Predict Satellite Sighting: A Space Engineer's Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of predicting when a satellite will be visible from a given location on Earth, without the use of a program or software. The individual is taking a course in Space Engineering and is struggling with where to go next in the process. The first law of physics is suggested as a starting point, and drawing a diagram is recommended to visualize the Earth's rotation and the satellite's orbit. Spherical trigonometry is also mentioned as a resource for further calculations.
jstrz13phys
I am completely lost. I am taking a course in Space Engineering. I have been asked to predict (without a program/software) when I will be able to see a satelite from a given lat, long from earth. I know the altitude is 350KM and I also know the inclination angle to the equator. It is in a circular orbit so I know what the average speed is. What I don't know is where to go next. Everytime I start I get lost - how do I handle spinnig earth, the woble the Earth has from moon, etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
First law of physics, if in doubt - draw a picture!
Assume you are on the equator (just for starters) draw the circle surface of the Earth and then a parralel circle orbit 350km away.
Draw a straight line at a tangent to where you are standing on the earth, this is the horizon, you can see the satelite once it is above this line.
Knowing the radius of the Earth and drawing a couple of triangles should give you the angle betwen the satelite rising and setting, since there are 24 hours in a full circle this gives you length of time you can see it from where you are standing.
Obviosuly with no other data you can only give a relative answer in terms of X mins before and after it is overhead.

Beyond that you are going to have to hit the dreaded spherical trig books !

I understand that predicting satellite sightings can be a complex task. However, there are certain steps you can follow to make the process easier. First, you need to determine the orbital period of the satellite, which can be calculated using the altitude and average speed information you have. Next, you can use the satellite's inclination angle to the equator to determine its path over the Earth's surface.

To account for the Earth's rotation and wobble caused by the moon, you will need to use a mathematical model that takes into consideration the Earth's rotation and orbital movements. This model can be found in many scientific resources or can be generated using a programming language. Once you have the model, you can input the satellite's orbital parameters and your location on Earth to predict the time and location of the satellite's sighting.

It is also important to note that atmospheric conditions and the satellite's orientation can affect its visibility from Earth. Therefore, it is recommended to consult with a professional or use a satellite tracking software to confirm your prediction.

In conclusion, predicting satellite sightings may seem challenging, but by following these steps and using the right resources, you can make accurate predictions. Remember to always double-check your calculations and consider external factors that may affect the satellite's visibility.

Related to Predict Satellite Sighting: A Space Engineer's Guide

1. What is "Predict Satellite Sighting: A Space Engineer's Guide"?

"Predict Satellite Sighting: A Space Engineer's Guide" is a guidebook that provides information and techniques for predicting when and where a satellite will be visible from a specific location on Earth.

2. How accurate are the predictions in "Predict Satellite Sighting: A Space Engineer's Guide"?

The accuracy of the predictions in "Predict Satellite Sighting: A Space Engineer's Guide" depends on a variety of factors such as the type of satellite, its orbit, and atmospheric conditions. However, the guidebook provides advanced techniques and tools that can help improve the accuracy of the predictions.

3. Who can benefit from using "Predict Satellite Sighting: A Space Engineer's Guide"?

"Predict Satellite Sighting: A Space Engineer's Guide" is designed for space engineers, astronomers, and anyone interested in tracking and observing satellites. It can also be useful for educational purposes and for individuals who enjoy stargazing.

4. Do I need any special equipment to use "Predict Satellite Sighting: A Space Engineer's Guide"?

While having a telescope or binoculars can enhance the satellite viewing experience, they are not necessary for using "Predict Satellite Sighting: A Space Engineer's Guide". All you need is a clear view of the sky and the information provided in the guidebook.

5. Is "Predict Satellite Sighting: A Space Engineer's Guide" updated regularly?

Yes, "Predict Satellite Sighting: A Space Engineer's Guide" is regularly updated to ensure accuracy and to include new satellites and orbital changes. It is important to check for updates and use the most recent version of the guidebook for the most accurate predictions.