of particle physics are free-parameters which have to be determined from experiment. The Higgs mechanism gives a nice explanation for how the particles have mass, but not the mass that they have.

Related to The relation between mass,higgs boson, and boson field?

1. What is the Higgs boson and why is it important?

The Higgs boson is a subatomic particle that is theorized to give mass to all other particles in the universe. It is important because it helps explain the origin of mass and is a crucial component of the Standard Model of particle physics.

2. How does the Higgs boson interact with the Higgs field?

The Higgs boson is the particle associated with the Higgs field, which is a type of energy field that permeates all of space. The Higgs boson interacts with this field, giving mass to other particles as they pass through it.

3. What is the relationship between mass and the Higgs boson?

According to the Standard Model, particles gain mass through their interaction with the Higgs field and the Higgs boson. The more a particle interacts with the Higgs field, the more mass it has.

4. How was the existence of the Higgs boson confirmed?

The existence of the Higgs boson was confirmed in 2012 by the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN. Scientists observed the decay of other particles into Higgs bosons, providing evidence for its existence.

5. What are the implications of the discovery of the Higgs boson?

The discovery of the Higgs boson confirmed the validity of the Standard Model and provided a deeper understanding of the fundamental building blocks of the universe. It also opened up new possibilities for further research and advancements in particle physics.