Satelite Tracking: Solving My Career Advancment Puzzle

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of predicting when a satellite can be seen from a given location on Earth without using a program or software. The speaker mentions the altitude, inclination angle, and circular orbit of the satellite, but is unsure of how to proceed. They ask for resources to learn about the procedure, and the other person suggests Amsat, an organization for amateur satellite spotting, as well as using a toy globe to understand key concepts such as inclination and declination.
jstrz13phys
I am completely lost. I am taking a course in Space Systems Engineering for Career Advancment. I have been asked to predict (without a program/software) when I will be able to see a satelite from a given lat, long from earth. I know the altitude is 350KM and I also know the inclination angle. It is in a circular orbit so I know what the average speed is. What I don't know is where to go next. Everytime I start I get lost - how do I handle spinnig earth, the woble the Earth has from moon, etc. I am not looking for the solution to be given to me but hopefully some websites, books etc that I can read and learn to understand the procedure. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Try Amsat.

Amsat is the amateur satelite spotters organistation http://www.amsat.org/ has a lot of useful articles and formulae.

Most of the secondary effects you mention have a very small contribution to the apparent position of the satelite - I wouldn't worry about them yet.
The important thing is to get a good intuitive picture of what inclination / declination / right ascension / alt-az mean. A small toy globe can really help!

Related to Satelite Tracking: Solving My Career Advancment Puzzle

1. What is satellite tracking?

Satellite tracking is the process of monitoring and predicting the position and movement of satellites in orbit around the Earth. This is typically done using ground-based tracking stations, which receive signals from the satellites and use mathematical calculations to determine their precise location.

2. How does satellite tracking work?

Satellite tracking works by using a combination of ground-based tracking stations and satellite transmitters. The tracking stations receive signals from the satellites and use specialized equipment and software to determine their location and movement. This information is then used to update satellite orbit models, which can accurately predict the position of the satellites in the future.

3. What are the practical applications of satellite tracking?

Satellite tracking has a wide range of practical applications, including weather forecasting, navigation, telecommunications, and scientific research. It is also used in military and defense operations, as well as tracking and monitoring space debris and other objects in orbit.

4. How is satellite tracking used in career advancement?

Satellite tracking can be used in a variety of industries and fields, including aerospace engineering, remote sensing, and satellite communications. By gaining expertise in satellite tracking, individuals can advance their careers in these fields and become valuable assets to companies and organizations involved in satellite technology.

5. What skills are needed for a career in satellite tracking?

A career in satellite tracking requires a combination of technical skills, such as proficiency in programming, data analysis, and satellite communication systems, as well as strong mathematical and problem-solving skills. Additionally, knowledge of satellite operations and orbital mechanics is essential for success in this field.