Saturday Giggle --- Flat Earth Society

In summary, there are some people who believe in flat earth, creationism, and other unconventional beliefs, but still appear normal in society. Morgan Freeman's "The Story of God" contains some misinformation and biased views, and some scientists have been caught falsifying data.
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
flat earth society.jpg
hahaha

Dave

Likes cnh1995, MexChemE, CalcNerd and 8 others
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Ahh so they all live on the edge of the world.

Likes CalcNerd, davenn and Astronuc
Too funny! :oldlaugh:

Likes davenn
Long ago, I briefly knew a guy who was a full-on genuine member of the Flat Earth Society. His explanation for why planes can travel around the world and end up where they started is that "it's like following a circle around a flat disc". I never could get an explanation out of him for what happens if another plane flies in a direction initially at 90 deg to the first. o0)

But there are worse things in life. His wife was a full-on schizophrenic who "actually saw" woodland fairies and sprites when walking in a nature reserve. One of their friends could "talk to animals" and... (wait for it...) hear them talking back in plain English. :eek:

Yet, for the most part, they all carried on lives that would appear superficially normal to a casual observer.

Likes 1oldman2, davenn and ProfuselyQuarky
strangerep said:
Long ago, I briefly knew a guy who was a full-on genuine member of the Flat Earth Society. His explanation for why planes can travel around the world and end up where they started is that "it's like following a circle around a flat disc". I never could get an explanation out of him for what happens if another plane flies in a direction initially at 90 deg to the first. o0)

But there are worse things in life. His wife was a full-on schizophrenic who "actually saw" woodland fairies and sprites when walking in a nature reserve. One of their friends could "talk to animals" and... (wait for it...) hear them talking back in plain English. :eek:

Yet, for the most part, they all carried on lives that would appear superficially normal to a casual observer.
Whoa.

Well I worked with a Young Earth Creationist that would explain dinosaurs as "you can create anything you want from a pile of bones. He actually believed that scientists created the bones and buried them to be "found". You just don't argue reason with people like this, you just nod and walk away.

I'm currently watching "The Story of God" with Morgan Freeman on National Geographic. Sad, so much misinformation. He just said that the Big Bang was formed from a single point.

He admitted that he is a Christian and holds Christian beliefs. Oh well. maybe they should have found someone with an open scientific mind for this series. He seems to not believe in other religious beliefs, not open towards them. He tells the stories of other religions with an "are they joking?" attitude. Like the hindu pantheon of gods.

OMG, he just said that scientists say the Earth is 14 billion years old. :nb) I can't watch this anymore.

Last edited:
Likes collinsmark, 1oldman2, davenn and 1 other person
strangerep said:
I never could get an explanation out of him for what happens if another plane flies in a direction initially at 90 deg to the first.
Probably means you would have a hard time explaining mathematical dimensions to him.

Evo said:
scientists say the Earth is 14 billion years old.
Probably confabulated with the age of the universe.

strangerep said:
Long ago, I briefly knew a guy who was a full-on genuine member of the Flat Earth Society.
When I was younger I thought the idea of Flat Earthers was just a fun joke and that they did not exist in reality. Oh, how I miss the naivety of my youth :smile:.
Evo said:
He actually believed that scientists created the bones and buried them to be "found".
ooohkay...o0)

Likes 1oldman2, davenn and ProfuselyQuarky
Evo said:
He actually believed that scientists created the bones and buried them to be "found".
DennisN said:
ooohkay...o0)
Actually, that’s not too crazy :wink::rolleyes: Some years back, a paper was published in the journal Nano Letters discussing how nanorods of gold were fabricated in a really interesting “chopstick” formation. The chemistry blog Chembark noticed something really funny about the microscope images that were within the paper—only to reveal the nanorods were photoshopped into the “chopstick” structures. When you look at the images, it’s really badly done Photoshop work, too (actually some were saying that it's so bad, it was probably done on MS paint). It was really quite unbelievable considering that Nano Letters is a very well recognized journal and the paper about the gold nanorods was peer reviewed.

chopsticks2.jpg

Read the blog post and watch the Sixty Symbols video (I love Sixty Symbols, btw)!
http://blog.chembark.com/2013/08/14/some-very-suspicious-tem-images-in-nano-letters/

Likes DennisN, 1oldman2 and Pepper Mint
Evo said:
I'm currently watching "The Story of God" with Morgan Freeman on National Geogrpahic. Sad, so much misinformation. He just said that the Big Bang was formed from a single point.

He admitted that he is a Christian and holds Christian beliefs. Oh well. maybe they should have found someone with an open scientific mind for this series. He seems to not believe in other religious beliefs, not open towards them. He tells the stories of other religions with an "are they joking?" attitude. Like the hindu pantheon of gods.

