Rapper B.o.B. says the Earth is flat; NdGT responds

In summary, rapper B.o.B. sparked controversy by claiming the Earth is flat, prompting astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson to release a diss track in response. B.o.B. may be using the attention from his controversial statement to gain publicity, as seen with other public figures. This type of behavior may stem from a fear of change and a desire for security in a confusing society.
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I saw that, flat earthers annoy me, but I have an alternative theory.

He knows that if he says something dumb, he'll end up all over reddit, 9gag, and the news in general. He's using the Donald Trump approach: say something stupid and get the spotlight on you. It's better to be seen as stupid, but relevant, than to be obscure. I'd never heard of the guy before, I'd say the strategy works.

Likes Jeff Rosenbury, 1oldman2, billy_joule and 3 others
In this case, newjerseyrunner is probably correct. Artists want to gain attention.
In other people who believe in various fundamentalist ideas (I will not write examples of such beliefs here because someone could be offended) it may be caused by fear of new social situation. Too many contradictory forces in the modern society. Too confusing.
So they choose something rock solid that has worked for hundreds of years and hold tight to it. It gives them a sense of security.

Likes 1oldman2

Related to Rapper B.o.B. says the Earth is flat; NdGT responds

1. What is the controversy surrounding Rapper B.o.B.'s claim that the Earth is flat?

In 2016, rapper B.o.B. tweeted that the Earth is flat and sparked a heated debate on social media. This sparked a response from renowned astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson who refuted the claim and provided evidence for the Earth's round shape.

2. What evidence does Neil deGrasse Tyson use to prove that the Earth is round?

Tyson explains that the Earth's curvature can be seen in photos taken from space, as well as the fact that ships appear to "sink" as they sail away due to the curvature of the Earth. He also cites the fact that different constellations can be seen in different hemispheres as evidence of the Earth's round shape.

3. Why do some people still believe that the Earth is flat?

Some people believe in a flat Earth due to a combination of misinformation, conspiracy theories, and personal beliefs. The idea of a flat Earth has been around for centuries, but modern science and technology have proven the Earth's round shape.

4. How does the belief in a flat Earth affect society?

The belief in a flat Earth can have negative effects on society as it goes against scientific evidence and can lead to a mistrust in scientific authorities. It can also perpetuate misinformation and hinder progress in various fields such as space exploration and navigation.

5. What can scientists do to combat misinformation and promote scientific knowledge?

Scientists can combat misinformation by promoting scientific literacy and critical thinking skills. Engaging in open and respectful discussions with those who hold different beliefs can also help to bridge the gap and promote understanding. Additionally, providing accessible and accurate information through various media platforms can help to combat misinformation and promote scientific knowledge.