Satisfying the Mean Value Theorem

In summary, the function satisfies the hypothesis of the Mean Value Theorem for any values of a, m, and b as long as they satisfy the equation 2 + a = m + b and the derivative of mx + b is m and the derivative of -x^2 + 3x + a is -2x + 3. Continuity is also required at x = 0.
Willowz

Homework Statement

For what values of a,m, and b does the function

{3 ,x=0
f(x)= {-x^2 + 3x +a ,0<x<1
{mx + b ,1<=x<=2

satisfy the hypothesis of the Mean Value Theorem of the interval [0,2].

Homework Equations

(f(b) - f(a))/(b-a) = f'(c)

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I wanted to make a point of continuity for the whole equation. So, I set the equation to x=1 in both cases and then equated them, and got;
2+a=m+b ---> a=m+b-2

Then, I found the derivative of the original equation and set x again to 1, then equated the two given that were diffable, and got;
m+b=1+a

Now I can't get any values for a,b, or m without getting:
3=0

I must be doing something wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Willowz said:

Homework Statement

For what values of a,m, and b does the function

satisfy the hypothesis of the Mean Value Theorem of the interval [0,2].

Homework Equations

(f(b) - f(a))/(b-a) = f'(c)

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I wanted to make a point of continuity for the whole equation. So, I set the equation to x=1 in both cases and then equated them, and got;
2+a=m+b ---> a=m+b-2

Then, I found the derivative of the original equation and set x again to 1, then equated the two given that were diffable, and got;
m+b=1+a

The derivative of mx + b is not m + b and the derivative of -x2+3x + a is not -2x+3+a. Also don't forget you will need continuity at x = 0.

Related to Satisfying the Mean Value Theorem

1. What is the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem is a fundamental theorem in calculus that states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval, then there exists at least one point within the interval where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the slope of the secant line connecting the endpoints of the interval.

2. Why is the Mean Value Theorem important?

The Mean Value Theorem is important because it provides a relationship between the average rate of change of a function and its instantaneous rate of change at a specific point. This allows us to use calculus to solve real-world problems related to motion, optimization, and more.

3. How is the Mean Value Theorem used in real life?

The Mean Value Theorem is used in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering to model and solve problems involving rates of change. For example, it can be used to determine the average velocity of an object or the maximum profit for a business.

4. Can the Mean Value Theorem be applied to all functions?

No, the Mean Value Theorem only applies to continuous functions on a closed interval that are differentiable on the open interval. If a function is not continuous or differentiable, then the theorem cannot be applied.

5. Are there any limitations to the Mean Value Theorem?

Yes, the Mean Value Theorem has a few limitations. It only guarantees the existence of a point where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the slope of the secant line, but it does not provide a method for finding that point. Additionally, it does not apply to functions with sharp corners or vertical tangents.