OMG, he just said that scientists say the Earth is 14 billion years old. :nb) I can't watch this anymore.
that's dreadful information :frown:

Evo said:
Well I worked with a Young Earth Creationist that would explain dinosaurs as "you can create anything you want from a pile of bones. He actually believed that scientists created the bones and buried them to be "found". You just don't argue reason with people like this, you just nod and walk away.

I had that honour as well and he said the very same thing about dinosaur bones. On the other hand he provided amusement of a level not easily found outside of the circle of professional (and top notch) comedians, so in some small and obscure way my life was enriched.

Likes 1oldman2
strangerep said:
Just goes to show that there is "someone for everyone" in the world. :wink:

davenn said:
that's dreadful information :frown:
But in the context of "misinformation" it's dead on. :wink:

The Earth is a flat plane on the back of a turtle, I don't see how anyone could dispute that. You can even see the turtle if you take enough drugs.

Likes CalcNerd
newjerseyrunner said:
The Earth is a flat plane on the back of a turtle, I don't see how anyone could dispute that. You can even see the turtle if you take enough drugs.

I thought it was supported by 4 elephants that rode on its shell, no?

Hepth said:
It's turtles...all the way down.

Likes davenn
Hepth said:

Right. Then there are two serpents that twine around the shell. Their bodies keep the dirt from sliding off.

I used to live in Bali, where there are thousands of models of this. But no, it's just symbolic, they don't really believe it.

1oldman2 said:
strangerep said:
[...schizophrenics...]
Just goes to show that there is "someone for everyone" in the world. :wink:
If it were harmless, I'd agree. But it's not: such people tend to validate and deepen each other's psychopathy. Eventually reality intervenes and their worlds implode, leading to severe mental breakdowns and hospitalization. I've had the misfortune of observing this process a few times at (reasonably) close range. Not pretty. :cry:

Like most illnesses, schizophrenia and associated delusions need to be treated when still in the mild stage. Easy to say... :frown:

Likes Sophia and 1oldman2
Today i met a pilot for Alaska Airlines. I have been debating with my son on the flat Earth theory for years. So i asked this pilot if he thinks the Earth is flat and he laughed at me and said that it would be impossible to land an airplane on a spinning ball, "Impossible!" he said and this guy has been flying 737s in and out of southeast Alaska for the last 15 years. I just wonder what you guys have to say about that. This guy wasn't a schizophrenic, or married to one or delusional.

Could be he thought you were the flat-earther, and humored you to get on with his life.
A possibility is that he is right now he's telling a story of meeting someone who wanted to talk to him about the Earth being flat.

Likes Evo and NTL2009
Pamtastic67 said:
I just wonder what you guys have to say about that.
If we replied in detail to every piece of crackpot nonsense on the Internet, we'd never get any actual work done.

o0)

Likes davenn and Evo
Pamtastic67 said:
Today i met a pilot for Alaska Airlines. I have been debating with my son on the flat Earth theory for years. So i asked this pilot if he thinks the Earth is flat and he laughed at me and said that it would be impossible to land an airplane on a spinning ball, "Impossible!" he said and this guy has been flying 737s in and out of southeast Alaska for the last 15 years.
I think he was pulling your leg.
Pilots land on aircraft carriers, which are moving around a lot more erratically than is the earth.

Likes davenn and Evo

Related to Saturday Giggle --- Flat Earth Society

1) What is the Flat Earth Society?

The Flat Earth Society is a group of individuals who reject the scientific evidence that the Earth is round, and instead believe that the Earth is flat. They claim that the Earth is a flat disk, with the North Pole at the center and Antarctica forming an ice wall around the edge.

2) Is there any evidence to support the belief in a flat Earth?

No, there is no scientific evidence to support the theory of a flat Earth. The belief is based on outdated and inaccurate interpretations of ancient texts and flawed experiments. All modern evidence, including satellite images and GPS technology, clearly shows that the Earth is round.

3) Why do some people still believe in a flat Earth?

There are a variety of reasons why some people may still believe in a flat Earth. Some may be skeptical of mainstream science and prefer to believe in alternative theories. Others may feel a sense of community and belonging within the Flat Earth Society. Some may also simply enjoy the idea of questioning commonly held beliefs.

4) How does the belief in a flat Earth impact society?

The belief in a flat Earth has little impact on society as a whole, as the scientific evidence for a round Earth is overwhelming. However, it can lead to misinformation and confusion, and may hinder scientific progress if people reject established scientific principles and methods.

5) Are there any dangers to believing in a flat Earth?

While there is no inherent danger in believing in a flat Earth, it can lead to a distrust of science and a rejection of critical thinking. This can have negative consequences in terms of decision-making and problem-solving. Additionally, spreading false information about a flat Earth can be harmful to those who may be influenced by it.